PSR-E433 Music Finder Database

Reaction score
Hi all. I know that on some of the higher end arrangers, the MFD can be updated with "corrected" titles for the songs in the database. Does anyone know if this can also be done in the PSR-E433?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Sorry ! Not possible on the E-433. The PSR-650 suffers from the same problem. Some brave soul on another forum was trying to develop an Excel spreadsheet as a substitute, but was not having much luck. I tried something similar for the E-433, but as a longtime folk and country fan, I very quickly found out I was not familiar enough with the other genres to figure out the encrypted titles. I suppose we could always try a collaborated effort, but I'm not sure there and enough interested E-433 owners. In the meantime, I understand and share your frustration.

Reaction score
Thanks, Ted. The E-433 is a nice "starter" arranger, but I know it is no Tyros! :)

I can't sing worth a flip, so it would make no sense for me to put money and time into the Tyros. But I do enjoy doing updated covers of old tunes and I think the E-433 will be okay for that. I believe the E-433 is the first in the E series to support USB stick, so I can save my songs to that. I just thought maybe it would allow for a corrected MFD to be installed. But, at this price point, something's gotta be left out, I suppose. And I think you're right, listening to just a style rhythm is not enough to help identify a song without some melody or intro being thrown in.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hello amigo Ted, good to see you back on the forum. To the point: MFD's with corrected names are downloadable from PSRTUTORIAL.COM not sure the E-433 is amongst them but at least it will give you a hint. Over the years the songs have been more or less the same with many extra additions of course.
Also downloadable is the MFD-reader made by Michael Bedesem so you can see the titels and the used styles on you computer, even print them out for convenience.
Hope this helps a bit.

Dick

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Dick, but I guess my question is more related to is there a way to get the .mfd file out of and back into the PSR-E433. It will export/load MIDI files and STY files as well as a USR file. But the .mfd, can that be exported, corrected, and then imported?

Reaction score
Sorry I am not familiar with the E433 but if it is possible, your manual will tell you. If Ted says NO I am sure it is a no but why not put your question also on PSRTUTORIAL.COM
So many helpful guru's there! You will get an answer soon as it is a forum only dedicated to Yammies.

Reaction score
keyboardtunes

Someone made a similar post over on the PSRTUTORIAL Forum today. Don't know if that was you taking Dick's suggestion or someone else by coincidence. The final answer was given by a fellow named Ian (tyrosaurus), who has long since forgotten more about PSR keyboards than I can ever hope to know. His answer: No - the Music Database in the PSR-E433 can not be added to or changed. Now, my words - the Music Finder Database in the higher priced PSR's is stored in User Memory, which is Flash Memory that can be written to with new data. The Music Database in the E-433 is stored in ROM (Read Only Memory), which is permanently "burned" at the factory and can not be changed. The problem I am having is that that database is, in many cases, highly encrypted for copyright purposes as mentioned by Ian. I have taken Dick's suggestion and compared the E-433's encrypted entries with the encrypted entries for the higher priced PSR's and their decrypted database entries. That gave me a start, and so far I have figured out a lot more than I originally thought I could. I have had a PSR-3000 for six years, but never got into this, as the first thing I did was to download a decrypted database. Guess I have been spoiled.

Hi Dick !

Really great to hear from you. Wanted to let you reply to keyboardtunes before I popped back in here so I wouldn't be hi-jacking his post. Really haven't been too far away all this time. Have been banging around on the new Casio WK and have been trying the pure "synth" business for a while. I like messing with the synth's, but I am really a one-man-bander at heart. Would be nice if someone made a combination synth and arranger in the same box. That is how I ended up with the PSR-E433. It's kind of a low end synth/arranger/DJ-box all in the same case. It's really an MM6 only with a PSR voice engine instead of a Motif voice engine, and expanded arranger and arpeggiator sections with some DJ loops thrown in. It actually uses the MM6 case, only in black instead of gray. I wish they made it in a $1000 to $1500 USD unit with some of the nicer amenities of the higher priced units. An arranger section in the MOX6 would do very nicely. Anyway, its been fun, but I am looking forward to getting back into the arranger business. Hope all is well in Bali !

Reaction score
Hi Ted,
Well the answer is given to the question of 'keyboardtunes' regarding the MFD for the E433. Not possible to change it!
As you have noticed most of the many downloadable MFD's have corrected names. The encrypted names from Yamaha do give a problem sometimes but, as example, 'A Ninestone Cowboy' is not to difficult to figure out.

Good to hear you still 'pottering' around with your keyboards. I do the same every day for hours with my 2000 and 950, a luxury when one is retired. Sorting out styles tweaking and 'creating' new voices and making 'Gig'-folders although I don't do gigs, FUN FUN FUN.
Yes everything is great in Bali, love it here!
Hope you are ok, did you get enough water this year?

All the best and keep in touch.
Regards
Dick

Reaction score
Thanks, gentlemen, for your help. It wasn't I who posted to PSRTutorial. Though that is a great website for "pro" users, they don't have a section for the E series and, IMO, tend to look down on those who don't have a Tyros model (my opinion only). So thanks for helping me with my "toy" keyboard, which I love. :)

Reaction score
keyboardtunes

Several years ago, after we laid my mother-in-law to rest in their family cemetery, which had been incorporated into the local national park many years ago, we had a family reunion at the park pavilion. Since both of my in-laws had been big Dixieland fans, my brother-in-law hired a five piece Dixieland band to provide the entertainment for the reunion and to give his mom a great send-off. The little lady that was their keyboardist/pianist showed up with a 49-key Yamaha something-or-other that ran on 4 D-cells. She selected the honky-tonk voice, patched from the phones jack into their mixer and really sounded great. So, I guess one man's "toy" is another lady's Bosendorfer. My family sees my equipment as just a bunch of "toys". Some years ago, I was watching hardware one-upmanship in one forum while in another I was watching "in earnest" threads by guys, professional gigging musicians, using their Casio "toys" to earn a living and put food on the table for their families. So, I guess it's all relative, but if what you have does what you want or need and you are enjoying it, don't let someone else's attitude spoil it for you.

Best of luck !

Reaction score
That's good advice, Ted. As the old saying goes, it's not what you have, but how you use it that matters.

I did finally post about this on PSRTutorial as "billmc". Thanks for your advice there.

Ask a Question