Problem with FA-06

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting to be able to use my FA in my current setup to record .

I have an FA-06 that goes into a Presonus Audiobox96 which goes into a MacBook Pro.

What is happening is when I open Reaper-Add a Track-Add an FX, Arturia Pigments, and I can't get any sound when I hit the FA's keys.

When Pigments opens in Reaper I can use the programs keys but not the FA-06's physical keyboard..

It works that way with all my keyboard programs.

As a stand-alone they all work perfectly.

It's just when in Reaper and I add them as an FX, which opens the program in Reaper, and Reaper opens it IN Reaper that only the Programs keyboard works. Not the FA's physical keys.

I'd obviously really like to have the FA's keyboard work.

I've had this problem and I've been trying to figure it out for two months now...

It's time to tackle this problem.

Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Its 2 years since I let my FA go - replaced wit a Fantom 7....

However, you will need to enable external control and be in the correct track on the Fantom - and its ending midi notes in of course not audio... A midi monitor (freely available) can help track down if the FA is actually sending midi in (so a config on the FA if its not) OR if its reaper not configured to accept the note (device, channel etc).

Reaction score
Its 2 years since I let my FA go - replaced wit a Fantom 7....

However, you will need to enable external control and be in the correct track on the Fantom - and its ending midi notes in of course not audio... A midi monitor (freely available) can help track down if the FA is actually sending midi in (so a config on the FA if its not) OR if its reaper not configured to accept the note (device, channel etc).
I'm leaning towards a Reaper Config or Arturia Config.

I ran through everything I could find on what to do with the FA. Local off. Vender. All else I could find.

As I stated when I open Reaper, add a track, select Pigments. Pigments opens in Reaper. The program window has a keyboard. The program's keyboard works great and I have normal meter movement.

The FA keyboard does not work though....

Outside of Reaper, all the programs work great as a stand-alone.

Reaction score
Sounds like Reaper isn't configured to accept external midi notes... or if it is not on the correct channel. Remember the FA transmits on one channel per track - so track 1 is midi channel 1m track 6 is midi channel 6. Its fine if reaper is get to global (in which case its not set up for external midi notes), but not if its channel specific.

I used to use reaper but use Studio one now - but I remember have a few headaches configuring that for my fantom for playing VSTs originally.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is with Reaper or the Roland.

I seem to recall that when I owned an Arturia Keylab Essential 49, that the VSTi's bundled with the keyboard simply refused to work with any other keyboard input.

It's one of the main reasons I sold off the Keylab and uninstalled the bundled software.

My advice is to use a different VSTi.

You could always email Arturia to confirm whether or not this is how it is.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is with Reaper or the Roland.

I seem to recall that when I owned an Arturia Keylab Essential 49, that the VSTi's bundled with the keyboard simply refused to work with any other keyboard input.

It's one of the main reasons I sold off the Keylab and uninstalled the bundled software.

My advice is to use a different VSTi.

You could always email Arturia to confirm whether or not this is how it is.

Gary ;)
I emailed them yesterday asking if they had any ideas. Usually they are real quick. Kinda slow this time.

Reaction score
Sounds like Reaper isn't configured to accept external midi notes... or if it is not on the correct channel. Remember the FA transmits on one channel per track - so track 1 is midi channel 1m track 6 is midi channel 6. Its fine if reaper is get to global (in which case its not set up for external midi notes), but not if its channel specific.

I used to use reaper but use Studio one now - but I remember have a few headaches configuring that for my fantom for playing VSTs originally.

Wow, I have no idea how to do that. Looks like I have a ton of studying before I hit the record button. With just the FA it all works in Reaper great. But going through Arturia its a headache.

Reaction score
The answer would seem to be..dont use arturia.....Thats said I tried the demos version of pigments and had no problem using my Fantom 7 as a controller - so it seems its just setup in Pigments.

Reaction score
The answer would seem to be..dont use arturia.....Thats said I tried the demos version of pigments and had no problem using my Fantom 7 as a controller - so it seems its just setup in Pigments.
As a standalone it works perfect.

When I open it in Reaper the programs, Arturia, keyboard works perfect.

When I open it, Pigments, in Reaper I can not use the FA's physical keyboard.

That's the big problem.

I have a thread in the Reaper Cuckos Forum and also the Roland Forum on the FA's in Newbieland.

I'm just getting my but kicked on this.

I have a Korg D-3200 that I guess I will have to use as Reaper is letting me down.

There's one guy on Reaper's Forum that I think is on the right track helping me.

I am hoping so but if anyone at all has an idea I'd love to hear it.

I'm reading in my room/mini studio so I can try right away.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Here it is

Attachments

• Reaper2.jpeg
    Reaper2.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Reaper1.jpeg
    Reaper1.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 12

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's no point in bumping this kind of thread. The regulars have all read it and now you're going to have to wait until someone googles the same issue and finds it in the archives.

I presume you haven't heard from Arturia yet, but as I said earlier, I had a marvellous collection of VSTs bundled with my Keylab Essential 49 once and they worked with EVERYTHING, UNTIL:...

Arturia pushed a Firmware/Software update on me and suddenly I lost the ability to play those VSTi's with any other brand of keyboard input.

It had a pretty crappy keybed anyway but that was the last straw that forced me to get rid of it.

I found a wonderful controller from Monoprice for a third of the price and it has properly weighted keys and is TOTALLY MIDI USB Class Compliant.

So please wait a few weeks before bringing this thread back at least until you've actually heard from Arturia.

I own several other Arturia controllers BTW. Beatstep, Beatstep Pro, Keystep and they are all wonderfully class compliant. BUT!!! I will never update their firmware on the chance that Arturia's IP paranoia forces them to stop being useful as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary.

I'm gonna just sell my in PERFECT shape FA-06. Its in immaculate shape. I still have the original box. I can get enough to buy a controller like you have AND Arturia V Collection 8.

Again thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's entirely up to you.

If you are happy with that choice, then go ahead.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm a hardware guy.

I learned a long time ago that software breaks much more easily and rapidly than a vintage synth EVER does.

The FA-06 is still a modern classic.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Oh Boy.

I just got a new card.

That Keyboard you spoke of is only 199.00 for 88 keys.

I guess I'll keep the FA and get the Mono keyboard also.

I'm new at using anything but the FA on Reaper.

Now trying to get Pigments to work with it is difficult.

Maybe the MONO will make using Pigments easier.

Thanks again for the insight.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're not turning back after the first pothole in the road.

Truth is, the life of an electronic musician is full of hacks, kludges and marginal compatabilities.

That FA-06 has more transistors in it than the entire Houston Space Command Center during the Moon landings.

Synths are complicated beasts and sometimes the learning curve can be steep.

Happy trails :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question