PSR-e423 - has anyone managed to get MIDI to work?

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for a newbie's question -- I recently bought the e423 (not officially part of this sub-forum group, but as the spec seems basically the same as the e413, so I hope this is the best place for this post). I love it as an analog instrument BUT for the life of me I cannot make the keyboard work as a MIDI controller, or in fact communicate with my PC at all. I am attempting to do so via the USB connection.

I still have some time to return it to Amazon if need be, but I'd prefer first to hear opinions as to whether mine seems faulty or whether I am doing something wrong. I have read a few things on the web from people in my shoes, but unfortunately haven't heard of many resolutions.

Anyway ...I have followed the driver installation setup instructions exactly (using the latest driver from the Yamaha site) , sometimes getting a message that it has been successful, sometimes not; but whether I did or not, when I connect the keyboard, I am told to install the drivers again.

If I comply I am in an endless loop. If I ignore the request to reinstall, I get a message saying that the device might not work properly.

In either case, my PC (a 3-year old Acer, XP SP3, 1.8 ghz CPU and 4 GB of RAM) doesn't seem to recognise any USB connection when I go to System / Properties / Hardware / Device Manager. And nether sequencer I own (Adobe Audition 3.0, or Sony Acid Pro 7, both with MIDI capability) detects the Yamaha drivers or keyboard either.

It could be that I am overlooking something obvious. The manual in my opinion could be clearer about providing a step-by-step instruction on using the keyboard as a MIDI controller. I understand that I should, using the Function menu, set the PC mode to PC2 for my needs, but that doesn't seem to cause any data to reach the keyboard. Could someone please list the basic steps they take?

Also , a thought -- might a solution be to get a 3rd-party MIDI to USB converter and try that (i.e. with the keyboard sending MIDI data)? Or would I need the driver to work for that to succeed?

I am wit's end. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ask a Question