PX-330 HELP!

Reaction score
I have created songs on my PX-330 and have loaded them on a SD card. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm unable to load them back into my keyboard. I'd like to edit them but I believe it's not possible until they are loaded. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What format did you save the songs in-- CSR or MID? On page E-44 of the manual it says that recorder songs can be saved in either of those formats, and also that you can load CSR files, but I'm guessing that you can't load MID files into the song recorder for editing, just CSR files.

What folder did you save them in? On page E-47 it says you can load files from the MUSICDAT folder, but not from any of the other folders-- so if you saved the files in one of those other folders, you'll want to move them into the MUSICDAT folder.

Do you have an SD card reader on your computer, so you can look at the contents of the card on your computer and, if necessary, move the files to the MUSICDAT folder?

Finally, I would encourage you to save your recorder songs as MID files-- which will probably mean you can't load them back into the song recorder (although I'm not sure about that)-- then import each MID file into a DAW on your computer so you can edit the song in the DAW. If you've never used a DAW before, that might seem very intimidating, but it really isn't difficult-- once you get the hang of using the DAW, it should actually be easier to edit a song in the DAW than on the keyboard.

Reaction score
What format did you save the songs in-- CSR or MID? On page E-44 of the manual it says that recorder songs can be saved in either of those formats, and also that you can load CSR files, but I'm guessing that you can't load MID files into the song recorder for editing, just CSR files.

What folder did you save them in? On page E-47 it says you can load files from the MUSICDAT folder, but not from any of the other folders-- so if you saved the files in one of those other folders, you'll want to move them into the MUSICDAT folder.

Do you have an SD card reader on your computer, so you can look at the contents of the card on your computer and, if necessary, move the files to the MUSICDAT folder?

Finally, I would encourage you to save your recorder songs as MID files-- which will probably mean you can't load them back into the song recorder (although I'm not sure about that)-- then import each MID file into a DAW on your computer so you can edit the song in the DAW. If you've never used a DAW before, that might seem very intimidating, but it really isn't difficult-- once you get the hang of using the DAW, it should actually be easier to edit a song in the DAW than on the keyboard.
I have saved the files in a MID format. Can I use the CRS format? All I really want to do is just to be able to load and unload my songs for a specific Sunday morning worship set. I won't need to edit them. Just would like to play them. Yes I do have an SD card slot in fact I am using an eight gig SDcard, as required in the manual. In the manual. I've never heard of DAW. I have to check it out.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The manual says you can load MID files, although it doesn't say you can load them into the song recorder-- you might be limited to just playing them. So if you don't actually need to edit the songs after loading them, I think you should be able to do that. I'll look at the manual a little further to see.

"DAW" is short for "Digital Audio Workstation," which could mean integrated digital hardware for sound recording, although these days it's usually assumed to mean a computer software program that has multiple audio-related functions, such as recording and editing and mixing audio tracks, creating and editing MIDI tracks, routing MIDI data from one device or program to another, playing or sequencing recorded MIDI data to a device or program, hosting or playing virtual instruments, etc. There are many DAWs, for various computer operating systems, ranging in price from free to several hundreds of dollars. Some of the free DAWs should be more than adequate for the typical home-user's needs.

Many DAWs can display MIDI data in musical notation form, or as a musical score. However, there are also notation or scoring programs which are dedicated to writing musical scores. Again, some of these programs are free, while others can be expensive.

DAWs and notation programs can usually import a MIDI file, allowing you to edit the data as needed, and can then export the data back to a MIDI file. But as I said, you might be able to load and play your MIDI files on the keyboard, if there's no need to edit them.

As for the CSR format (which I guess stands for "Casio Song Recorder"), you should be able to save your song recorder work to a CSR file, which will presumably let you load the work back into the song recorder at a later time if you need to edit the song further.

But a DAW or notation program should be a lot easier to use for entering music and saving it to a MIDI file to use on your keyboard. As I said, many DAWs can display music notation, although a "piano roll" view is more common. If you don't think you'd need all the capabilities of a DAW, and you prefer to work with music notation rather than a piano roll, then you might want to investigate some of the notation programs out there rather than the DAWs.

scullen

Converts oxygen into carbon dioxide.
Reaction score
A DAW is jut a computer loaded with a certain class of software. Examples of this software are Cubase, ProTools, Cakewalk, Ableton Live and several others. A DAW may also have an audio interface - a piece of hardware that you can plug a microphone and/or guitar or other instrument. It is connected to the computer usually through USB and uses a special set of drivers.

If you only want to create keyboard songs, you don't need an interface, you can connect the keyboard via USB, but many interfaces include a basic version of DAW software.

A DAW package will usually have several virtual instruments which are loaded as plug-ins. They work like patches or programs in your keyboard. You can also purchase virtual instruments and effects for the DAW.

A DAW will record your MIDI from your keyboard. Most commercial DAWs also record audio. Your MIDI is used to drive the virtual instruments and effects to produce an audio recording. Many DAW software package have a large number or unlimited number of MIDI tracks and they can be combined with audio tracks, such as vocals.

Some people use DAWs for live performance. Others believe that a hardware solution, such as a sequencer in your workstation is more reliable in a live setting.

More info :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
However, there are also notation or scoring programs which are dedicated to writing musical scores. Again, some of these programs are free, while others can be expensive.

Using a notation program as a sequencer is a lot of extra work, and only worth it if the ultimate purpose of your work is printed notation. Yes, all the symbols are generally tied to some sort of MIDI message. But it's damn difficult (but not impossible) to really get in and tweak a performance. On the other hand, my father used Finale for his composing. The MIDI functions (and it comes with a reasonable collection of traditional music instrument sounds) were useful for previewing what the piece sounds like, not how master musicians would perform it. So if you're looking for software to make the perfect performance, than look to DAWs. But if you want to produce professional quality notation, use notation software.

For notation programs, the main two (big money) programs are Finale and Sibelius. Both of them offer lower cost cut down versions of their software, including Finale NotePad (free) and Sibelius First ("only" $119). There are trial downloads available for both of them. As I mentioned above, my father was a Finale junkie, while my daughter's school uses Sibelius. (My daughter, on the other hand, is cheap and uses MuseScore.) I've got Finale at home, but I got it for significantly cheaper than their normal price. Every now and then Finale offers special deals to the owners of their software. I had downloaded the free software, and then they offered the whole Finale package for $99. I jumped at it.

Ask a Question