Quality of/Quantity of Korg SV1 Clav sounds

Reaction score
I'm considering a Korg SV1 to replace my old Kurzweil SP88. I have a Nord Electro 3 that I run the Kurz through, but the Nord won't split and the Kurz's electric pianos are terrible.

The SV1 has its drawbacks... so damn expensive for just a jumped-up stage piano, for one, and I hear bad things about the action. Nonetheless, it seems to be the best choice for what I need. Simple gigging, funky electric pianos. I haven't heard much about the clavs, though.

This video shows off three of the sounds. Is this it? SV1 users, how do they sit in the mix and how much can you manipulate them? My Electro has a lot of parameters for the clav that pretty much recreate the switches on an actual D6 (although I much preferred the interface on the Electro 2; wish I hadn't sold it). I want to be able to manipulate it to the degree I can with the Nord.

Thanks!

Reaction score
From the Korg website:

KORG SV-1 – Stage Vintage Piano Specification
Return to Main Product Page
SPECIFICATIONS

Keyboard :
SV-1-73 Black : 73 keys.
SV-1-88 Black : 88 keys.
Velocity sensitive Korg RH3 (Real Weighted Hammer Action 3)

Touch selection:
Eight curves

Tuning:
Transpose, Fine tuning, Tuning curves

Sound generation:
EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis)

Polyphony:
80 notes (max)

Sounds:
36 sounds (6 banks × 6 variations)
Bank 1: E. Piano 1 Tine EP/Amp, Tine EP/Phaser, Tremolo EP, Dyno EP, VPM Piano, VPM Tine
Bank 2: E.Piano 2 Reed EP 1, Reed EP 2, Electric Grand, SG-1D Piano, 80's Synth Piano,MIDI Grand
Bank 3: Clav Clav AC, Clav BC, Clav BD, Clav AD, ElectroPno, ElectraPno
Bank 4: Piano Grand Piano1, Grand Piano2, Mono Grand, Upright, Piano/Strings,Piano/Pad
Bank 5: Organ Click Tonewheel, Jazz Tonewheel, Full Tonewheel, Console Organ, Italian Combo,
VoxCombo
Bank 6: Other Full Strings, Tape Strings, 70s Strings, Choir, Synth Brass, Sharp Brass

Looks like 5 unique Clav sounds, plus you've then got the variations on each.

Reaction score
Looks like 5 unique Clav sounds, plus you've then got the variations on each.

Thanks! Sounds like it's close, but not quite where the Nord is. Nord has four clavs, but then it adds specific clav parameters so each clav can have four total variations. I'll have to find a store that's stocking one and play it.

Can any SV1 users comment on how the clav sits in a stage mix? This is for a 7-piece band, with two singers, two guitars and sometimes a sax.

Reaction score
In another forum there seems to a be a move away from the SV1 by former owners. I haven't played one myself, but the Nords and Keurz's continue to get a lot of hype. Don

Reaction score
I prefer the nord overall as a gigging board, it is overall stronger on the EP's, clav's and wurlitzers. I find it's all about how the sound is processed when using the clav's. Certain eq settings and effects can do a world of difference to the overall sound and how it cuts though in the mix. I think it's best to mix in a bit of wah and eq the mid/hi so that you can still be heard behind a band.

Ask a Question