Question about Drum Track Creation with Roland DS88 Sequencer

Reaction score
Hey there, I am not really a piano player but am trying to use my son's DA88 as a sequencer to play along with songs I create. (he doesn't use the sequencer, so he can't help me).

I am trying to create a drum track for a song to add synth parts as backing that I can play along with on guitar and vocals. When I go into "pattern sequence" I can create a 1 measure drum beat and save it as a pattern. Here is where I am stuck. Don't I want to save the other parts I create for the song on the 7 other tracks (if my original beat is track pad 1?). When I try and create the next beat and save it to track pad 2 it won't let me erase the original part I created, which is saved to all 8 track pads. I don't get it. How do I get past this? I am stuck! Thanks for any help in advance!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't specifically give you instructions on how to set it up, but the problem, is probably that the keyboard or the sequencer or both are set to MIDI OMNI when you record.

You have to set it up so you are recording each track with its own specific MIDI channel, both at the transmitting and the receiving ends.

Scope out your manuals on how to assign channels to tracks and that should get you thru,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I just have the manual that came with the DS88. Is there something else I should get to learn this stuff. I have never done midi, and the manual is really brief.

Reaction score
I just figured out that the manual I have is only a basic manual. There is a complete one online that I have to download. That should help!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You wrote DA88 instead of DS88 in your original message. That screwed me up as I didn't recognize the model.

Here's a tutorial.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think my problem is that I'm not using the DS88 like others usually use it. I want to create a song starting with just drums. I want to piece together 5 or 6 patterns to create a song. Then I will add parts to it. In the video the guy is doing something else. He's not really writing a song and he's not really creating a performance. Sorry for the bum steer Gary. Yes it is a DS88. Thanks for the help. I think I will start scouring for videos.

Reaction score
Here's the deal. I want to create a drum part in "step mode" like on an old drum machine. I want to create patterns and put them together to make a song. When I do a pattern it assigns that basic beat to the 7 other tracks corresponding to the track pads. That drum part can't be erased. But I am writing a song that has a different drum beat for the chorus and verse. It's basically a country song. Am I using the DS88 wrong? do I need another type of keyboard?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the only way you can do it with the DS88 is to sequence each part as a different user pattern and then scroll thru them as you go.

Remember you can record up to 8 measures in a pattern.

And I'm pretty sure the DS88 can do step recording but I'm not sure where I've seen it. I will play around with my DS61 in a couple of days and see what I can come up with.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question