RCM History 9 Videos

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that The Royal Conservatory has released their history books for levels 9, 10, and ARCT. (No, not the books to get an ARCT in Composition and/or Theory; the books to pass the theory and history assessments for a performance ARCT. Passing all three ARCT theory assessments supported by the texts will get you an ARCT certificate, but not an ARCT diploma. Yes, it's confusing.) I've picked up a copy of the Level 9 book and am studying it for a May assessment exam. (You can buy it from cheaper sources.)

At any rate, there's lots of music in the book. The main pieces examined are the following:
  • Baroque
    • Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
    • Bach: The Well Tempered Clavier
    • Handel: Messiah
  • Classical
    • Haydn: Emperor Quartet
    • Mozart: Ein kleine Nachtmusik
    • Beethoven: Symphony No. 5
  • Romantic
    • Schubert: Erlkönig
    • Chopin: Polonaise in A flat Major
    • Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique
    • Bizet: Carmen
  • Modern
    • Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
    • Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
    • Bernstein: West Side Story
    • Louie: Music for Piano
    • Adams: Short Ride in a Fast Machine
I've decided to create a YouTube playlist of all the music referred to in the book. If you're interested, the list can be found at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtFS7P6gof9hMsM0ZKmHG7QYIAoaHl5Y5. Right now it's only got two pieces, but over the next few months the list will grow considerably. However, it will stop growing in May. (As far as I can tell, there will be no pieces performed by me.)

Reaction score
I haven't listened to The Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra in a long time - thanks for that :)

Hope all goes well with your exam prep!

Ask a Question