RD88 with Yamaha FC7 pedal?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Yamaha FC7 pedal will work correctly with a RD88?
Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Not without an adjustment. Yamaha measures the wiper with the tip, Roland measures the wiper with the ring. So it will work but not smoothly; you will either get most of the change earlier, i.e pressing down on the pedal one quarter of the way will cause a 90% change in expression, or vice versa, it all happens at the end. You will most likely need to build or purchase an adapter that switches the tip and ring. I have built several as a couple of my keyboards take the Roland requirement and a couple take the Yamaha, so I use the adapter. In all cases I then get the smooth, linear response no matter what keyboard I use. Read this article and it explains the issue and the simple adapter he purchased to reverse the polarity using two stereo y-jack adapter cables together

Here are the two jacks that you would need. Plug the red into black rather than red to red and black to black

link1

link2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for that. I didn't know about those adapters. Much appreciated information.
Follow up question, if I may... The Casio PX-S3000 give you the option to set your expression pedal to Type1 or Type2.
Does that pretty much take care of the compatible pedal issue?
Thanks again...

Reaction score
Dave, thanks for that. I didn't know about those adapters. Much appreciated information.
Follow up question, if I may... The Casio PX-S3000 give you the option to set your expression pedal to Type1 or Type2.
Does that pretty much take care of the compatible pedal issue?
Thanks again...
I just pulled down the manual. Here it is -> manual link

page EN-9 explains it, though not well....
  • Pedal resistance must be 10k ohms to 50k ohms. the FC7 is 50K ohms, so it qualifies.
  • Type 2 supports Roland EV-5, Kurzweil CC-1 (my Kurzweil follows the Roland logic) and Fatar VP25 and VP26.
"Type 1" has the resistor on the tip (this is the resistor attached to the 'wiper' which performs the measurement) which is consistent with Yamaha pedals.
"Type 2" has the resistor on the ring (this is the resistor attached to the 'wiper' which performs the measurement) which is consistent with Roland pedals. Also this is consistent with the statement in the manual about "...Type 2 supports Roland EV-5, Kurzweil CC-1 and Fatar".

So the answer appears to be that Type 1 is the setting needed in order to support the Yamaha FC7.

Also, if you are handy with a soldering iron you can build your own adapter; purchase a 1/4" Male TRS plug and a 1/4" Female TRS plug. Solder the sleeve of one to the sleeve of the other, solder the tip of one to the ring of the other and finally solder the ring of one to the tip of the other (essentially reversing the tip and ring, aka the polarity). Throw them in a gig bag. This way in the event you are using any keyboard and you breakout your FC7; if it works on direct input then your gig, it is giving you erratic (i.e. not a linear response) simply throw the adapter on it between the keyboard and the pedal. I have several just for these purposes (also in case if a wire breaks on the adapter then you're screwed if you don't have a backup).

Here's the male end: 1/4" TRS male

here's the female end: 1/4" TRS female

Only thing missing is the soldering iron, the solder and the wiring to connect the plugs. here a wire example: 3 conductor wire

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave... appreciate it. I'm thinking about snagging either a PXS3000 or a RD88 for a lightweight gig kybd, and I'm trying to decide which one.
thx again...

Ask a Question