Puzzling problem

Reaction score
Hi! I have a WK3500 with the following problem. If you start from the extreme left, count the keys ( including the black ones) and starting with keys # 8 and then the keys # 9-10=11=12=13=14=15 keys don't behave properly. Even though you touch one of those keys very slowly or very light, the sound will be full loud. If the patch you chose is let say a "piano" patch, not only is the sound full loud but it's also like the sustain pedal is on. The sound slowly fade and after that... that key is "dead" . You can't use it anymore unless you switch off the keyboard and turn it on again. If the patch chosen is let say "Strings" then, the sound is full loud and "jammed" on sustain ( full loud jammed on sustain, no fading out). The only way to stop it is...to turn off the keyboard. The only way I can use this keyboard is to use it connected to my Roland Midi controller. When connected to the Roland, all the keys ( on the Roland) work like they should. I know the problem is because of humidity but...the Roland work just fine. I also have a small Yamaha and 3 sound modules that all work right in the same humid environment. 2 days ago,I did place the Casio in front of a propane fan heater and after 45 min. it would be working properly. The following day, it was again not working. I did place it again in front of that heater but this time, after 1 hr. , it still was not working right. "Which part" is affected by humidity ? Why only 7 keys are not behaving right? I did open it and did clean the key's contacts 3 different ways but to no avail. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem probably is condensation inside the key contacts of the offending keys.

If you're going to bathe with electronics bad things happen,

So where do you live anyway? Tropical Rainforest? Louisiana Swampland?

Depending on your resources and where you are located makes a big difference right now.

Even North or Southern hemisphere matters if we were to propose a solution.

Sitting it in front of a Propane heater probably does more damage than good.

Option 1. Store it in a warm, dry place for a month or two and don't even look at it til then. (Best option)

Option 2. Open it up and THOROUGHLY clean and dry and reassemble the keyboard switches using 90% denatured alcohol and cotton swabs.

A lot depends on your skill level or if you are willing to pay someone to do this for you.

Option 3. Use a compressor to force dry air under the keys for an hour or two and maybe it will come back to life. This is the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito but it should work in theory.

And if you are going to drag it back to the swamp to play again afterwards, you may as well not bother at all.

Electronics and water DO NOT mix...

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I love your analogies Gary.
Sledgehammer/Mosquito . . Hahaha!

Could water absorbing paper or pads placed on the keys or even front of keys and under the keys when storing when not in use? . . Considering your option one.
R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Best thing to do is store it in a warm, dry place, sealed in a bag (not airtight) along with an ounce or two of dehydrated silica gel.

Works much better than rice or paper or other improvised solutions.

For a lot of people, an attic might be the ideal place.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Silica gel . . Yes!
They come in little packets with new appliances and clothing and even in pill bottles.
My wife collects them and places them in various damp places. I think they eliminate mould growth too around the home.
R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a procedure for "recharging" silica gel packets that involves placing them in a 150F oven for two hours and then allowing to cool before use.

I used to save them, but no longer bother as there is no excess humidity in my apartment these days.

I'm sure if need be you could buy them directly from Amazon these days.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The problem probably is condensation inside the key contacts of the offending keys.

Depending on your resources and where you are located makes a big difference right now.

Option 1. Store it in a warm, dry place for a month or two and don't even look at it til then. (Best option)

Option 2. Open it up and THOROUGHLY clean and dry and reassemble the keyboard switches using 90% denatured alcohol and cotton swabs.

A lot depends on your skill level or if you are willing to pay someone to do this for you.

Option 3. Use a compressor to force dry air under the keys for an hour or two and maybe it will come back to life. This is the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito but it should work in theory.

And if you are going to drag it back to the swamp to play again afterwards, you may as well not bother at all.

Gary ;)
Hi! Like I wrote in the post, I already did clean the contact 3 times. What is puzzling is...why only 7 keys...why not them all. Secondly, why when I connect my MIDI controller to the Casio then all 76 keys sound fine on the controller ???

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you've already removed and cleaned the contact strips, check if you installed them upside down,

Reaction score

Gary ;)
Like I wrote in my post, I already did clean the contacts 3 times. What is the most puzzling is...why only 7 keys ??? why not them all ???. Also,why when I connect my MIDI controller to the Casio then all the the 76 keys work fine on the controller. "Water and electronics don't mix"...well...my Roland MIDI controller, my Yamaha 61 keys keyboard, my Korg and my 2 EMU Proteus sound modules...all do work fine. I live in Vancouver BC in a camperized van. I went with 2 different kind of humidity absorber ( Damp Rid and such) but below 60 degrees F. these things don't work.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Hi! Can't see what you mean by installing them upside down. Do you mean I should remove the small black round pellet from the squishy holder and then reinstall them in the opposite direction ?

Attachments

• contact.jpg
    contact.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 13

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Contact strips are silicone rubber with pairs of contact points for each key. They are usually 12 notes long.

It is possible to flip them accidentally so that they no longer work properly but instead operate at full velocity all the time.

If you install a contact strip upside down it no longer detects the actual velocity of the key strike and instead it always plays at full volume.

As for the rest of your problem, if you are living in a van with 60% humidity I cannot offer any other suggestions than I already have.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Contact strips are silicone rubber with pairs of contact points for each key. They are usually 12 notes long.

It is possible to flip them accidentally so that they no longer work properly but instead operate at full velocity all the time.

If you install a contact strip upside down it no longer detects the actual velocity of the key strike and instead it always plays at full volume.

As for the rest of your problem, if you are living in a van with 60% humidity I cannot offer any other suggestions than I already have.

Gary ;)
I did think to install them upside down but it wasn't possible, they would buckle. On the Casio, the first set of contact are shorter ( I think they have 10 keys) and the other are longer (like 12 keys) so...the first 10 keys would sound not right and the the next 12 would be alright then O.K. it could have been the problem but...the problem starts at key # 9 until key # 15 so...an upside/down can't be the problem and in plus,I did clean the contact only after having problem...not before.

Ask a Question