RD700SX to Ketron SD1000:faulty somewhere.

Reaction score
I need to post this because I cant edit a previous post on the problem.

I have a brand new Ketron SD1000 sound module.I own a Roland RD700SX stage piano.When I connect them up via MIDI cable the Sd1000 doesnt play all sounds in each bank.This is how it connects up:
I connect the module with a Midi cable from Midi In(module) to Piano Out 1(piano).
I connect dual RCA's from L-R on module to amplifier.
I can connect either dual RCA's (module )dual RCAs to amplifier or dual RCAs from module to 1/4 inch to amplifier.Even Dual RCAs module to duals 1/4 ich input on Tascam DP03 recorder/mixer.
I switch on piano,amplifier,module,
I bring up display screen: MSB LSB PC.
I set the banks as:0,1,10,11.
I set the PC to 1-128.I scroll through all 128 sounds per bank.
It does work.But,it doesnt play all tones/sounds.It seems to play way more piano sounds that there are on the module.It also plays only 2 of the 20 electric pianos.This tells me there's a fault.This is also a problem with every SD1000.

Here's where it gets interesting.I still have the Ketron SD2 sound module that I bought in January and this connects up exactly the same way and it plays perfectly.
I wanted more electric piano sounds so I bought the Ketron SD1000.

I was told that the fault with the SD1000 is a bug issue in the Midi Port.Now I'm not convinced thats the problem.I was also told I can alleviate the midi problem by connecting module,piano and computer or ipad via USB.I really want to connect it up via MIDI cable and start using it.

Can anyone relate to this,or can you see where the problem is?

Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem may end up getting fixed by a future firmware update for either the Roland or the Ketron or both.

First of all have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware installed in both units?

Gary

EDIT >>> Also do you have your Roland's Local MIDI set to OFF? If not, then try this first.

Reaction score
The problem may end up getting fixed by a future firmware update for either the Roland or the Ketron or both.

First of all have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware installed in both units?

Gary

EDIT >>> Also do you have your Roland's Local MIDI set to OFF? If not, then try this first.

Hi Gary.

I havent found updated software for either.I'll look for it.

How do you set local MIDI to OFF? I got to try that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Read the section of the manual from pages 60 to 67 paying special attention to the External Controls on page 61.

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/RD-700SX_OM.pdf

Make sure you are only sending on the channels you want activated in those menus.

EDIT >>> Also check the reference to the Local Switch on pages 101 to 102.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Read the section of the manual from pages 60 to 67 paying special attention to the External Controls on page 61.

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/RD-700SX_OM.pdf

Make sure you are only sending on the channels you want activated in those menus.

Also check the reference to the Local Switch on pages 101 to 102.

Gary
Everything is where its supposed to be.

The SD2 works perfectly,the Sd1000 doesnt.It plays too many piano sounds and not enough of the others.I dont understand why 2 modules connect up yet one wont function properly.

Reaction score
Are you trying to use both modules simultaneously?

No.I refer to connect the SD1000 first then trying it out.If nothing changes I then disconnect it then connect up the SD2.The Sd2 always works perfectly.Same cable,same connections,etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Why not test the USB connection method with a software MIDI Router to see if the issue persists.

While it may not be roadworthy, any laptop or desktop PC would work well enough for testing purposes.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seriously, try and beg borrow or steal a regular laptop from someone. Your neighbour, your girlfriend, your greengrocer, somebody...

It's pointless to pursue this if it is in fact a bug with the Ketron's MIDI ports as you yourself have stated in another forum the manufacturers themselves have told you.

Gary

EDIT >>> And forget about testing it with an Android Tablet. They simply don't do MIDI anywhere beyond useless.

Reaction score
Seriously, try and beg borrow or steal a regular laptop from someone. Your neighbour, your girlfriend, your greengrocer, somebody...

It's pointless to pursue this if it is in fact a bug with the Ketron's MIDI ports as you yourself have stated in another forum the manufacturers themselves have told you.

Gary

EDIT >>> And forget about testing it with an Android Tablet. They simply don't do MIDI anywhere beyond useless.

So far I've arranged for neighbour to bring over ipad and he is going to download software to it then we are going to test from there some time tomorrow.Thats a start.We are going try MIdi set up then at some point USB.

Reaction score

Gary

I was told in another forum by the guy who did this video:

Manufacturers havent told me anything.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You know. Actually you could simply haul the itsy bitsy keytron over to your bedroom computer, plug it in and try running any stock MIDI file thru it.

That would give you a lot of answers then and there. No fuss no muss.

Gary

Reaction score
You know. Actually you could simply haul the itsy bitsy keytron over to your bedroom computer, plug it in and try running any stock MIDI file thru it.

That would give you a lot of answers then and there. No fuss no muss.

Gary
Thanks.I'll try that.I just thought that it all needed to be connected as in piano,module,pc,etc.

Ask a Question