Problem with MIDI - Yamaha PSR GX76

Reaction score
Hello!, I'm having troubles with a MIDI to USB Adapter and the yamaha keyboard.. What is the problem?

everytime when i connect the midi adapter in the yamaha , FL studio for example, start to do weird things every second like start reproducing the project and stopping itself, like if i started to press spacebar every second ( is the play & stop button), ramdom notes what i press dons't listening and more things

(other case is in synthesia, when i press one note the program dons't detect the notes anymore)

i opened MIDI-OX to see and in the monitor this was appearing a lot of time:

5b6859d73c.jpg

and when I played some keys quickly this is what i got in the monitor...

ab77084f78.png

3886cbaf24.jpg

c85ade9162.jpg

what can be?, 2 week before i didn't have this problem until now

the midi to usb adapter will the problem?

Greetings

-Kevin

PD: Sorry if i can't speak english very good .. i'm still learning so , advice me where i made a mistake

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Those messages look very odd indeed.

First of all, F9 and FD are-- as MIDI-OX says-- undefined System messages. When you connect your keyboard to your computer and use MIDI-OX to monitor its MIDI messages without playing anything, it's normal to see F8 messages repeated constantly, as F8 is the Timing Clock message. The fact that you're seeing F9 instead of F8 suggests that either the keyboard is turning on bit 0 when it shouldn't be (thus changing the F8 message into an F9 message), or the MIDI-to-USB adapter/cable is faulty. In addition to the constantly-repeating F8 Timing Clock message, it's normal to see the FE Active Sensing message occurring once every so many F8 messages. The FD message that you're seeing looks like it might be a garbled FE message, except in that case the problem is with bit 1 as well as bit 0:

FE = 1111 1110 = Active Sensing
FD = 1111 1101 <-- bit 0 should be 0 not 1, and bit 1 should be 1 not 0

F8 = 1111 1000 = Timing Clock
F9 = 1111 1001 <-- bit 0 should be 0 not 1 (and bit 1 should be 0 anyway)

Furthermore, the PSR-GX76 doesn't have any Channel Aftertouch or Polyphonic/Key Aftertouch, so you shouldn't be seeing any of those D7 Channel Aftertouch or A0 Key Aftertouch messages.

Assuming you're using a USB-MIDI driver with the MIDI-to-USB adapter, I would recommend uninstalling that driver, reinstalling it, and seeing if that helps-- although I doubt that the driver is the problem, and I offer that suggestion purely to try to cover all of the bases.

The next step would be to try a different MIDI-to-USB adapter/cable. Although I've never had to use one myself, I've read that a lot of cheap MIDI-to-USB adapters are prone to errors. And even if the adapter wasn't cheap and has worked flawlessly for years, any cable can get damaged from too much wear and tear.

One more thing you might want to do is go to the Elektrotanya website and download the Service Manual for the PSR-GX76 (http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=psr gx76&kategoria=&kat2=all). Note that when you click on the link for the manual it will take you to another page where (usually) the cover of the requested manual will be displayed, with some lines of text below the cover image. You must wait patiently for a bit-- usually for close to a minute, if not slightly longer than a minute (I've never timed it)-- until you see the "Get manual" link appear at the end of one of the lines of text. Then you can download the manual [EDIT: by clicking on that link]. Look up the section for the "Test Mode," which begins on page 22 of the manual. Running the test mode may or may not help-- there's a "Check MIDI" test which requires using a standard MIDI cable to connect the keyboard's MIDI Out port to its MIDI In port (i.e., so the keyboard can send MIDI messages to itself), and that should allow the keyboard's test mode to detect whether the MIDI data is being sent and received as expected, although I don't know how thorough that test is.

Reaction score
Kevin

If turning LOCAL off, as Gary suggested, to prevent a MIDI loop, does not help, do a Factory Reset. Power the keyboard off and disconnect it from the computer. Then hold down the right-most (highest) white key as you power it on. Try playing the keyboard without connecting it to the computer. If it will not play correctly, then the problem is with the keyboard. If it plays OK, reconnect it to the computer. If that works OK, then you reset whatever the problem was, but if the problem returns as soon as you connect it to the computer and load the software, then the computer software is sending something that is confusing the keyboard's operating system.

Last edited:

Ask a Question