Problem With My Yamaha PGx-640....

Reaction score
Hi, there! I just posted in the "introduction" thread. I'm having a problem with the newest one I have, though: In the upper register, when I hit the second to highest "G" or "F" note, I hear a strange "buzzing"-type sound coming from the keyboard. It just started doing this today. Is it the speaker, itself, and, if so, is it repairable and what can be done and how much will it cost me? I thank you again for having me. I will post more often!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Tony, welcome aboard. :)

It's hard to do a proper diagnosis with so little information.

Here's a couple of things you could do to help narrow down the problem.

Check the keyboard for loose parts. Unplug it from power and pick it up and hold it upside down and give it a few gentle shakes. Does anything rattle inside? It may be a loose screw or some other part rattling around.

If nothing is obviously loose, try taking a two foot length of rubber hose and using it as a stethoscope to try and pinpoint where the buzzing is coming from.

Anyway, report back to us here after trying these steps.

Reaction score
I'm sorry I haven't returned to this thread until now. The holidays were a rough time for me regarding my personal life and my health has been fluctuating up and down (I have Cerebral Palsy/Hydrocephalus).

There are some keys in the upper register (including both the black keys and white ones - don't know of the technical term for these if there is one - where the sound just has very little "life" and the notes just sound "deader than four o' clock" with almost no sustain. I'm hoping that might help some of you help me diagnose the problem.....

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you!

God Bless,
Tony Trout

Reaction score
On my DGX 620 I have a piano setting which seems to contain undesireable features of some acoustic pianos. . . I believe the Japanese have a sense of humour after all . . I use this setting more now than I used to.If you`ve played a natural piano, you`ll know what I mean! Just enjoy the instrument; nothing`s perfect!

Reaction score
I have played a natural piano and I know that there is something going on with this one that shouldn't be going on. As mentioned before, there's no "life" or "sustain" in notes 69-71 (white/black/white keys) in the upper register and I would really like to know if it can be repaired? :(:(

Wes

Reaction score
I second the headphones suggestion. You may have found a "dead frequency" range in your room, where reflections from the wall occur out-of-phase with the generated sound, resulting in reduced sound output due to destructive interference.

Reaction score
Have you tried it with headphones?

I don't have any headphones to try it with. And it didn't start doing this until when I posted about it - after having already sat there in the same place in my room and it was playing fine and I was enjoying playing it very much - now that enjoyment is a bit less because of this little problem (which I wish I knew how to fix on my own). I've noticed that when I bend the pitch-bend wheel, it seems to stop but the notes above will have that same flat/dead sound. I've thought of just having them replace the whole keyboard but...I know I probably can't now. I had the guys at the music shop where I bought it take a listen and they couldn't tell anything - but, like I said before, I know when I'm hearing something that shouldn't be there.

Wes

Reaction score
Wow, I don't think I know *anybody* without an iPod or Walkman or something.

Ask a Question