PSR-S670 Keybed question

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR-S670 and when I look at the keybed at eye level from high notes toward lower I notice all of the "b" keys are slightly lower. Not drastic but every uniformly lower. Hard to believe it's a defect since it's the same key.

Just ondering if anyone else has this keyboard and this situation.. Or maybe it's a Yamaha keyboard trait???

20160501_095849.jpg

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Is it that the Bs are slightly lower, or that the As are slightly higher? It looks like the right edge of the B is about level with the left edge of the C, but the right edge of the A looks slightly raised compared to the left edge of the B. On my PSR-E433 a few of the A keys seem to be raised very slightly. It doesn't look like a "defect," though.

I might add that on my father's Kohler & Campbell vertical piano there's a very slight bit of variation in the heights of some keys, as well as in the gaps between a few of them, so I wonder if this is fairly typical and perhaps somewhat unavoidable in a keyboard instrument?

Reaction score
Is it that the Bs are slightly lower, or that the As are slightly higher? It looks like the right edge of the B is about level with the left edge of the C, but the right edge of the A looks slightly raised compared to the left edge of the B. On my PSR-E433 a few of the A keys seem to be raised very slightly. It doesn't look like a "defect," though.

I might add that on my father's Kohler & Campbell vertical piano there's a very slight bit of variation in the heights of some keys, as well as in the gaps between a few of them, so I wonder if this is fairly typical and perhaps somewhat unavoidable in a keyboard instrument?

Maybe I'm just being a spaz... I can still return it for a refund but don't want to wait for another one and find out that's just the way it is...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I'd say if it doesn't affect your playing then learn to live with it.

One thing you might be able to do is visit a music store and take a look at similar models from the same product line. If it's a standard defect then it should show up in similar models using the same keybed.

Then again, if you had a chance to get a good look at the crap that Mozart and Beethoven had to compose on, you'd thank your lucky stars that you lived in an age where design engineering and quality control are the norm in instrument design :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Jimmy, you were wondering if others had the same situation as your "b" key seating.
Mine is the PSR S 650. Very similar to yours and I had a good look and saw no anomaly at all. Perfect straight as a die all through 61 keys. I'd say yours is imperfect. I think paying something like $1000 for it you should have good reason to complain about it.
"Rat" made a good point saying we are in an age of modern design and quality control. So that bieng the case I would demand a replacement under warranty if I were you.
Really, I think i would be disappointed and the feel of it would be upsetting on my my mind every time I played.

Reaction score
Returned it this afternoon....
Lost interest.... Won't buy any more...
Time to forget the dream on the bucket list and move on...

Reaction score
Returned it this afternoon....
Lost interest.... Won't buy any more...
Time to forget the dream on the bucket list and move on...

Wow....really?You returned it,just because the key-bed wasn't perfectly symmetrical?Well...to each his own...it's your choice...but seriously...if you want immaculate perfection,you should consider a Genos,or something to that effect.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
There may have been other factors that were considered. For instance, the PSR-S670 is a little bit expensive-- not along the lines of the PSR-S975 or Genos, but not exactly "throw-away change." If the PSR-S670 were bought on a whim to pursue an old dream from younger days, but then other demands popped up, it may have been preferable to return the PSR-S670 for a refund to help pay for those other demands. I'm not saying that was the case-- I do not know what the case was-- but in my experience it's easy to overlook any defects when you really want something very much ("warts and all," as the saying goes), and just as easy to latch onto and magnify any defects when you aren't sure whether you really want something as much as you had thought you did.

Reaction score
There may have been other factors that were considered. For instance, the PSR-S670 is a little bit expensive-- not along the lines of the PSR-S975 or Genos, but not exactly "throw-away change." If the PSR-S670 were bought on a whim to pursue an old dream from younger days, but then other demands popped up, it may have been preferable to return the PSR-S670 for a refund to help pay for those other demands. I'm not saying that was the case-- I do not know what the case was-- but in my experience it's easy to overlook any defects when you really want something very much ("warts and all," as the saying goes), and just as easy to latch onto and magnify any defects when you aren't sure whether you really want something as much as you had thought you did.

Pretty much all valid points...except for two,that I do not entirely agree with...one,being that the S670 being expensive.Secondly...the key-bed being a defect.Among the well-seasoned,keyboard enthusiasts that know the market well,the S670 is the bargain of a lifetime.Having been a previous owner of keyboards such as the MOX6(which was $400 more than the PSR-S670)....I can honestly assert that the MOX-series is considerably deficient in terms of features and audio quality,in contrast the PSR-S670.
As for the "defective" keybed...well...unweighted synth action keys not being perfectly level,is not a defect...but a common trait of budget keyboards that most of the time,do not effect the quality of a performance and is something most people overlook.
Perhaps...as you've mentioned,Jimmy may have had other obligations or specific features that required more money...but obsessing over something as innocuous as inconsequential imperfections of a key-bed and to the point of seeking help on a forum because of it(& perhaps using this excuse to mask the real reason behind the return)...is just so silly to me.
In my findings over the years,I have found one thing to ring universally true,which is that regardless of how much a company offers for anhy given price,people always find room to complain about something(rather than just appreciating the attributes of a value-based product.)
Okay...I get it...e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e is seduced by the prospect of saving money and getting the very most out of any given price...however though,I cannot get over what an amazing keyboard this is!
Given the sheer majesty of the S670's features,versatility,screen size,expandability,voice quality and what seems to be full size keys,how can anyone have any complaints at this price point??
Maybe it's a millennial thing,because when you grow up in the 70's and 80's,you appreciate e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g that you get for your money.

Reaction score
I just do not get it, the S670 is less than £500 in the UK so it is hardly a premium model, its a budget model with plenty of features and at that price point, perfection can hardly be expected.

I looked and tried its bigger brother the S970 and its sound quality was cr4p compared to the Korg that I bought.

Guess there are some players with Yamaha ears and others that prefer other makes.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The PSR S670 costs over a grand in Australia. (something like $1200 thereabouts). I would hardly call that a budget item.
The features and sound output of this model are supreme to my mind and having built in speakers makes it a perfect choice for home use. I intend to upgrade to this model oneday soon (maybe!) Depends whether I want to change brands or not. My shopping for up grade has not started yet!
Anyway as I stated earlier, If spending a grand you would expect perfection. A flat and level keybed is essential! I am glad Jimmy got his money back.
Ray

Reaction score
I just do not get it, the S670 is less than £500 in the UK so it is hardly a premium model, its a budget model with plenty of features and at that price point, perfection can hardly be expected.

I looked and tried its bigger brother the S970 and its sound quality was cr4p compared to the Korg that I bought.

Guess there are some players with Yamaha ears and others that prefer other makes.

Care to share what KORG you are referring to??I've been a long time Korg fan...but not of their budget lines so much.I like both Korg & Yamaha(as each have their own individual strengths.)About 7 months back,I had purchased the Korg Kross 2(without having even considered an arranger keyboard) and honestly,I think...that regardless of what brand you are a fan of,we can all agree that the Korg Kross is pathetic,in contrast to the PSR-S670...yes?Both of these keyboards are very similarly priced and the PSR-S670 wins hands down,across the board.

Reaction score
The PSR S670 costs over a grand in Australia. (something like $1200 thereabouts). I would hardly call that a budget item.
The features and sound output of this model are supreme to my mind and having built in speakers makes it a perfect choice for home use. I intend to upgrade to this model oneday soon (maybe!) Depends whether I want to change brands or not. My shopping for up grade has not started yet!
Anyway as I stated earlier, If spending a grand you would expect perfection. A flat and level keybed is essential! I am glad Jimmy got his money back.
Ray

So let me get this straight,because you live in a country that has high import taxes,higher minimum wages and a higher dollar value....somehow,that makes Jimmy's keyboard an expensive item(despite that Jimmy lives in Maryland!??)
Your minimum wage is $18.29 per hour,whereas here in the U.S.,it's roughly half that amount(varies from state to state)...so essentially,it all evens out...don't you think??
Do you have any clue,what an utter non sequitur....your argument is??

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Pretty much all valid points...except for two,that I do not entirely agree with...one,being that the S670 being expensive.Secondly...the key-bed being a defect.

I didn't say "expensive"; I said "a little bit expensive." Anyway, words like "expensive" and "inexpensive" can have different meanings-- different thresholds-- from one person to the next. What is small change to you might be a small fortune to someone else; and in turn what is a small fortune to you might be small change to someone else.

Also, I didn't say that I think the PSR-S670's keybed is a defect. The original poster apparently felt it was defective-- and while I personally think he was "making a mountain out of a molehill," it was not my money, not my purchase, and not my place to judge him for his particular decision.

I did feel that what I considered to be the flimsiness of his reason (the keys not being absolutely level from one to the next across the width of the keyboard) suggested that there might have been other reasons involved which were left unspoken. I don't know that that was the case, and I'm not saying it was; I'm just pointing out that there might have been other reasons besides the one given.

Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen an acoustic piano that didn't have some tiny variations in height from key to key, especially after they've been played for a year or two. As far as I know, those kinds of minor variations in key height don't affect a pianist's performance at all.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Highlander is saying my post is non sequitur.
I think Highlander is just trying to outsmart me! Fat chance!
Minimum wages in different countries is irrelevant to the subject.
Go back and read the original posting and subsequent replies Highlander!
I think your comments are out of line and disrespectful.
btw. . $1000 dollars to you may be pocket money! To me and others we work hard to save that kind of money!

Ray

Reaction score
Highlander is saying my post is non sequitur.
I think Highlander is just trying to outsmart me! Fat chance!
Minimum wages in different countries is irrelevant to the subject.
Go back and read the original posting and subsequent replies Highlander!
I think your comments are out of line and disrespectful.
btw. . $1000 dollars to you may be pocket money! To me and others we work hard to save that kind of money!

Ray
Well yeah...using the cost living in Austrailia to state that the PSR-S670 is expensive,is just silly(especially since different countries compensate for higher costs..i.e. higher wages and the Austrailian dollar being higher in purchasing power,than here in the U.S..In other words,the $1200 you would pay,is roughly the equivalent of me paying $900 and that was my point.
No....$900 is not pocket change for me,especially since I mainly live on my disability pay,which is just under $12,000 per year.Apart from that I work a seasonal job in the winter,at a department store and I work damn hard for the meager $9.00 per hour that they pay.
Also...I won't be purchasing the PSR-S670 outright,as I will be making 12 payments over the course of a year(so more than likely,it's more of a hardship for me to buy it,than it is for you.)
Even with my very modest financial situation and tight budget,I still do not consider $900 a large sum of money for the PSR-S670,because I fully understand and appreciate what I am getting for my money.There has never been a better value in a keyboard,so there is no valid reason to complain about the price,or the key-bed.
You don't seem to have much respect for what a tremendous value the PSR-S670 really is and I'm disrespectful?Whatever you say sir....

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Dear @HighlandStudio91
I want to be fair with you. I admit I took your comments personally and initially thought you were outspoken and offensive. I have reservations to be honest. I don't take derogatory remarks lightly is why I retaliated. However, I am not one for conflict and I would like to clear the air now and start afresh. If I misjudged you then I am sorry. Let's continue this debate in a civil manner.

To begin with it would be nice to know who you are. What is your name?

As for the RSR S750, you have made some valid points about it of which I agree. It is the model of which I intend to upgrade to as I have aleady mentioned. One day we both may own one and can guide each other through the complex operations of it. That would be a nice outcome.

As for the cost of it . .well that is where we fell apart. You think it is a reasononable price to pay for it's class and I agree. It is just that when Jimmy complained that his had a wonky keybed and it was upsetting for him. It obviously had a fault and was not up to standard. You seem to think he should have just accepted the fault and shut up about it. So that is your opinion and I respect that but I would certainly take it back for replacement. That is my opinion. I would hope you respect that.

So now, I want to say by all means state your opinions and let us move forward.
Your opinions are valuable to the keyboard community as long as they do not offend people.
My opinions are also valuable . . Please respect that.

I trust we can move on. These silly arguments can be upsetting. Let's nip it in the bud.

Footnote: apologies to all forum members if I have gone off track.

Ray. . back on track :)

Reaction score
Care to share what KORG you are referring to??I've been a long time Korg fan...but not of their budget lines so much.I like both Korg & Yamaha(as each have their own individual strengths.)About 7 months back,I had purchased the Korg Kross 2(without having even considered an arranger keyboard) and honestly,I think...that regardless of what brand you are a fan of,we can all agree that the Korg Kross is pathetic,in contrast to the PSR-S670...yes?Both of these keyboards are very similarly priced and the PSR-S670 wins hands down,across the board.

You obviously did not look at my signature, if you do so you will see the two Korg models I have, I am not totally pro Korg, they just suit my style and hearingin fact I only chose the Kross 2 over the DS61 purely on size and lack of weight as the Kross 2 cannot be beaten on ease of transportation.

No sure why you bought a Kross 2 as it is not an Arranger, its a budget Syth/Workstation and for £650 it and the Roland DS61 are the best non-arranger keyboards currently on the market, with the Roland DS88 at £1000 the best of its type in that price bracket.

Like I said the PA 700 that I own is streets ahead of the S970 interms of everything. The onboard sound of the Yamaha is very poor for a keyboard costing £1000 in the UK. I played both side by side in the store a couple of times before I bought the Korg, no comments from anyone will change my opinion in that the sound quality of the S970 is not as good as its competitors.

Cheaper Yamahas are budget models, its as simple as that, yet with the likes of the E463 an owner gets a great keyboard, sadly this does not relate to the S670 which is a good keyboard for its price but I do not see how it even compares to the Kross 2 whose sound suits me, and even the Roland DS61 which is £100 more in the UK than the S670 and sounds vastly superior to the Yamaha, but comparing the do it all arrangers with a synth/workstation whose sound is fed into an Amp costing more than the S670 is hardly a fair comparison.

For its cash point the S670 is a good keyboard wheras the S970 is not.

Last edited:

Ask a Question