Question Ketron SD90 / SD9

Reaction score
Hello,

I have bought a Ketron SD90 and now I have the following problem:

I have been a Yamaha user for ages and have got used to the operating logic. Now I connected my PSR S770 via Midi to the Ketron. The idea is to use the Ketron as an auto accompaniment with the drums, but keep some sounds from Yamaha. So I configured the Yamaha Midi Menu:

- Yamaha Midi Settings "All parts", all channels switched off except "lower" and "upper"

I did the same thing to the Ketron:

- Ketron Midi settings "Keyboard Style & Voice", "Receive", "Upper = CH 1", "Lower = Ch 2"

This is all working out great. But I noticed that when I play an Em with my left hand on the Yamaha, i.e. an Em chord, the Ketron produces a completely different Note => FMaj7 (see appendix)

I've already tried everything and I just can't get anywhere. Is it because of the midi settings? Do I need to adjust something on the Ketron? I want to play chords with the Yamaha that are also taken over by the Ketron.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• FQA.pdf
    521.3 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
It sounds, as would you have set the wrong chord recognition mode in the Ketron.
Go to view and chord. Usually you have the easy1 mode, what is too easy.
Push the button "mode" till it says "Finger2".
When the goal is, to use the Ketron for automatic accompaniment, you could do it the following way.
Yamaha MIDI menu, take MIDI off preset as base.
Transmit menu, set for style bass and style pad the channel to 1. Disable everything except note.
Go to the user tab and store it with a recognizable name as Ketron.
Next step is to select a style, that provides the notes, the Ketron needs. I would use a freeplay style, EtherealVoices, variation C does a good job. Mute everything except bass and pad. Set the accomp level to zero. The style has to run, that AI fingered works.
On Ketron Menu, MIDi, arranger keyboard, RX, global to 1.
Ok, now the right hand sound is audible, we doesn't want it.
Push and hold one of the piano icons, you come in the sound edit menu, turn all layers off, push save, give it maybe the name silent.
Next step is, that the Ketron reacts correctly to AI fingered.
Go to view, pianist & bassist, pianist to standard.
The next thing is a bit confusing. You would expect, that the setting, how the auto bass responds to the lowest note in the bass menu. But it's in Keyb. Control. Set bass to lowest, and it will respond to the lowest note the Ketron get. "To Root" is the right mode, if you play piano and with left hand some bass lines, in this case the Ketron accompaniment will fold down the bass phrases to the root note or the lowest note you provide.
This way you have Ketron accompaniment with AI fingered.

Ask a Question