PSR-295 device not recognized in Win 7

Reaction score
Hi - d/l'd and installed PSR295 drivers (32 and 64 bit), and installed appropriate version on both desktop (Win 7 32bit) and laptop (Win 7 64bit). After trying to connect keyboard to either computer, driver install program cannot find the keyboard and install fails. Both computers recognize that a USB device has been plugged in, so I'm eliminating the connecting cord as a problem. And the USB ports on both computers work fine with other devices. Anybody know if the drivers (from Yamaha site) are somehow invalid, or incompatible with Windows 7 somehow? FWIW, the keyboard has worked fine on the 64bit laptop for a loong time. So I'm guessing either a Microsoft update, faulty driver software, or I have a hardware problem. I have reset the keyboard - didn't think it would help, and of course it didn't. If my problem is hardware-related, has anybody any experience/info on a possible fix? Should I even think about looking inside the keyboard for a connection problem?
Thanks for your help!!!

-JD

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have a PSR-295, but I presume you need Yamaha's USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.3 (32-bit or 64-bit, as appropriate).

If possible, use a USB 2.0 cable. I don't know that a USB 3.0 cable will be a problem; Yamaha says not to go over USB 2.0, but that might pertain to USB thumb drives rather than USB cables.

Connect the keyboard directly to the computer-- don't use a USB hub.

Reaction score
I don't have a PSR-295, but I presume you need Yamaha's USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.3 (32-bit or 64-bit, as appropriate).

If possible, use a USB 2.0 cable. I don't know that a USB 3.0 cable will be a problem; Yamaha says not to go over USB 2.0, but that might pertain to USB thumb drives rather than USB cables.

Connect the keyboard directly to the computer-- don't use a USB hub.
Thanks - hmmmm. I have plugged directly into both computers, but Device Manager _is_ showing a USB hub, so I'll explore tomorrow. FWIW, I've had a successful keyboard-to-pc connection as recently as last month, using the same cable, USB port, computer, etc. However, I _did_ delete the driver, and as stated, the (recently) downloaded driver will not complete it's install. Actually, I believe the cable is the one that came with the keyboard when I bought it, FWTW. And, I've tried other similar cables. I'm gonna try Happyrat1's suggestion, also, tomorrow. Let you both know how it goes.

As an aside, does anyone know where I can download the PSR-295 driver itself, without the installation wrapper? Preferably the 64 bit. Thanks, a lot!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Have you also tried letting windows search for the proper driver itself?

Just go to Control Panel/Device Manager select the unknown USB device and from there I think it's properties to search for the best drivers.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
As far as I know, Yamaha doesn't have keyboard-specific drivers, just OS-specific, so the 64-bit Windows driver version 3.1.3 for any of the Yamaha keyboards should work.

Reaction score
Have you also tried letting windows search for the proper driver itself?

Just go to Control Panel/Device Manager select the unknown USB device and from there I think it's properties to search for the best drivers.

Gary

Hi, Gary. Nope, didn't even cross my mind. Gonna give it a shot. Obviously, the drivers are not on the computer (that I can find), so I hope that windows can find a driver - definitely not one local, that I can find. I even tried the original CD that came with the keyboard. As I remember, it allowed me to install a USB driver, back in the day. But for the life of me, I can't find that option on the disk now. Just says to rtfm, basically. FWIW, I tried (on the Win 7 x64 computer) to install both x86 and x64 driver versions, and tried each straight up (again), and tried each in Win XP sp2 mode, AND tried each in Win 98 mode, for kicks). Each time, I got the 25001 error. Online research has shown others with similar problems, but no clear solution. One Yamaha-suggested solution was a registry hack to delete multiple midi keys - I tried it also. No go. At this point, I'm leaning towards a hardware (prob keyboard side) issue. I'm wondering if the USB cable (serial!) somehow isn't completely connected, although Windows indicates that "unknown" hardware has been detected and/or removed, as the case may be.

Reaction score
As far as I know, Yamaha doesn't have keyboard-specific drivers, just OS-specific, so the 64-bit Windows driver version 3.1.3 for any of the Yamaha keyboards should work.

Hi,Michael, and thanks. The drivers (um3131x86 and um3131x64) that I've downloaded from Yamaha's site are wrapped in an install program. As stated, the install program does not complete, so the drivers are never installed. As I mentioned to Gary, I dug out the original disk that came with the keyboard. For some reason, I can't get it to "work". I just browsed through the files on the disk, and there IS what appears to be driver files (XGUSB.DRV and YMIDUSB.SYS). My next step is to try to use these as Gary suggested, with probably a Win XP compatibility mode. I'm also hoping to find, somewhere, current x64 driver(s) that are standalone - as in, do not need an install program to use. Obviously, the install program manipulates the registry, but perhaps someone has figured out how to do it manually? Dunno. Either way, thanks for keeping me on point...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BLOODY HELL! they have an EIGHT PAGE driver installation guide file too!

Crap like this is the reason why I don't buy Yamaha products :p

Read the troubleshooting section on Page 8. Yamaha must write the crappiest drivers in the universe. :p

Attachments

• umd_en_ig_M0.pdf
    531.8 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
This might be a long shot, but check your version of Windows 7-- it needs to be Service Pack 1, the driver won't work otherwise. Also check out the other requirements:

Win 7 Requirements.png

You shouldn't need to install in compatibility mode. However, if you don't meet the requirements for Windows 7 then you might want to try an earlier version of the driver-- if you can find it on Yamaha's web site.

Another suggestion is to check in Control Panel under Programs and see if it lists the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver. If it does, try uninstalling it, then installing it again, just in case it was partially installed and the incomplete installation is interfering with a fresh installation.

Reaction score
On the Yamaha Download Page there are also legacy drivers listed for Win98/ME

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...boards/portable_keyboards/psr-295/?mode=model

Have you tried one of those as well? Might be worth a shot.

Also if anything is stored in a CAB file you might be able to extract the drivers with a CAB extractor program.

There's also a FAQ entry on their site about verifying a driver install.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...keyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-295/592/4181

Gary
Hey Gary. I think I'll try the legacy drivers tomorrow after work, just in case. FYI, there are no CAB files in the Yamaha driver download(s). Download is a ZIP file, containing a "SETUP.EXE" program, with instruction files, etc. No driver file - it's apparently wrapped within the SETUP program. I'd do anything for a CAB file (or any other direct version of the driver). I received an email from a Yamaha rep today - offered me the following advice:

1) Unplug the USB cable between the keyboard and computer.
2) In Windows START MENU click search.
3) Type cmd to open the command line.
4) Type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (without "") then press enter.
5) Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without "") then press enter.
6) When Device Manager opens, click VIEW, then select Show Hidden Devices.
7) Locate and delete and references to the Yamaha USB MIDI driver or Yamaha
keyboards.
8) Connect the USB cable between the keyboard and computer.
9) Reinstall the USB MIDI driver.

I found no Yamaha references, and told him so. I'm awaiting his reply. Posted the above in case it helps someone else. Anyway, I'll try some more tomorrow, I guess. Thanks for staying with me here...

Reaction score
This might be a long shot, but check your version of Windows 7-- it needs to be Service Pack 1, the driver won't work otherwise. Also check out the other requirements:

View attachment 444

You shouldn't need to install in compatibility mode. However, if you don't meet the requirements for Windows 7 then you might want to try an earlier version of the driver-- if you can find it on Yamaha's web site.

Another suggestion is to check in Control Panel under Programs and see if it lists the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver. If it does, try uninstalling it, then installing it again, just in case it was partially installed and the incomplete installation is interfering with a fresh installation.
Hi, Michael. My laptop (the Win 7 x64) exceeds all of the system requirements (2.5 Ghz, 4G RAM, 61G free, Win7 sp1). I uninstalled a Yamaha driver before I started this thread. I wasn't sure if it was the current driver, so I wanted to update to the most recent driver (um3131x64). So, the old (working!) driver is gone, and I can't install any driver whatsoever. Gonna try legacy driver(s), as I mentioned to Gary. I'll find an answer here, somehow... :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Also, I was just reading on another forum where someone else was having trouble installing the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver on a Windows 7 computer. Someone pointed out to him that

"When you install the Yamaha USB MIDI driver, the keyboard needs to be connected to the computer by USB cable and switched on, or the install will fail!"

I noticed the Yamaha rep mentioned reconnecting the USB cable, but I didn't see any references to turning the keyboard on afterward.

Ask a Question