PX 110 no on board audio

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm a full-time church musician, and we have a number of digital and acoustic pianos on site at the church.

One of them is a Casio PX 110. It powers on but there is no on-board audio. It *does* play through an amp via the headphone jack. I checked and the local midi control is as it should be. (If it was wrong it wouldn't play through headphones either - I checked.)

Any ideas? Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Was it recently involved in a fall?

Is it played in air conditioned surroundings or 95 degree heat?

Did it make any funny noises or crackles or pops before it died or did it simply go silent without warning?

When was the last time it played normally?

It could honestly be anything from a loose wire or a flaky headphone jack or a wonky volume potentiometer to a blown output transistor.

Unless you are comfortable cracking it open and probing with the right tools I'd say you pretty much have to take it in for service.

Prime suspect without knowing more about it though I'd say is a defective headphone jack, since the jack controls a switch that switches off the speakers.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Was it recently involved in a fall?

Is it played in air conditioned surroundings or 95 degree heat?

Did it make any funny noises or crackles or pops before it died or did it simply go silent without warning?

When was the last time it played normally?

It could honestly be anything from a loose wire or a flaky headphone jack or a wonky volume potentiometer to a blown output transistor.

Unless you are comfortable cracking it open and probing with the right tools I'd say you pretty much have to take it in for service.

Prime suspect without knowing more about it though I'd say is a defective headphone jack, since the jack controls a switch that switches off the speakers.

Gary ;)

Reaction score

There haven't been any falls or other damage that I'm aware of. It's indoors in a rehearsal room, with fluctuations of temp and humidity, but not to such extremes that I think it would damage a digital keyboard.

No crackling or any unusual sounds. The sound is normal when played through an amp from the headphone jack, and there's no crackling in the jack. I understand that that doesn't rule out a switch failure that is making the keyboard think the phones are plugged in all the time.

I don't suppose the on-board speakers have a fuse?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A dedicated fuse in the low power audio circuit that's typical of those keyboards would be highly unlikely.

More likely is a single internal fuse for mains power which obviously is working fine.

My most likely guess would be the headphone jack switch.

If you have the skills then open it up and check it with a multimeter.

Parts might be found on one of these sites.

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand.php?brand_id=CAS&rewrite_name=Keyboard-Parts&query=headphone+jack

http://syntaur.com/casio_privia.html

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/casio-parts.html

If you don't feel comfortable with a multimeter or a soldering iron though, best to hire a tech to do the job for you.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question