RD800

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have took the plunge this week and bought the new RD800 and joined this forum too. I have always owned yamaha keyboards and moved over to Roland due to this amazing RD800. I would be interested to hear your views on this keyboard...I haven't even fired it up yet!

I was hoping for a little help, Along with the RD I also bought the Roland CM110 monitor & speakers and was disappointed that leads we're not supplied in order to actually connect the RD to the monitor. Can you recommend a correct lead? I'm guessing the lead is a 6.3mm jack to jack but I would welcome any suggestions!

Regards
D

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Darren, I just went to Roland's web site to download the manual and any other info about the RD-800 and saw this recall notice:

http://www.rolandus.com/go/rd-800/

You should review that recall notice ASAP and see if it applies to your keyboard-- they list four different serial number ranges, but I'm not sure if they're saying that any RD-800 with a serial number that isn't within those four ranges are safe. The remedy is to have the keyboard repaired, but they list three options, one of which is to have Roland rush the repair kit to you overnight so you can repair it yourself-- I'm guessing it must not be overly difficult to do or presumably they wouldn't even mention it as an option. They also have some "thank you" offers. BUT the recall might not apply to you, since the notice mentions "RD-800 Digital Pianos sold and delivered before June 26, 2014," so if you just bought your RD-800 then the repair might have been done on it before you bought it. Still, it would be best to check it out.

Edit: PS -- I just checked the specs for the CM-110 on Roland's site and it says the following:

Connectors
CH 1 [INSTRUMENT] jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch phone type
CH 2 [LINE] jacks (L, R, STEREO): RCA phono type, stereo miniature phone type
CH 3 [DIGITAL] jack: coaxial type
BALANCED INPUT jacks (L, R): (XLR, 1/4”TRS phone type)
PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
SATELLITE SPEAKER jacks (L, R): (only for dedicated Satellite Speakers)
AC IN jack

The RD-800 manual doesn't say the kind of plugs to use, but the CM-110 manual says 1/4-inch phone plugs, so you'll want TWO of these or something similar:

http://www.amazon.com/CBI-BL2A-Cable-Instrument-Connections/dp/B000Z34EMM

Your local musical instrument shop or Best Buy should have cables, since they should be the same as for an electric guitar:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...0&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=guitar+cable

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply and in-depth information. I did some research concerning the recall on the RD800's before I bought one and knew I would be okay has my model was bought in July rather than June and I double checked with the music shop guys. It appears some people were putting the AC lead in the wrong input but roland have changed the lead position to reduce the possibility of making this mistake!
I purchased two leads today and...phew! they were the right ones - same as your suggestion and all works okay (Pity Roland didn't add some in the box).

I turned the RD on for the first time and simply blown away by the sound etc. I part exchanged a Yamaha PSRS 950 which...I will miss but I changed it due to wanting a 88 key bed and lately I have swung towards the piano, although, there is still plenty of bells and whistles on the RD to keep me happy for many years to come.

Regards
Darren

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm glad you weren't affected by the recall. One certainly hopes that music stores didn't waste time getting their stock of RD-800s repaired, but it's not wise to assume.

Yeah, having 88 keys is nice, and the patch list for the RD-800 looks pretty full. :) I hope it brings you much pleasure!

Regarding the cables, it seems to be getting rarer for things like that to be included with the keyboard/speaker/whatever. Yamaha doesn't even include power adapters with their keyboards, at least the ones I've bought didn't come with adapters-- they must be purchased separately! I can more or less understand why a common type of cable might not be included, because there are so many brands/lengths/materials to choose from, and the manufacturer may figure that each buyer will have different needs and tastes so why try to please everyone-- but a power adapter? I mean, it's not like you can go to a store and select between a dozen different brands/styles of keyboard power adapters the way you can pick and choose between dozens of different USB/HDMI/audio/etc. cables.

Reaction score
Hi! I love my RD800! I've played the RD series ever since the 500. I can't believe the sound of the 800. Amazing.
I never understood the need for the recall, though. People really their power cable into an XLR out???????
Also, if they would have stuck to the standard three prong computer type end they wouldn't have had this issue.

Ask a Question