RAG DOLL query with notes . .

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Confused:confused:
The bar shows to play C for 4 beats as well 2 more beats on C and one on D = 7 beats? Uh!
How can you hold down the key for 2 beats on C when you are already holding it for 4 beats?

It is a FOUR SEASONS song . . Rag Doll.

Thanks
Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Sorry previous message lost my attachment . .

It is a FOUR SEASONS song . . Rag Doll.

Thanks
Ray

Attachments

• RAG DOLL155.jpg
    RAG DOLL155.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
First the symbol you have a ? against is a quarter rest which is for the accompanying guitar playing the F Chord that is shown above.

The top stave is the vocal line and the notes could be for a guitar where it would be easy to play and hold the C on one string whilst picking the two other C and one D on another string. Being a vocal line it could also be for guidance of the vocalist on where in the held note they sing the other worlds.

A accompanying pianist would play the second stave, playing notes and holding others as it shows.

I would suggest playing the second stave throughout with your left playing the chords will give a richer sound. If you are intending to play left hand chords do remember that a guitar chord F is a tad different to an F on a keyboard.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Many thanks indeed @Biggles
I kind of figured it was guitar related since the tabs are there above the staff.
I listened to the original tune and yes as you said . . the vocal has Franki singing one part and the others singing the other part.

Not understanding guitar playing conflicted with my limited knowledge of music theory.
I didn't know you could play a C on more than one string.

Anyway . . makes sense what you suggested.
I am going to re-write the whole tune ( to my liking) on blank staffs. One octave lower as well. I have done this for other tunes, it enhances my playing skills too.

You're a gem Col.

Cheers
R

Reaction score
Ray
A guitar is tuned E A D G B E hence in fourths and most chords are played over all six strings or over five strings as is the case with a C chord with its C E G C E notes that are played.

As a side point on any single guitar string each fret is a half step so by the time you get to the 12th fret you have moved up an octave from the open string note.

The F chord on a Guitar is for many a chord to far, it is F C F A C F, which is played my barring the first fret.

btw The F chord as played on a guitar would be spread from F2 via F3 to the F4 octave on your keyboard.

Playing guitar chords on the left of a split arranger will not sound right whatever guitar tone is selected, it can sound good but not quite there. As a guitar chord is strummed there is a very slight time delay between when each note is strummed. This takes some practice to replicate on a keyboard and is certainly a skill I have not mastered.

Good luck with your transcribing and learning

Ask a Question