Problem with connecting my keyboard to my computer

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Yamaha NP-31 and I want to connect it to my computer so i can record music. I have a midi interface USB cable and I use Cubase 5 for the software part. My computer recognize when i plug in the cable, but when i'm in Cubase I can't get any audio from the keyboard. I have looked at different tutorials on how to hook up a Midi device to Cubase but I no sound is being picked up. Cubase recognize that I have connected a Midi in and out. I wonder if there is a driver or something that could solve the problem. And also Cubase does not include the Yamaha NP-31 in the list of different Midi devices, so i have to define a new.

Reaction score
In the setup or options in Cubase you have to tell the program you are using an USB-device not a midi.
If the keyboard has an USB-B connector just use a printercable between keyboard and PC.

Reaction score
Your midi connectivity may be working correctly. However, MIDI data is not audio. MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface and is essentially a protocol that allows instruments and computers to talk" to each other. The MIDI data contains information on the note(s) , octave(s), trigger on, trigger off, volumne , sustain, portamento, etc that are being played on the keyboard. This data is the basis used by Cubase for creating (recording) a MIDI sequence. My midi interface does not show a particular instrument when connected, however it does show when MIDI data is being input. Are you not receiving MIDI, or were you expecting audio to be received via the MIDI connection?

Reaction score
1. Where in Cubase would that be then?
2. Okay, but so how should i connect the piano then(it has a 6.3mm jack or 6.4 im not sure which and midi in + out no USB-B jack). Also on the midi cable there is a little device which I think it shows if it's connected or not, there is 3 lights on it - "Midi", "In" and "Out", and only the "Midi" is glowing while connected.
3. If I switch the Midi in connector into the Midi out connector the "In" light starts flashing.

Reaction score
Another thing, I do have - Behringer Xenyx 302 USB which I use with my microphone but would it work if i could connect the keyboard through it? In the brochure it shows a picture of a keyboard connected to the mixer with rca cables. But then my question is, would it be better to have a 6.3mm to rca cable or a 3.5mm (with a 6.3mm adapter on it) to rca cable. Will there be a difference?

Reaction score
Well it's solved now, i know how to get it to work, I just need to buy the cable needed. Thanks for the replies, now I know a little more about what even Midi is :).

Reaction score
Yes, since you have the Behringer Xenyx you can just buy the correct cable and record the audio from your Yamaha into Cubase. Glad you figured it out. Don

Ask a Question