Rare One Hit Wonder Songs

3dc

Reaction score
Post here very little known or rare one hit wonder songs you accidentally discovered on YouTube.
I just did this one:
Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne Keeley - If I Had Words. Just listen to falsetto voice from this guy! :)

3dc

Reaction score
Laban - Love in Siberia

or

Roxanne - Charlene

P.S. If you know some good old stuff especially synth-pop please share it here.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For something to be a one hit wonder doesn't it once have to have been a hit?

Seriously, I wouldn't know any of the songs or artists you posted from a hole in the wall.

Most of us here come from all over the world and from all generations so what one person would call a hit most of us would never have heard of. Likewise the record charts of the past were regional as well.

The 60's and 70's were full of one hit wonder groups like Lighthouse and Sugarloaf and Herman's Hermits but synths were expensive in those days and only the big label groups were using them.

One 80's one hit wonder that comes to mind is Ian Drury and his "I'm too sexy" and "Hit me with your rhythm stick." Another one is the Flying Lizards' "I want money." But in the 80's it depended if you were listening to Pop, New Wave, Alternative or Punk.

In the 90's there was Roxette and "Joyride."

Again it depends if you were listening to mainstream or niche genres. Even the record charts started splitting off there into categories like Country, Pop, Alternative, Jazz, Easy Listening, Christian, etc...

Honestly I don't know what you expect from this thread, but the premise is so vague I won't participate.

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
No problem Gary. I was hoping maybe you guys have a favorites list of little known (synth-pop) hits that are not quite notable in Eastern part of the world from 70's onward. Something like this songs:

Aneka - Japanese Boy
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
Frida - I Know There's Something Going On
Real Life - Send Me An Angel

You see me and especially my kids love these over many recent hit songs. But I can see now why this topic is too vague for you western hemisphere guys. What would we consider as classic hit song might be just a random cool song for you guys. :p:D

Reaction score
I could list you a zillion one hit wonder synth pop songs from the 80’s but none of them were discovered by me recently on YouTube - I lived them at the time. So they don’t fit your criteria.

3dc

Reaction score
I could list you a zillion one hit wonder synth pop songs from the 80’s but none of them were discovered by me recently on YouTube - I lived them at the time. So they don’t fit your criteria.
You will have to excuse my poor Tarzan English. I meant RE-DISCOVERED or found again on YouTube. I am sorry for confusion.

BTW here is another one - from Down Under! :)
Mental As Anything Live It Up

@Biggles These two don't fit into old synth-pop hit song "criteria" but they are sure crazy and yes I never heard them before. :D

Reaction score
You will have to excuse my poor Tarzan English. I meant RE-DISCOVERED or found again on YouTube. I am sorry for confusion.

@Biggles These two don't fit into old synth-pop hit song "criteria" but they are sure crazy and yes I never heard them before. :D
Gotcha!

I’ll have to correct you on Mental as Anything though. They were huge here in Australia and far from a one hit wonder.

Reaction score

Gotcha 2

There is no mention of old synth pop criteria in the header or the first post

Reaction score
Talking of Antipodean one hitters, at least here in old Blighty.

It is also one of my favourite songs of all time.

That’s two strikes you blokes.

John Farnham has more hit singles than I’ve had hot dinners.

More like a 100-hit wonder.

It would be the equivalent of me saying Journey or Rush were unsuccessful bands because they had no impact in my home country.

Reaction score
That’s two strikes you blokes.

John Farnham has more hit singles than I’ve had hot dinners.

More like a 100-hit wonder.

It would be the equivalent of me saying Journey or Rush were unsuccessful bands because they had no impact in my home country.
Not so Paul, if you re-read my post it was UK specific.

He was a one hit wonder here in the UK with Your the Voice his only top 20 hit, his others were outside top 50.

Which is sort of sad given his great albums.

Like A-Ha, who were massive with Take On Me but bombed with everything else.

Reaction score
Not so Paul, if you re-read my post it was UK specific.
Yes but OP wasn’t. This IS an international Forum, old chap.

I’ve heard Mr Farnham called many things, but one hit wonder - nope. When @Rayblewit gets here he’ll have a heart attack!

If your next choices are AC/DC, Kylie Minogue and INXS, I’m going to have to give you an edu-ma-cation on some real one hit wonders. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Flash and the Pan only released two albums, both in my collection, while the band members eventually all split up to bigger and better things.

Look at the band Squeeze and ask yourself how badly has Jools Holland done for himself these days? :cool:

Gary ;)

Ask a Question