PSR-290 DIY repair? "Semi"-dead key. HELP

Reaction score
My friend's touch sensitive PSR-290 keyboard has a key that only sounds "sometimes". So it's not "dead" but it only plays when you bang on the key pretty hard. The repair shop in our area wants $80 an hour (for a $200 keyboard) so I told her I'd take a look at it for her. First thing I did was look into the keys with a flashlight and it was FILTHY (cat hair, dust, etc.). So I took a compressed air can and blew out as far as I could get under the key and surrounding ones and sure enough after messing with it for a minute, it worked good as new. A couple of hours later her cat jumped up on the keyboard and the key went back to only working sometimes again. I want to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. I'm sure it needs one. I've never taken a portable keyboard apart before. Am I right to assume it probably just needs to be cleaned? Seems funny that the key would only work sometimes. I'd expect it to either work all the time or not at all. Is there anything I need to be careful of when pulling it apart? Has anyone ever dealt with something similar? THANKS for ANY information. She doesn't have much money so I don't want to break her keyboard any more than it already is. I'm really hoping it's something simple like cleaning or switching out a part. THANKS.

Ask a Question