Problems using midi controller to trigger NC2X factory sounds.

LuR

Reaction score
I’m trying to use my Axiom 49 to play my NC2X factory organ sounds. I can get other sounds to play (on channels 3 or 4) and can even get a couple organ sounds (pipe organ and reed organ at 0/19 and 0/20) but for Jazz organ, Drawbvib, and 888-pure, which should be at 0/17, 0/16, 0/18 (bank/program) there’s nothing. Any clues as to why or what to do? Any help is appreciated as I have a few songs that need more than 2 splits.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I’m trying to use my Axiom 49 to play my NC2X factory organ sounds. I can get other sounds to play (on channels 3 or 4) and can even get a couple organ sounds (pipe organ and reed organ at 0/19 and 0/20) but for Jazz organ, Drawbvib, and 888-pure, which should be at 0/17, 0/16, 0/18 (bank/program) there’s nothing. Any clues as to why or what to do? Any help is appreciated as I have a few songs that need more than 2 splits.
Experiment, try setting the organ on the NC2x to send on MIDI channel #1 and set the axiom to transmit (for those programs) also on MIDI channel #1.
I have seen specific software and hardware where the controls must be sent on MIDI channel 1. Case in point, Hammond. Their XM2 module can be set to any 3 consecutive channels in order to control upper manual, lower manual and pedals separately, however the controls for those manuals (drawbar, expression pedal, percussion, C/V) must be sent on Channel #1, even if the unit is set to receive on channels 3,4 and 5. It's stupid but reality, it took me a while to figure this out when I had my XM2, then once I figured out what was going on I wrote Hammond and they confirmed controllers always must be sent on Channel 1 regardless of the other settings.

Here is the note from 8 years ago from Hammond:

Hello Dave
To answer your question in your second paragraph: Based on our tests here, continuous controller data is sent out on MIDI Channel 1 only. Therefore, although you can set the Upper, Lower and Pedal on whatever channel you wish, that only represents Note and Velocity data, not Controller data.

Ad

Advertisements

LuR

Reaction score
Experiment, try setting the organ on the NC2x to send on MIDI channel #1 and set the axiom to transmit (for those programs) also on MIDI channel #1.
Thank you for responding. I think I understand what you are saying. I can get the organ sounds on the Axiom if I have both on channel 1 or 2 and have midi out from NC2X to midi in on my Axiom but that defeats the purpose because it is duplicating an instrument already assigned to the NC2X. I have songs where I need to go beyond the 2 layers/splits that I can get only using the NC2X so I want to trigger the Numa's sounds from the controller on ch 3 or 4 (which I can do for almost any sound except the one I need). I'm trying to figure out if one of the boards is having a problem and I should be able to get the organ sounds at the programs mentioned in my previous post, or if it is a compatibility issue and I just won't be able to trigger those NC2X sound from my controller.

Ask a Question