Radio Shack MD-1700 to PC via Yamaha UX-16 USB cable

Reaction score
[SOLVED]Radio Shack MD-1700 (clone of Casio WK-1630) to PC via Yamaha UX-16 USB cable

Hi! I own a RadioShack MD-1700 keyboard (a clone of the Casio WK-1630 brand, so info on that keyboard might be relevant) in good working order, which I'm trying to connect to Finale 2012 on my Windows Vista PC with a Yamaha UX-16 USB cable. I've plugged the cable's MIDI-OUT plug into the keyboard's MIDI-IN jack and vice-versa. The drivers for the cable have been successfully installed and Finale detects the cable. The keyboard turns on and produces sound.

On the keyboard, MIDI is set to output on channel 1, and this is the channel where the sound goes when I play the keyboard normally (according to the "Musical Information System" on the keyboard's LCD screen).

I just realized that the cable actually is getting MIDI data from the keyboard (an indicator light flashes when you press a key, as I only just saw), so the problem is actually that either the computer isn't getting data from the cable or that Finale isn't getting data from the computer. Any further ideas about what I could check? Thanks!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if you mean this behaviour:

Read Page 42 of the manual, there you find details what you can change in midi mode:

DUMPING/IMPORTING DATA
The keyboard’s internal data, including data
recorded to memory and synthesizer data,
can be sent and received in bulk as MIDI ex-
clusive data through the MIDI terminals.
Thus, you can use a computer or other MIDI
device as an external storage device.
First make connections from the MIDI IN and
MIDI OUT terminals to an external device us-
ing MIDI cables.
Note: Some software does not support MIDI
exclusive data.
Dumping Data
1. Put the other device in its receive
standby mode.
See the owner’s manual that comes with
the receiving device for details.

2. Press MIDI.
3. Repeatedly
press
, BulkSnd?
appears.
4. Within 5 seconds, press YES. Sending
appears. The keyboard automatically
exits the data transfer mode after all the
data is sent.
mporting Data
1. Press MIDI.
2. Repeatedly
press
. BulkRcv?
appears.
3. Within 5 seconds, press YES to prepare
the keyboard to receive data.
4. Start the send operation on the con-
nected device. See the owner’s manual
that comes with the connected device
for details. The keyboard automatically
exits the data transfer mode after all the
data is received.

Regards

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I tried that and unfortunately there's no response. Go figure, RadioShack has absolutely no tech support -- the phone "tech support" only suggests you go to a store, and the guys at the store have no experience working with this product at all, and haven't sold musical keyboards in the store for years.

Does anyone who owns this brand of keyboard have experience using its MIDI capabilities? It looks like the forums are my last best hope...

Reaction score
Actually, I just found out that this brand is a clone of the Casio WK-1630, so if anyone has any info on using MIDI with that keyboard, it might well be relevant to my issues. Thanks!

Furthermore, I just realized that the cable actually is getting MIDI data from the keyboard (an indicator light flashes when you press a key, as I only just saw), so the problem is actually that either the computer isn't getting data from the cable or that Finale isn't getting data from the computer. Any further ideas about what I could check? Thanks!

Reaction score
Looks like the problem was that the computer wasn't opening a MIDI input connection. Using the diagnostic software tool MIDI-OX, I was able to do that, and Finale subsequently received MIDI data just fine. Problem solved!

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my MD 1700 only i am trying to get the MIDI to be detected on FL.9. I have tried the methods i have read on this site but i think i am doing something wrong.

Ask a Question