PSR 60 No Sound

Reaction score
Hi all, a neighbour has asked me to look at her keyboard (Yamaha PSR60) which she has had stored away in her attic. She wants to give it away to a young girl she knows. However she couldn`t find the power lead and bought 6x D batteries for it. The power-light comes on but thats about it, no sound and no other lights working. She decided to get a new power-lead for it on-line and after trying that to no avail has asked me to have a look at it
That was 72hrs ago, I know nothing about Keyboards but Technically i will strip most things that dont work and try to find and fix the problem.
I have Googled the model and watched all videos and sourced the manual and stripped the keyboard down 3 times, Found Nothing and Fixed nothing. I was suprised to read it was made in 1985, as it is in great condition inside and out. I Have cleaned all connections, tried the reset trick (Holding The Far Right White C key Down for a Few Seconds Before Powering Up) I also removed all the keys and cleaned the dust out from every Corner. I also tried Headphones but still no sound. I have Found that holding certain buttons down while powering on puts some lights on (normally 4 lights) Any advice would be brilliant (Good or Bad) I am Thinking Scrap it but just looking for an experts opinion. Thank You.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm no expert man, but jeez either scrap it or sell it to a circuit bender on ebay for $10 plus shipping. Or sell it as parts. It all depends on your devotion to saving the planet :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Memory modules were not as stable then as they are today which can lead to the degradation of the programme resulting in non operation.

Given the lower end of the segment that the keyboard would have been marketed at quality electronics components would not have been high on the designers criteria.

Send it to a recycling centre.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not worth trying to understand what is wrong with it with any further analysis that you've already done., here is one and you can see what its worth:

You can see what the idiot thinks he can get for it.

NOT what it's actually worth. :p

It's actually worth about $30 in working order at a garage sale.

Like I said, trash it or recycle it depending on how you feel about the environment.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply`s guys (Happy/Biggles/Dave) Now i have the Confidence to tell the owner that it is Major and not Minor ;) Without feeling any Guilt that it was worth any more time. As i said in 1st post the woman has Bought new Batteries and Power-lead, So she`s at a guess £30 Out of Pocket already and all because she promised the Keyboard to a young girl she knows and didn`t want to let her down.

Some Days Your The Statue,
Some Days Your The Pigeon.

Reaction score
You can see what the idiot thinks he can get for it.

NOT what it's actually worth. :p

It's actually worth about $30 in working order at a garage sale.

Like I said, trash it or recycle it depending on how you feel about the environment.

Gary ;)
Your are on the Ball (Happy) I found an advert on Shpock while googling this Yamahahaha bad boi. And This was Sold with a Stand for the K/B and Frame for Music Notes. Ian :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 17-11-00 Yamaha psr-60 keyboard with stand in SG15 Henlow for £20 00 ...png
    Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 17-11-00 Yamaha psr-60 keyboard with stand in SG15 Henlow for £20 00 ...png
    243.2 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
I think many PSR 60 have the exact same issue. Could be fine to know how to solve/repair instead of just trash them !!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If rewiring kiddie keyboards floats your boat, google "circuit bending"

There's a whole community but they don't hang out here.

Ask a Question