Problems playing the keyboard

ash

Reaction score
Hi my name is Ash, I'm 41 and im a wheelchair user. I have limited movement and i can only use my left hand, not fully. I want to play the keyboard but i find that the songs i want to play are too fast and my fingers won't move quickly enough. I've had a go at playing with midi files but again the songs i like are a bit quick so i don't play. I'm a big fan of Queen so i want to have a repertoire of Queen songs but again, they're too quick and if i slow the tempo it won't be like the original. Only my thumb 1st and 2nd fingers work more than the other fingers. Can you help me to get a list of Queen songs that aren't too fast please? I like the rocky songs as appose to ballads. Thank you.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's okay for a performer to change the tempo of a song-- unless the specific intent is to faithfully recreate a recording with note-for-note and beat-for-beat accuracy, such as tribute bands do. Some of the most memorable "cover" versions of well-known songs are where a performer has dramatically changed the tempo or style of the song.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I agree an artist can change tempo or stye of a well known song and make it his/her own. Sometimes new versions are better than originals.

But a tribute band should replicate the original tune the way it was played by the original artist. It should sound authentic to the best of ability. If it is changed in anyway by tempo or different key or different lyrics or changing its genre (say from blues to rap - eg.) Then that is not a genuine tribute.
faithfully recreate a recording with note-for-note and beat-for-beat accuracy, such as tribute bands do.
"Faithfully Recreate" - love that :) @SeaGtGruff

btw
@CowboyNQ does faithfully recreate Pink Floyd in his tribute band. Perfect in everyway.

Ray.

Reaction score
I personally think that if you should perform the songs you want to play in your own tempo and with your own arrangement.

With Bohemian Rhapsody being the slowest in the list Paul posted you cannot get any better than that, even We Will Rock You can be played slow on the keys yet sung at normal tempo. Make each arrangement your own.

You are not alone in being limited in how you can play, my old arthritic hands means that fast runs are totally impossible, I am so much more comfortable with songs with a slow tempo.

ash

Reaction score
I've found a Queen song that is quite slow called My Melancholy Blues. It has a fast run in the intro, how would i get around that? What I'd like to know is for the piano chords, could i play 5ths rather than a triad? so for C major i would play C and G while the file plays the whole chord. For Cminor could I play C and G?

Reaction score
Yes, play a Root and a fifth if that works for you

For minor, 7th, Diminished chords etc why not try playing the root and a note that is different to one that is part of the Major chord

So if C = C E G for:-

C major - C G

C minor - C Eb

C7 - C A# or C B for C7M

C dim - C Gb

and use the same principles for other chords.

If you have say a long sequence of the same chord so instead of playing the Root and 5th you can add variation by playing R 6, R 3, R 4, etc.

Whilst it is not Queen, have you thought about playing a bit of Blues piano? You can very quickly learn how to improvise and in doing that you only need to play one or two notes at a time. Eg a Blues in A minor uses only notes
A C D Eb E G so why not try playing these notes and see just what a wonderful sounding riff you can soon achieve.

Reaction score
Just had another thought which for this old timer is like a light being turned on.

You mentioned that playing along with a MIDI can be a bit fast for you.

My suggestion is that you play along with yourself, you create your own backing sequence on your keyboard, save it and then play it back whilst playing more chords or the melody line. So you are then part way to creating essentially your own MIDI file.

Your keyboard probably has some form of recording function.

If you advise what keyboard you are using then one of us is likely to have a fair idea of the keyboard.

ash

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for ideas. I found this site, https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/instrumental-mp3/queen/ which i want to play along with on my keyboard which is a yamaha E453. How do i play these files through the keyboard?

Another thing, what do i play while the track is playing? i don't know what to do because the track is playing and it's playing all the parts. When a guitar solo is playing aswel what do i play?

Reaction score
Another thing, what do i play while the track is playing? i don't know what to do because the track is playing and it's playing all the parts. When a guitar solo is playing aswel what do i play?
Two answers here Ash:
1. Whatever you want - refer some of your earlier threads for similar advice
2. This website you have highlighted allows you to create custom backing tracks. So you can mute any instrument you like and play that part if you wish.

Reaction score
Ash

What are you using for your Queen songs regarding the score, chords, melody lines etc?

What I am getting at is if you are using say a bound book of Queen scores then they will show the lyrics and when the chord changes are and what the chords are. You could then play along to the MIDI using the sheet music as a guide as to the chord you play and when you play it.

If your MIDI is in a different key then it is a case of transcribing the sheet music you have into the key of the MIDI, this is not as difficult as it may seem.

For individual transcribed songs then Ultimate Guitar will have many Queen songs transcribed by musicians, the available scores have the lyrics and chords shown above the lyrics where there is a chord change. The beauty if the website is if you want the song in a different key you change it and the whole of the song has the chords changed to suit the key change. Do not be put off by the Guitar name it is aimed at rhythm guitar backing, but is still very workable for keys.

ash

Reaction score
nothing at the moment. I was given a website to download karaoke tracks, what do i play on my keyboard whilst the track is playing, chords? isn't that boring, playing just the chords?

Ask a Question