RD700 replacement

Reaction score
I've been gigging with the RD700 for twenty years. Having volume faders for, Rhythm, Lower, Upper 2, and Upper 1, at your fingertips was great for mixing will performing live. Unfortunately, it's become too heavy, or I should say I've become too old to transport.

Any suggestions on a lightweight keyboard that has some of the same features as the RD700? I have an FA06 but the Rhythm volume control takes a little digging and not many Rhythm styles preprogrammed.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Getting old sucks.

Your RD is about 50 lbs so I can feel your pain.

First thoughts sticking with Roland is an RD88 c30 lbs but you will need to check how easy it is to adjust volumes on the fly.

Next up is moving away from a DP to Roland’s new Fantom 0 series, the 08 is 33lbs and has a number of sliders which will probably be available for volume control. See my thread on this keyboard as Tutorial Videos are now available.

Studiologic Numa X Piano, 73 and 88 key versions available 25 & 30 lbs respectively. Checkout the specs to see if it has the functions you seek.

Reaction score
First thoughts sticking with Roland is an RD88 c30 lbs but you will need to check how easy it is to adjust volumes on the fly.

Next up is moving away from a DP to Roland’s new Fantom 0 series, the 08 is 33lbs and has a number of sliders which will probably be available for volume control. See my thread on this keyboard as Tutorial Videos are now available.

Studiologic Numa X Piano, 73 and 88 key versions available 25 & 30 lbs respectively. Checkout the specs to see if it has the functions you seek.
There are plenty of lightweight boards out there one could mention, but I don't think RD88 or Studiologic Numa X have rhythm styles (or any drums at all, actually). Fantom 0 should be able to do it, though.

Reaction score
Since I rarely use rhythms, I'm not really in a position to make confident recommendations of what to get, I have a better knowledge of what not to get. ;-)

In case my previous post wasn't clear, I wasn't saying I had good ideas here. I was saying there are lots of lightweight boards--you named some, I could name others--but if they don't do the rhythms, they're not going to do the job at hand.

It might also be worth looking at arrangers.

Reaction score
Probably better waiting, a Korg Pa5X in 61, 76 & 88 keys is likely to be released fairly soon and if the leaked info is to be believed its a ground up brand new design.

Meanwhile the Roland Fantom 08 is probably the best

I do not know enough about a Kurzweil if these have the features then could they deliver the goods.

Reaction score
I've been gigging with the RD700 for twenty years. Having volume faders for, Rhythm, Lower, Upper 2, and Upper 1, at your fingertips was great for mixing will performing live. Unfortunately, it's become too heavy, or I should say I've become too old to transport.

Any suggestions on a lightweight keyboard that has some of the same features as the RD700? I have an FA06 but the Rhythm volume control takes a little digging and not many Rhythm styles preprogrammed.

Thanks!
I used an RD 700-still have it-but it is too heavy for sure and in the case it is monstrous. I went to a Juno DS88 for a spell and then went to an RD 88 which I play out alot on now. I also use a midi controller through a Ferrofish organ module and a LesterG rotary pedal for the organ parts. The RD88 is pretty lightweight and fits like a glove in a Casio 2000 case. It is a fully functional board for playing out alot and is geared toward practical performance and not alot of workstation functions and so forth. It does have about 3500 tones on board but you have to dig for them. The "scenes" are the up front quick access sounds made up from tones, but you can manipulate those and change them.

Ask a Question