PSR-620 + GOTEK Floppy Emulator

Reaction score
Hi all

I desperately need some help on getting the GOTEK 720kb flash drive module (replaces the 720kb 2DD Floppy Disk Drive) to work in my PSR-620.

I have partioned a 3GB USB memory stick into 100 720kb Virtual floppies as directed, and to test it I saved a Style file into partition 001,. But when I then plug in the memory stick into the module in the PSR-620 and select Disk 001 on the module, the keyboard just thinks I have inserted an unformatted Floppy Disk and freezes on the "Format - Are you Sure?" message on the display.

I can't find any instructions online specifically for the PSR-620, but I've seen photos and some YouTube performers playing a PSR-620 and loading files using the GOTEK module installed.

Hope someone out there knows and can help me get it working!!!

Many thanks
Boro94

Reaction score
Have you tried letting the 620 format the drive?

Often when keyboards format a drive, it is more than a format, they create folders and subsequent files placed on the device have to be placed in the correct folder.

PS
I would delete your duplicate post, one post here always gets a response

Reaction score
Have you tried letting the 620 format the drive?

Often when keyboards format a drive, it is more than a format, they create folders and subsequent files placed on the device have to be placed in the correct folder.

PS
I would delete your duplicate post, one post here always gets a response

Hi

The PSR-620 immediately says "Unformat" in the display and insists I execute the format procedure even without a USB pendrive plugged into the Gotek module. It won't let me cancel it or anything. It seems to be confused that there's an unformatted floppy disk inserted. It does the same if I power on with the USB pendrive inserted.

I'm definitely using the right module:
GOTEK SFRM72-FU-DL for Yamaha keyboards with original 720KB 2DD floppy drives - PSR-620, 1700/2700, W5, W7, SY85

Reaction score
I just went through a two days session trying to find out why my Roland E96 never worked with a GOTEK drive. While I don't know much about the Yamaha I am pretty experienced by troubleshooting the GOTEK at this time.

All the GOTEK drives are equal. There is no difference between an AMIGA GOTEK and a Yamaha GOTEK. The operations are defined in the firmware. Today we have a generic firmware that works with all GOTEK hosts.

You could start by flashing the lates firmware from flashfloppy to the GOTEK.
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

I would pick the latest version v13.3a

Plus follow the directions in how to install the firmware.

Then create an image of exactly 737280 bytes or 1474560. It does not matter what is in these files as you want to let Yamaha format it. The names DSKA0000.IMG, DSKA0001.IMG ... are the default way to name these.

Then create a file FF.CFG that resides in the root directory of the USB stick. Don't change anything in this FF.CFG file (except the signal usage pin02, pin34)

Here I was trying out different options for days until I found out that the only thing I needed to do was to change two variables:

pin02 = dens
pin34 = rdy

After these changes my Roland E96 was able to read/write both 720k and 1.44m floppy images correctly.

The options you have for the pins are
Values: auto, nc, low, high, rdy, nrdy, dens, ndens, chg, nchg

My guess is that you need to assign rdy to (pin02 or pin34) to get it to work. The other could be (nc, chg or dens).

A good extra tool is to also install the log-firmware from /apt/log. It will tell in real text what the GOTEK is doing. After you have added the logfile then the startup is no longer FF but Lo. Once everything works you can flast the original firmware again to get back to normal.

The log produces a file called FFLOG.TXT to the USB drive. Here is an example from one of my runs:

Code:
Build: Mar 13 2020 08:20:14
Board: Standard
Config: Factory Defaults
Interface: Shugart (pin2=chg, pin34=rdy)

Display: 2-Digit LED

> USBH_USR_Init
> USBH_USR_ResetDevice
> USBH_USR_DeviceAttached
> USBH_USR_ResetDevice
> USBH_USR_DeviceSpeedDetected
> Device speed: Full
> USBH_USR_DeviceDescAvailable
VID : 152D
PID : 2338
> USBH_USR_DeviceAddressAssigned
> USBH_USR_ConfigurationDescAvailable
> Class connected: 08 (MSC)
Manufacturer : JMicron
Product : USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge
Serial Number : 000001D91CA0
> USBH_USR_EnumerationDone
> USBH_USR_UserInput
Cache 104 items
Config: Written to Flash Slot 9
0:F: 'DSKA0144.HFE'
Cache 104 items
Mode: Native
Current slot: 0/0
Name: 'DSKA0144' Type: hfe
Attr: 20 Clus: 000015f0 Size: 4215808

[lost 82067]
191 (4096)... 8053 us
Write 8192-12287 (4096)... 8086 us
Write 12288-16383 (4096)... 8108 us
Write 16384-20479 (4096)... 8016 us
Write 20480-24575 (4096)... 8019 us
Write 24576-28671 (4096)... 8004 us
The problem in my case was that all posts on the net claimed that it is enough to select "shugart" or "ibmpc" and I am ok. The "ibmpc" did not work at all as it had pin02=nc and pin34=chg. The "shugart" appeared to work occasionally but after power on/off it just said "unformatted disk".

While I have no clue of how a Yamaha PSR-620 works my guess is that you should first try to find out where the rdy pin needs to be. And then find out what the 2nd pin does.

If the Yamaha PSR-620 is about the same age as Yamaha DX7II-FD then you may need to do a small hw mod that is described in https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms#yamaha-dx7ii-fd

I wish you luck with the GOTEK. My GOTEK was in a cupboard for many years and now I finally started to work with it as I am stuch home in isolation. Here is a small isolation rock'n'roll played by me, and playbacked through GOTEK on my Roland E96.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I went ahead and deleted your duplicate thread, since this thread is getting responses.

Reaction score
I just went through a two days session trying to find out why my Roland E96 never worked with a GOTEK drive. While I don't know much about the Yamaha I am pretty experienced by troubleshooting the GOTEK at this time.

All the GOTEK drives are equal. There is no difference between an AMIGA GOTEK and a Yamaha GOTEK. The operations are defined in the firmware. Today we have a generic firmware that works with all GOTEK hosts.

You could start by flashing the lates firmware from flashfloppy to the GOTEK.
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

I would pick the latest version v13.3a

Plus follow the directions in how to install the firmware.

Then create an image of exactly 737280 bytes or 1474560. It does not matter what is in these files as you want to let Yamaha format it. The names DSKA0000.IMG, DSKA0001.IMG ... are the default way to name these.

Then create a file FF.CFG that resides in the root directory of the USB stick. Don't change anything in this FF.CFG file (except the signal usage pin02, pin34)

Here I was trying out different options for days until I found out that the only thing I needed to do was to change two variables:

pin02 = dens
pin34 = rdy

After these changes my Roland E96 was able to read/write both 720k and 1.44m floppy images correctly.

The options you have for the pins are
Values: auto, nc, low, high, rdy, nrdy, dens, ndens, chg, nchg

My guess is that you need to assign rdy to (pin02 or pin34) to get it to work. The other could be (nc, chg or dens).

A good extra tool is to also install the log-firmware from /apt/log. It will tell in real text what the GOTEK is doing. After you have added the logfile then the startup is no longer FF but Lo. Once everything works you can flast the original firmware again to get back to normal.

The log produces a file called FFLOG.TXT to the USB drive. Here is an example from one of my runs:

Code:
Build: Mar 13 2020 08:20:14
Board: Standard
Config: Factory Defaults
Interface: Shugart (pin2=chg, pin34=rdy)

Display: 2-Digit LED

> USBH_USR_Init
> USBH_USR_ResetDevice
> USBH_USR_DeviceAttached
> USBH_USR_ResetDevice
> USBH_USR_DeviceSpeedDetected
> Device speed: Full
> USBH_USR_DeviceDescAvailable
VID : 152D
PID : 2338
> USBH_USR_DeviceAddressAssigned
> USBH_USR_ConfigurationDescAvailable
> Class connected: 08 (MSC)
Manufacturer : JMicron
Product : USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge
Serial Number : 000001D91CA0
> USBH_USR_EnumerationDone
> USBH_USR_UserInput
Cache 104 items
Config: Written to Flash Slot 9
0:F: 'DSKA0144.HFE'
Cache 104 items
Mode: Native
Current slot: 0/0
Name: 'DSKA0144' Type: hfe
Attr: 20 Clus: 000015f0 Size: 4215808

[lost 82067]
191 (4096)... 8053 us
Write 8192-12287 (4096)... 8086 us
Write 12288-16383 (4096)... 8108 us
Write 16384-20479 (4096)... 8016 us
Write 20480-24575 (4096)... 8019 us
Write 24576-28671 (4096)... 8004 us
The problem in my case was that all posts on the net claimed that it is enough to select "shugart" or "ibmpc" and I am ok. The "ibmpc" did not work at all as it had pin02=nc and pin34=chg. The "shugart" appeared to work occasionally but after power on/off it just said "unformatted disk".

While I have no clue of how a Yamaha PSR-620 works my guess is that you should first try to find out where the rdy pin needs to be. And then find out what the 2nd pin does.

If the Yamaha PSR-620 is about the same age as Yamaha DX7II-FD then you may need to do a small hw mod that is described in https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms#yamaha-dx7ii-fd

I wish you luck with the GOTEK. My GOTEK was in a cupboard for many years and now I finally started to work with it as I am stuch home in isolation. Here is a small isolation rock'n'roll played by me, and playbacked through GOTEK on my Roland E96.

Hi Karri

Thanks for your response

I'll try the firmware upgrade

But even then will the GOTEK recognise this and initiate the update itself from the USB stick? since it is connected to the PSR-620 internally? The PSR-620 does not act like a PC, so I can't run the log-firmware to see what the GOTEK is doing whilst it's running. :-/

Also you say creating IMG files? Is this the only way the GOTEK will read as "Virtual Floppy Disks" those being as image files?
How do I create a Floppy Image file with the style files I want on that? Do I do this on the batch software on my PC after dropping files into the partitions and clicking save - then 'Export as IMG file"? - Is that the correct process?

Reaction score
The GOTEK is actually a STM32 microcontroller. The floppy interface pins have nothing to do with firmware upgrades.

The GOTEK runs the log functions by itself and creates the log file on the stick.

There is instructions of how to do the firmware upgrade. I upgraded mine by having the GOTEK sitting on my table. Then I just connected a Raspberry Pi serial console cable with 4 wires: ground, 5V, Rx and Tx to the GOTEK and flashed the chip using a software called stm32flash that I downloaded following the instructions.

There is another path to flash using the USB connection. I have not tried that one.

The GOTEK will run the upgrades also from the USB stick once the firmware it runs is "flashfloppy".

There may be several ways to work with files. Directories, floppy images, who knows what. The GOTEK firmware should now support all modes. My choice was to use floppy images.

I am an Ubuntu user (linux). So if I want to create a style disk I need to mount the image as a floppy. It goes like this on a linux box.

dd bs=1024 count=1440 if=/dev/zero of=HipHop.IMG

this creates a 1.44m image with zeroes

sudo mkfs.vfat HipHop.IMG

this formatted the image file to FAT32

sudo losetup --find --nooverlap HipHop.IMG
sudo losetup --list --associated=HipHop.IMG

this command would return a new storage device. In my case it was /dev/loop22

sudo mount /dev/loop22 /mnt -o umask=000

this command makes the floppy content visible at the directory /mnt and gives the user permissions to read and write files.

cp styles/HIPHOP.STL /mnt
cp styles/HIPHOP2.STL /mnt

This would put files on the floppy image

sudo umount /mnt

this unmounts the floppy disk image

sudo losetup --detach /dev/loop22

the last command detaches the loop device.

Now I can just copy the file HipHop.IMG to the USB stick.

I am sure there are easier and better ways to do this. But this is the way I created my style disks.

I also used sensible names for my styles instead of DSKA0001.IMG etc. They just worked as well.

My guess is that you could also create directories on a FAT32 USB disk and style files there directly and not bother with images.

But my guess is that you need a working FF.CFG file first.

Your PC batch stuff is something I know nothing of. Perhaps it is the way to go for Windows.

edit: I just checked the flashfloppy Wiki and it does not work with individual style files. You need to use images for everything. And the images must be the right size.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The GOTEK is actually a STM32 microcontroller. The floppy interface pins have nothing to do with firmware upgrades.

The GOTEK runs the log functions by itself and creates the log file on the stick.

There is instructions of how to do the firmware upgrade. I upgraded mine by having the GOTEK sitting on my table. Then I just connected a Raspberry Pi serial console cable with 4 wires: ground, 5V, Rx and Tx to the GOTEK and flashed the chip using a software called stm32flash that I downloaded following the instructions.

There is another path to flash using the USB connection. I have not tried that one.

The GOTEK will run the upgrades also from the USB stick once the firmware it runs is "flashfloppy".

There may be several ways to work with files. Directories, floppy images, who knows what. The GOTEK firmware should now support all modes. My choice was to use floppy images.

I am an Ubuntu user (linux). So if I want to create a style disk I need to mount the image as a floppy. It goes like this on a linux box.

dd bs=1024 count=1440 if=/dev/zero of=HipHop.IMG

this creates a 1.44m image with zeroes

sudo mkfs.vfat HipHop.IMG

this formatted the image file to FAT32

sudo losetup --find --nooverlap HipHop.IMG
sudo losetup --list --associated=HipHop.IMG

this command would return a new storage device. In my case it was /dev/loop22

sudo mount /dev/loop22 /mnt -o umask=000

this command makes the floppy content visible at the directory /mnt and gives the user permissions to read and write files.

cp styles/HIPHOP.STL /mnt
cp styles/HIPHOP2.STL /mnt

This would put files on the floppy image

sudo umount /mnt

this unmounts the floppy disk image

sudo losetup --detach /dev/loop22

the last command detaches the loop device.

Now I can just copy the file HipHop.IMG to the USB stick.

I am sure there are easier and better ways to do this. But this is the way I created my style disks.

I also used sensible names for my styles instead of DSKA0001.IMG etc. They just worked as well.

My guess is that you could also create directories on a FAT32 USB disk and style files there directly and not bother with images.

But my guess is that you need a working FF.CFG file first.

Your PC batch stuff is something I know nothing of. Perhaps it is the way to go for Windows.

edit: I just checked the flashfloppy Wiki and it does not work with individual style files. You need to use images for everything. And the images must be the right size.
I am totally confused at the jargon here, sorry!

FF.CFG file - how do I open this on the PC to change the pin02 and pin34 to "dens" and "rdy" ???

I have copied the UPD file from the FlashFloppy download on Git Hub onto USB stick, pressed both buttons on the Gotek when I put the USB back in and powered on - the display went "F21" then "129" and did nothing else

Can someone simplify the instructions? I am not technical minded sadly

Thanks

Reaction score
How do I create IMG file of 737280 bytes as well?

I have no idea what I am doing. The GOTEK does not seem to respond to these files on the USB stick. I have tried 3 different USB sticks

Reaction score
I will search for a refurbished Floppy Disk Drive of the original kind
It is too frustrating and complicated to operate the GOTEK as wanted

Reaction score
You can edit the FF.CFG file with Notepad on a Windows computer.

Here is my version of FF.CFG http://79.125.115.174/pics/FF.CFG

You can also download a 720K image from my site http://79.125.115.174/pics/DSKA0000.IMG

My floppy drive is ok I just did not want to use floppies anymore. If you send me your address I can mail it to you.
Hi karri

Do I just need to try copy and paste your CFG and IMG file into the USB and plug it in? But then how do I partition it into 100 partitions if it needs formatting on the PSR-620 and then get it to read style files and midi files ? It just sounds very over complicated. I expected the GOTEK to plug-&-play just like a traditional floppy disk without any technical problems.

That is very kind of you to offer - are you sure you are happy to do that?. Is it the same Matsushita EME-213-YN drive for 720kb 2DD diskettes?

Many thanks

Reaction score
The GOTEK is more technical and cumbersome than a real floppy drive. One 720k file like DSKA0000.IMG is one partition. If you need 100 disks you need to have 100 files like DSKA0000.IMG, DSKA0001.IMG...

There is a program called DosDrive.exe that you can also put on the USB stick. By starting the program DosDrive.exe you have a graphical tool for adding and removing files from the floppy image. The exe is in the archive http://79.125.115.174/pics/HxCFloppyEmulator_soft_beta.zip

The GOTEK does not understand what is in a partition file. The partition is just a bunch of bytes. 720k bytes to be exact. If you format the partition with the Yamaha it will believe that the file DSK0000.IMG is a floppy and it creates a filesystem in that file. Later you can read/write styles and songs that gets stored in the DSK0000.IMG.

You could also install a GOTEK in your PC. Then you could see the USB stick in the PC as a floppy drive just like the Yamaha does. No need for cumbersome software :)

My drive is a Panasonic JU-257A166P and it has a lot of switches to toggle.

The switches on the original Roland E96 drive are as:
Sw1 (RY or DC) Set as RY
Sw2 (OUT NC IN) Set as OUT
Sw3 (D0 D1) Set as D0
Sw4 (IN OUT) Set as IN
Sw5 (PC AT P2 SE) Set as PC
Sw6 (MO MS) Set as MO

My guess is that there is enough configuration switches to get it to work as a Matsushita EME-213-YN.

This drive was already on the pile that I will take to re-cycling. If you want it send your snail-mail address to (e-mail address removed). I will send it economy as a gift. If you want you can send me the postage through PayPal later.

But I still suggest you keep the GOTEK. Apart from moving files back and forth to a PC it works really nice. I just need my 8 user styles, performance memory save/restore and songs that I record.

One day your floppies don't work anymore. I have already lost several floppies to unreadable state. Fortunately I copied all my styles and performance settings to a hard disk before it happened.

You could buy a programming cable from AdaFruit. Or a similar one from ebay. Flashing the first firmware worked with this one for me. You may need to solder a few pins to the GOTEK for firmware programming. I had to do it on my unit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The GOTEK is more technical and cumbersome than a real floppy drive. One 720k file like DSKA0000.IMG is one partition. If you need 100 disks you need to have 100 files like DSKA0000.IMG, DSKA0001.IMG...

There is a program called DosDrive.exe that you can also put on the USB stick. By starting the program DosDrive.exe you have a graphical tool for adding and removing files from the floppy image. The exe is in the archive http://79.125.115.174/pics/HxCFloppyEmulator_soft_beta.zip

The GOTEK does not understand what is in a partition file. The partition is just a bunch of bytes. 720k bytes to be exact. If you format the partition with the Yamaha it will believe that the file DSK0000.IMG is a floppy and it creates a filesystem in that file. Later you can read/write styles and songs that gets stored in the DSK0000.IMG.

You could also install a GOTEK in your PC. Then you could see the USB stick in the PC as a floppy drive just like the Yamaha does. No need for cumbersome software :)

My drive is a Panasonic JU-257A166P and it has a lot of switches to toggle.

The switches on the original Roland E96 drive are as:
Sw1 (RY or DC) Set as RY
Sw2 (OUT NC IN) Set as OUT
Sw3 (D0 D1) Set as D0
Sw4 (IN OUT) Set as IN
Sw5 (PC AT P2 SE) Set as PC
Sw6 (MO MS) Set as MO

My guess is that there is enough configuration switches to get it to work as a Matsushita EME-213-YN.

This drive was already on the pile that I will take to re-cycling. If you want it send your snail-mail address to (e-mail address removed). I will send it economy as a gift. If you want you can send me the postage through PayPal later.

But I still suggest you keep the GOTEK. Apart from moving files back and forth to a PC it works really nice. I just need my 8 user styles, performance memory save/restore and songs that I record.

One day your floppies don't work anymore. I have already lost several floppies to unreadable state. Fortunately I copied all my styles and performance settings to a hard disk before it happened.

You could buy a programming cable from AdaFruit. Or a similar one from ebay. Flashing the first firmware worked with this one for me. You may need to solder a few pins to the GOTEK for firmware programming. I had to do it on my unit.
Hi karri

The issue I face is that the Yamaha PSR-620 immediately demands to format a floppy disk when I turn the power on even without USB stick inserted in the GOTEK drive. Even if I do so with a USB stick inserted it doesn't truly format it. The PSR-620 seems to be formatting an imaginary disk that is not in there. I think it could be a fault with the PSR-620 not recognising the signal from the GOTEK correctly.

Yes OK I will take your original Roland E96 floppy disk drive if that is the one you were going to send me? Or is the Panasonic drive the original E96 drive?

I am happy to send postal cost via PayPal yes.

I will email you my postal address

Many thanks

Reaction score
Hi Boro94,
I found this article very helpful with setup (jumpers), installation and use of the Gotek emulator. It is in french and english.

https://www.linuxrouen.fr/wp/musiqu...lecteur-de-disquettes-3-5-720-ko-2dd-13799/2/
Good Afternoon Mr. Karri. I landed here on your post looking for information on installing the Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL on the YAMAHA PSR620 keyboard. To work I made an adaptation as described in the French link that you posted here in your post. I adapted the 34-pin connector to 24-pin. After installing Gotek on the PSR620, the PSR620 recognized the Pendrive and asked to Format, I executed and formatted the Pendrive normally on the PSR620. Following the tests, the Yamaha PSR620 recognized the Gotek SFRM72, I went to the computer, formatted the pendrive in the USB Floppy ManegerII V1.31T software, creating 30 virtual disks, when I inserted the pendrive formatted in 720K in the Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL or Gotek it only recognizes a disc, even pressing the front buttons of the Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL to change discs it doesn't change, it just shows the d0 disc. That's my problem the Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL is only recognizing disk zero, it doesn't recognize the other 30 disks created by Software USB Floppy ManegerII V1.31T. Can you, with your experience and wisdom, help me with this Gotek problem recognizing only Disk Zero, d0? Thank you for your attention.

Reaction score
Hi @olimpioportilho,
Here is a link to the User manual for
Floppy to USB emulator
Model: SFRM72-FU-DL

https://www.linuxrouen.fr/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Gotek_SFRM72-FU-DL_F21_User-Manual-EN.pdf

I had a little trouble trying to understand how to use the GOTEK with this manual.

So here are my comments which I hope will help you.

Firstly the USB Flash Drive.

Use a normal USB flash drive to transfer files.
Format as FAT32. I did this on my Windows 10 PC.

DO NOT use USB Floppy ManegerII V1.31T software

Create folders in the root of the flash drive 001, 002, 003…….999. Make as many as you need. You can add more later if needed. So now if you open the flash drive in Windows File Explorer you will see the folders 001, 002, etc that you made.

I have a copy of all the floppy discs that I had saved my compositions to, on my PC. The files from each floppy are saved in PC folders disc1, disc2, disc3, etc. I have about 20 floppy discs and a couple of Yamaha Styles floppy discs.

So I copied all the files in PC folder disc1 to USB flash drive folder 001, PC disc2 to USB 002, etc

Note; Each folder must have less than 720KB, just like the original floppy discs.

Now comes the tricky part.

BEFORE inserting USB into GOTEK you need to set the display on the GOTEK to show the folder # you want to transfer to the GOTEK.

With NO USB flash drive plugged into GOTEK:
Press the Left button to increase the tens-digit, the Right button to raise the units-digit, and press both buttons together to raise the hundreds-digit.

For example, if I want to use the files on my floppy disc 15, I would need to press the left button once and the right button five times and the display should be showing [015]

NOW insert the USB drive into the GOTEK.
Now press the RIGHT button to transfer the files from folder 015 into the GOTEK internal memory.
The display will change to [ d0] while transferring and then back to [015] when complete.
You can now remove the flash drive if you want.

Now you should be able to access all the files that were on disc 15 by pressing the {FILE} and {LOAD} buttons on the Keyboard just as you would have done after inserting floppy disc 15 into the old floppy drive setup.

Hopefully, you can work out the save procedure using the GOTEK LEFT button. Just remember to set the USB folder # before inserting the USB into the GOTEK.

I hope you find this helpful.
Mark

Reaction score
First of all It's a pleasure to meet you. My sincere thanks for your help. I did everything the way you explained, the moment I chose disk zero Gotek displayed perfectly d0 and loaded the files to the memory of the Yamaha PSR620, the keyboard performed perfectly. When choosing disk 002 or 015 etc, Gotek didn't show d0, blinked fast and didn't read the files. reading the installation manual, I decided to install a new Firmware version, everything went perfectly, Gotek updated to the new version 4.6A, but now another problem has appeared, Gotek is showing on the FF display, ram 34, and see 6.4A, and it doesn't come out of that, I don't know now what the next steps are, what to do from now on. How to get out of disdo now?

Reaction score
Hi olimpioportilho
I was glad to hear that it worked for one folder.
I am sorry, but I am not much help now that you have done the firmware update.
I would try to restore the Gotek to the original firmware. But I don't know how to do that.
You could go to Gotek web site and ask for help there.
Or you could buy a new Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL for Yamaha PSR-620 and DO NOT do a firmware update.
Regards

Reaction score
Hi all

I desperately need some help on getting the GOTEK 720kb flash drive module (replaces the 720kb 2DD Floppy Disk Drive) to work in my PSR-620.

I have partioned a 3GB USB memory stick into 100 720kb Virtual floppies as directed, and to test it I saved a Style file into partition 001,. But when I then plug in the memory stick into the module
Hi karri

Do I just need to try copy and paste your CFG and IMG file into the USB and plug it in? But then how do I partition it into 100 partitions if it needs formatting on the PSR-620 and then get it to read style files and midi files ? It just sounds very over complicated. I expected the GOTEK to plug-&-play just like a traditional floppy disk without any technical problems.

That is very kind of you to offer - are you sure you are happy to do that?. Is it the same Matsushita EME-213-YN drive for 720kb 2DD diskettes?

Many thanks
Hi karri

The issue I face is that the Yamaha PSR-620 immediately demands to format a floppy disk when I turn the power on even without USB stick inserted in the GOTEK drive. Even if I do so with a USB stick inserted it doesn't truly format it. The PSR-620 seems to be formatting an imaginary disk that is not in there. I think it could be a fault with the PSR-620 not recognising the signal from the GOTEK correctly.

Yes OK I will take your original Roland E96 floppy disk drive if that is the one you were going to send me? Or is the Panasonic drive the original E96 drive?

I am happy to send postal cost via PayPal yes.

I will email you my postal address

Many thanks
Good evening Boro94,
I'm trying to edit the FF.CFG and img.CFG files for my Yamaha PSR620, starting from scratch without help from someone who has already done it is very difficult, would you be able to send a copy of your pendrive with the FF.CFG and img.CFG files that is working on your Yamaha PSR620 for me to use as a model? Sincerely, I am very grateful if you help me.

Ask a Question