RD300GX - how to make note sound until the key is pressed again?

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up an RD300GX so that when a key is pressed and released, the note continues to sound until the key is pressed and released again? Or is there some other way to make it play infinitely sustained chords?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dunno for that particular keyboard but look in the splits voice edit section if it has one for something called latch. If that option is checked it will continue to play after a note is released until the next note is played and latched.

Or if you need more control set up the sustain pedal to hold a note on one side of a split until it's released.

These are the usual ways of setting this sort of thing up.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I searched the whole user manual and sadly no occurrences of the word "latch". Neither could I see anything else that seemed immediately relevant to my issue. The sustain pedal option is not ideal as I'm wanting to set a chord playing and then wander off to play a guitar. Seems strange that such a fully functioned keyboard does not have this option.

Reaction score
Yes - it may not be possible. But I thought I'd ask the experts before giving up. I'm certainly no expert myself.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
You could go the DIY route and build yourself a foot switch. Sustain pedals are momentary switches. You push down and the pedal engages; you release and the pedal turns back off. Effects boxes use a different type of switch, in which you push it once and it engages and stays engaged until you push it again. It should be quite possible to buy a cheap Boss pedal at your local pawn show, strip out the electronics, removing knobs, etc., and just use the foot switch in place of the traditional sustain pedal. Heck, if you've been playing guitar for a while, you might still have one of those pedals you bought when you first started playing that you've stopped using. You might as well use it to experiment with.

I haven't done this, so I'm not making any warrantees that it will work. But at least theoretically it should. The bad news is that you won't be able to use a normal sustain pedal at the same time, without swapping cords. And the sounds won't sustain any more than they sustain while holding the sustain pedal down. (Piano will still decay, etc.) Also, it won't automatically stop and restart when changing chords. But when you're changing chords you're standing in front of the keyboard, right?

Ask a Question