Question regarding getting a new keyboard

Reaction score
Hi!

Newbie here and wanted to ask something :)

I want to buy a new keyboard this week, I've been using Roland EXR-5 for about 13 years and some keys have stopped working lately (a few months ago other keys stopped working and now they work sometimes)

I am debating if I should get Roland EX 30 or EX20 since they seem to be closest to the one I have but I read online (Amazon) that the keys stop working after a month/week...

This will be my second set of keys and I'm no pro nor beginner.
I use my keyboard to play, create music as well as Accompaniment for when I'm singing (+ when using Ableton).
I am set on these 2 since it also have a wide range of sounds (I LOVE to play with all the instruments on my EXR 5 and it's a part or my music playing, BUT if you have any other recommendations I am happy to learn)
Also the screen that shows which note I'm playing is very helpful for me)

Thank you for reading this far and thank you in advance for any reply.

Reaction score
It will be helpful if you amend your profile to include which Country you reside in.

You quote the Roland E-X models which as it happens are only available in a limited number of Countries. What Roland arrangers that are available where I live are very, very old designs and do not include the E-X models.

Sticking with an Arranger for an intermediate player then you have:-
Korg Pa700
Korg Pa1000
Yamaha SX700
Yamaha SX900
Medeli AKX10 (limited availability and support network so do check what it is like where you live)

Whilst Casio also have arrangers they are not in the same market segment as those listed above.

There are top end models by Korg in their Pa4X which is available in 61 or 76 key versions and Yamaha with their Genos but we are taking some $5000 & $6000 USD respectively.

Reaction score
Hi Biggles,

Thanks for replying, I live in Israel (Updated on my profile)

It seems that
Korg PA700 and the Yamaha SX700 are on my budget (Medeli AKX10 isn't available at the store and the others are very pricy)

That said, Roland EX20+30 are cheaper in price and I think the Yamaha+Korg have more features I won't really use.

I'm still hesitant if I should stick with the Roland EX series or choose another keyboard, mainly because of the reviews on Amazon, even though I believe I'll be able to fix it if the keys will stop working at the store (with the warranty, Still it will be annoying if it happens).

Also, will my Roland Dp-2 pedal work on a non-Roland keyboard? (I know it shouldn't be a factor in deciding but still good to know)

(I am the only musician in my circle of friends so I'm grateful that I found this place :) )

Reaction score
If you are handy and confident with a screwdriver and stripping kit down then you have nothing to loose.

Probably a good clean of the contacts and a removal of accumulated debris may solve the intermittent issues.

Whilst it is open you could check circuit boards components for signs of over heating or leakage.

I cannot comment on the E-X models as they are not available in the UK and even if they were their design age would ensure that I would not consider them at all.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Reaction score
I will do some more research online about the Yamaha and Korg before going to the store and checking everything physically.

Thank you for recommending them!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your Roland pedals will only work with Roland or Yamaha keyboards. Everyone else uses opposite polarities.

Some workstations auto detect polarities.

Also, see if Kurzweil KP series arrangers are available in your area. They are mostly rebranded Medelis.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will soon be ready to buy an arranger but not sure if I should hold out... Maybe the Korg Pax5 will be out soon?

Reaction score
Good luck Chris I have been waiting over two years for a Pa4X replacement.
Thanks Biggles, Yeah, something tells me that I should either just buy a Pa4X or even go back to a Genos. Seeing I bought a Nautilus which is superb in every way buying another Korg board even though it's an Arranger might not make sense.

As you have said before and I am sure others have too you need to justify the price difference. It is possible to buy a Genos lightly used for about $4500.

Reaction score
$4500 is an insane price.

I just do not get how USA prices are what they are!

A PA4X 76 here is £2600 or £3500 US yet at Sweetwater it is $4500, crazy.

Reaction score
I have no idea Chris why the prices are what they are.

For a very long time UK prices were way more than they were in the US, but not now.

Bonners are not necessarily the cheapest, for Korg and Yamaha arrangers then A&C Hamilton are my first choice suppliers, the fact that they are 15 minutes from where I live is a great bonus. The sales guy Justin does a lot of videos that are well worth watching.

Reaction score
I was looking at a Genos at Sweetwater but it's $5999! ... I flip from Genos to PAX4 daily lol. The cheapest I have seen a Genos here either as an "open box" of a demo is $4500. I normally like buying new as then at least IF I want to resell I am the only owner but $1500 extra is just crazy on top of the hiked up prices we pay here that you made me aware of.

Bottom line, with the new OS on the PAX4 I am sure it is every bit as good as the Genos if not better.

I have watched a few A&C Hamilton Utube clips and found them very informative.

Reaction score
The Genos is £3800 or $5170 US here.

So if I had that free cash I could buy a PA4X and a Roland RD88 for the same price as a Genos, yet the Genos sells like hot cakes.

Go figure

Reaction score
If you know anything about organs it was the same in that area for a while. Retired people with extra money would spend up to $80,000 on a Lowrey organ. Mostly the Lowrey was used by beginners. It was loaded with "one-finger play" options.

I think it's the same with the Genos. Mostly bought by the retired who enjoy playing along with good quality backing tracks.

The Genos is a wonderful arranger and when I had one briefly I was blown away by the sounds... The couple of Genos Vs PA4X videos I have seen online when doing a comparison I actually prefer the Genos.

What doesn't help the Genos is the amount of poorly played videos that are on Utube.

The one thing that I heard is the sounds on the PA4X that come "out of the box" are bare-bones and need to be tailored. The sounds on the Genos are far better "out of the box" but cannot be changed much whereas Korg sounds can be customized deeply.

Reaction score
Interesting comments Chris.

Genos - primarily bought by retired folk. The sales guy at my nearby store even said just that on one to me of my visits when another sales guy was giving a hard Yamaha sell to someone I know. I put it down to the Yamaha syndrome, they bought a Yamaha many years ago and stick with the brand when updating.

I do not necessarily agree about Yamaha sounds, to me out of the box the Piano sounds are excellent, EPs OK, strings/brass/wind not so good, to my ears they are shrill and harsh a sort of James Last sound about them.

Totally agree about Korg sounds, in fact I have suggested many times that their out of the box sounds are rich and mellow. Easily solved in about 10 seconds. go into Global Menu and find the Mixer and turn On the Eq. As simple as that, it instantly bring alive the sounds giving them a warmer and more vibrant tone. There are six Eq presets to choose from, with each one being very easy to customise to suit a specific environment. There is also the Limiter control which can be use to fine tune the overall sound format. The 4X also has Max Eq which takes the control to a even higher level of detail.

Genos v Pa4X is a close call, swings and roundabouts. I know from trying various Yamaha keyboards that I dislike their Menu system and for that reason alone I discount them. Korg‘s OS takes some getting used to but once mastered is quick, easy and fast to perform a vast array of functions.

What do the sales guys use at the music store I quoted above when they perform to an audience at a venue? A Pa 4X.

Reaction score
There you go!... if that is what the sales guy says you know you are on to a winner. I spoke to my sales guy at Sweetwater when I bought my monitor speakers (Focal Shape 65's) they were pricy at about $2000 for the pair but it's the best investment I have ever made. I had a pair of Yamaha HS8's before that. The Focal's are in a different league. I have never played a PA4X but edging closer to making that my final decision.

Ask a Question