Psr I 455 is it professional key board

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
This is another short answer and long answer question. :)

The short answer is no, the PSR-I455 is not a "professional" keyboard as far as its overall build quality, sound quality, features, and intended target market. The PSR-I models are modified versions of certain PSR-E models, and the "E" in "PSR-E" stands for "Entry-level," whereas the "S" in "PSR-S" stands for "Stage." Thus, the PSR-E models are designed to meet the needs of hobbyist keyboard players, particularly those who are just learning to play the keyboard or who either can't afford to, or can't justify, spending a larger amount of money on a much more expensive keyboard.

But having said that, the answer to your question also depends on what you mean by "professional." If you search the internet for certain early models of portable keyboards-- some of which could reasonably be regarded as little more than "toys"-- you'll occasionally find references to some band having used some portable keyboard (e.g., an early Casiotone model) on stage or on some of their albums. So if a band uses an inexpensive portable keyboard on stage or on an album, does that make it a "professional" model? Obviously not-- but it's also obvious that a "professional" musician can make music in a "professional" capacity (i.e., on stage or in a recording studio) on an inexpensive "home" keyboard or on an expensive "pro" keyboard.

The PSR-I455 doesn't have the same kind of heavy-duty build quality as a keyboard that's intended to withstand the rigors of touring and being tossed around by road crews. But if your intention is to set it up and play it in your home and not go touring with a road crew then you don't necessarily need a keyboard with a heavy-duty build quality.

The PSR-I455 is an XGlite-compatible keyboard, so it doesn't have all of the voices and sound features that XG-compatible keyboards generally do (but different XG-compatible models don't have all the same voices and features as each other, either). In particular, the PSR-E, PSR-I, and YPT models don't have any DSP effects, just Reverb and Chorus (depending on the specific model). Also, the PSR-E, PSR-I, and YPT models don't have the ability to load new voices or drum kits such as the more expensive PSR-S models do. But if you connect the PSR-I455 to a computer then you can use it as a MIDI keyboard controller to play all sorts of virtual instruments, and you can use effects pedals (such as for a guitar) or VST plugin effects on your computer to add DSP effects that aren't included onboard.

The PSR-I455 uses an earlier, "lighter" version of Yamaha's style format, which is limited to two style variations (A and B). The more expensive PSR-S models can play styles that have four variations (A, B, C, and D). There are also other features which the PSR-I455 doesn't have but which are available on some (although not all) PSR-S models-- e.g., a modulation wheel, a jack for connecting an expression pedal, MIDI ports, separate L/R audio jacks, a dot-addressable LCD screen, etc.

In short, Yamaha didn't design the PSR-I455 with the intent of marketing it to "professional" musicians, or for that matter to "non-professional" hobbyists who have both the funds and the desire to drop a large wad of cash on an expensive keyboard. (Although, as far as price is concerned, the PSR-I455 is-- in my opinion-- ridiculously more expensive than the PSR-E433 or PSR-E443, considering that the PSR-I455 is just a modified PSR-E433; but no doubt this is largely due to the smaller number of units of PSR-I455 produced versus the more widely-distributed PSR-E433 and PSR-E443.)

Nevertheless, all of the above doesn't mean that you can't use the PSR-I455 in a professional capacity. :)

EDIT: Also, there are three levels of PSR-E models-- the 200, 300, and 400 lines. The 400-level models are the "top-of-the-line" PSR-E models, and have certain features which are normally found only on more expensive keyboards-- e.g., a pitch-bend wheel, two assignable-function "live control" knobs, and the ability to modify the EG attack/release times and LPF cutoff/resonance settings of the voices.

Last edited:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
What level can you play to? Technically, the keyboard won't be the limiting factor. The question is whether or not you can technically play something that the keyboard can't execute. And the odds are good the keyboard is better than you.

Most electronic keyboards, even the "hobbiest keyboards" are more than good enough for music students at the university level other than those that are focusing on piano, or harpsichord, or organ. Unless you're majoring in one of those instruments (or have equivalent skills), the keyboard can go as far as you can.

The question is whether the sounds it makes are the sounds you want. Remember that The Doors had two crappy keyboards, and they went a long way.

Ask a Question