PSR midi for PC connection and transcription soft.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
:)Hi! Everyone
PSR midi for PC connection and transcription soft. What soft to use? I've been reading about Forte. It's a complicated thing? Transfer a song and record it in Audacity is a simple process; to digitally write a song sheet is a similar process?
Thanks
Oriane Lima

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The two major ones -- the ones that are allegedly more powerful -- are Finale and Sibelius. My father did most of his compositions over the last decade or so using Finale. My daughter's college "requires" Sibelius. However, she actually uses MuseScore, which is available for free at https://musescore.org/ for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First of all, when you say "transcription," that usually (I think) refers to the process of converting audio to musical notation. Obviously this had to be done by ear and hand in the old days-- and still is done that way by many musicians-- but today there are programs which can take audio input and convert it into either musical notation or MIDI data. The problem is, that can work great for simple monophonic melodies played with an instrument whose sound doesn't have a complex waveform containing many harmonics, but (for now, unless they've made great strides in that field) this doesn't work so great when dealing with polyphonic melodies played with one or more instruments that have complex sounds.

In any case, the newest version of FORTE does have a transcription feature, and there are also stand-alone programs for this, although I have no personal experience at how well any of them work.

However, I assume that what you meant was taking the MIDI output from your keyboard and converting it into notation. As already mentioned, there are numerous programs available for this, and some DAWs have a built-in feature for viewing and editing tracks using a notation view, although a dedicated notation program will be more sophisticated in capabilities and features than a DAW which includes notation editing (but it's still really nice to be able to do that in a DAW).

Following are some of the notation programs that I have or am aware of. Notation programs can be incredibly expensive, because they often come with sound libraries or virtual instruments for playing the notation, and those can be expensive (this is what usually drives the cost of commercial DAWs into the "Gee, for that price I could buy a keyboard" zones). But as with commercial DAWs, commercial notation programs often come in different editions that vary in price and features, and some of them even have free editions (which are also the most limited editions as far as features). All of the notation programs that I have are free. Sad to say, I haven't actually used all of them enough to give you comments about all of them-- but since they're all free, you can try each one yourself and see whether they're easy for you to use and aren't too limited in features. Then if you find one that has a GUI you really like but it's too limited in features you can check out the comparison chart on the company's web site to see which edition has the features you need without putting you in the poor house. The following list is arranged alphabetically.

Crescendo, from NCH -- I use this one the most, because while it isn't as full-featured as other programs I really like its GUI, especially the ability to click on a note or rest and select various options from a circle of popups.

Finale NotePad, from MakeMusic

FORTE 7 Free, from Lugert Verlag

MuseScore 2, from MuseScore BVBA -- This is probably the most sophisticated, feature-rich free notation program.

Notation Player 3, from Notation Software -- Okay, this is strictly a player, not a notation editor, but they have non-free editions for editing notation.

Noteflight, from Noteflight LLC -- This isn't a program that you install on your computer, but rather is an online service that requires signing up for an account, although they have a free plan. I learned of it only recently and did sign up for a free account, but I haven't tried it out yet.

EDIT: Correction, I said that Finale has a transcription feature, but I meant FORTE. Also fixed a few typos.

Last edited:

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Very enlightening your comment Michael:)and a great help. I already have enough homework to do. With the hand that you all are giving me, I'm sure I will learn this stuff. Thank you very much for the objectivity of your information.
Oriane Lima.

Ask a Question