Problem with my keys!

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just bought a Roland RD2000 a little under 2 months ago. If you haven't heard them, they sound amazing!
Anyway, I got to a gig last night and took it out of the gig bag to find two keys stuck in the down position, almost like something bent them. I did get them back up, but they're slow to return when I'm playing. Has anyone ever had this happen?
I baby this thing, and it was never dropped or anything. The only thing I can think of is that I brought it inside the night before and leaned it on its side against a wall.
Wondered if anyone here ever had it happen and what you did about it. I can't send it away right now due to so many gigs.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've no idea what the problem could be, but I wanted to give some general advice. If you lean a keyboard against a wall, make sure you aren't standing it up on one of its sides. For one thing, gravity might be pulling the innards in a direction they weren't intended to go (laterally), which might cause a problem. Also, the weight of the keyboard pressing down on the end that's against the floor could cause a crack in the body or worse. But most importantly, if it slides or falls over and hits the floor hard, it could damage the keyboard. Anything that costs a good bit of money should be treated like it's worth a good bit of money.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Another thought-- If you had leaned it up on one end (which you did not say, so this is all hypothetical), and the side where the keys are was leaning against the wall (or bottom of unit facing out into the room), then the weight of the keyboard may have been pressing the last few keys against the wall, equivalent to holding them down very forcefully. If it's under warranty then I'd recommend taking it to a Roland-certified repair shop at your earliest time of convenience to see if there's any damage to that portion of the key bed that can be fixed.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's probably a couple of broken keys or hammers. No biggie. If it's under warranty they'll fix it as long as you tell them it simply happened while playing. Not abuse. (ie. Leaning it up against a wall.)

Or if it's outside warranty it's a relatively simple DIY fix if you look at a couple of youtube videos on keyboard repair.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, just a hypothesis mind you, but if the temps were below freezing the night you brought it inside and leaned it aainst the wall, then the cold may have made the mechanisms a little more brittle.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
BTW, just a hypothesis mind you, but if the temps were below freezing the night you brought it inside and leaned it aainst the wall, then the cold may have made the mechanisms a little more brittle.

Gary ;)

Spoken like a true northerner! If it had been someone from the deep south, they might have said "The extreme heat may have partially melted the innards of your keyboard, and the parts hardened back into a severely warped condition when you took the keyboard back into your air-conditioned home." :eek:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like it or not, half the world's population has to deal with some kind of real winter.

I seem to recall orange crops in Florida destroyed by unexpected arctic blasts and have driven thru the Carolinas when a half inch of snow wreaked havoc with the highways.

I actually saw a 10 ton snow plow that had run itself into a ditch in Virginia after an inch of snowfall. :D :D :D Meanwhile three crazy Canuks with snow tires were bombing down the interstate at 70 mph :D

Do not mock us whose blood runs cold 6 months of the year. :eek:

It ain't all unicorns farting rainbows down south either :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question