problem with sound coming out of headphones

Discussion in 'General Keyboard Discussion' started by mark vaughan, Dec 25, 2014.

1. mark vaughan

mark vaughan

I wondered if anyone can help me and I will try to explain the best I can , I have a korg pa 300 and a set of beats head phones , I have a adapter plug that connects into keyboard and the headphones into that when I listen there is only part of the keyboard sounds coming out like its muted ? ok the adaptor has two black rings on it which I believe is stereo the end of beats cable pin has three black rings on it , the beats headphone play fine in my ipod and another set of head phones plugged into adaptor plays fine through keyboard , I not sure where the problem lies ? do I need a mono adaptor ? it baffles me why another set of head phones works ok in the keyboard and the beats one works ok in ipod ?

btw its not the keyboard as the same problem happened in my old Yamaha psr e333

any help would be great

thanks mark

mark vaughan, Dec 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. mark vaughan

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

Yes, two black rings indicate a stereo or "TRS" plug.

Three black rings indicate a "TRRS" plug, which apparently adds a microphone input(?).

I'm thinking that if the headset has a 3.5mm TRRS plug and the keyboard takes a 6.35mm TRS plug, then the adapter needs to be designed for that-- i.e., the female end needs to be made to accept a 3.5mm TRRS plug and the male end needs to have a 6.35mm TRS plug. I can't find one of those on the web, but they do have 3.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapters-- so if you get one of those then you can plug the headset into it, then plug it into the 3.5mm-to-6.35mm adapter.

Edit: For example, http://www.scansound.com/index.php/4-conductor-trrs-to-3-conductor-trs-3-5mm-adapter.html

SeaGtGruff, Dec 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. mark vaughan

mark vaughan

ok thanks for help , the pin end that goes into headphones has two rings on ,my local electrical outlet has a 3.5mm cable with both ends with 2 rings on I wonder if that may do the job ? so that both ends will be trs ? on the headphone cable, and plug one trs end into 6.5mm trs adaptor and other end into my headphones , I did try and swap the ends around on headphones so trrs end went into headphone socket and trs end into adaptor but still didn't work as the head phone female socket must be trs also

mark vaughan, Dec 25, 2014
  4. mark vaughan

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

I don't know; you can try it and see. I'm not sure why the cable (that came with the headphones???) has a TRRS plug on one end and a TRS plug on the other end. Were there any instructions with the headphones that mentioned the TRRS plug at all?

SeaGtGruff, Dec 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements