Recommendation for a beginner

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking into buying a keyboard and start learning the basics, I've looked into some models but can't really decide since the reviews seem to have a similar score, so far the models I've picked are:

Yamaha YPT-255:http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/ypt-255/

Yamaha PSR-E253: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e253/

Yamaha PSR-F51: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi.../digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-f51/

Casio CTK 2400: http://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/portable-keyboards/ctk-2400

They look really similar in price and capabilities but I'd still like to pick the best one, if such exists. I'm also open to other suggestions, as long as they are not much more expensive than the listed keyboards. Thanks in advance for your help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I think you'd have a lot more fun if you spent a few more bucks and got a Casio WK-6600 or WK-7600

Not only do they have larger keyboards to play with but they also have so many voices you'd never get bored with them and they'd last you a lot longer before you outgrew them

If you look around on craigslist these days chances are you'd find one selling used in good condition for under $200.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
What is the purpose of your learning to play keyboards? Are you thinking about eventually playing piano? Also, all the keyboards you're proposing are "arrangers", which mean that they include auto-arrangement features. This means that you could play a chord with your left hand, and play the melody with your right hand. If the purpose of your learning keyboards is to be able to use both hands and play more complex music, then you may find that the arranger acts as a crutch, and slows down development of your left hand.

It's hard to say which of the keyboards is best (or if there's something better out there) if we don't know what you want to do. I'm not saying that an arranger is bad, just that it does tend to push your musical development in a certain direction.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Looking at only the four keyboards and a quick glance at their specifications, I'd have to say to go with the Casio rather than the Yamahas. Why?

First, the Yamahas have only 32 notes of polyphony while the Casio has 48. Trust me. Hold down the sustain pedal or play sounds that sustain and you'll notice the difference.

Second, it doesn't look like any of the Yamahas have a MIDI connection. So if you want to use a computer at some point, you'll have to get a different keyboard. I don't like USB MIDI since it limits what you can connect directly, but the Casio's USB MIDI is better than no MIDI.

Finally, the environmental impact of buying batteries is a bit much. The Casio includes a wall wart, but you'll either keep buying batteries or eventually have to buy a power supply for the Yamahas.

So, if the universe consisted only of those four keyboards, I'd go with the Casio. Luckily for you, it doesn't. Let us know why you want the keyboard and we may come up with better options. And I'd recommend a used keyboard as a first keyboard anyway. You'll save money and get better capabilities for a keyboard that you'll probably replace as you improve.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seriously Fred. From the list he posted he's looking at $100- $250 range entry level keyboards.

My guess is that he'd be happy enough with beginner features like autochord and auto rhythm and the ability to create a musical tune without too much effort to begin with.

If he seriously wanted to learn piano styles and fingering he'd have listed some entry level electronic pianos instead.

Let's face it. Not everyone who starts playing keyboards wants to become another Rachmaninoff :D

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
There are other keyboards out there in the same price range, if you look at the used market. Which is why I'm asking what he wants to do with the keyboard.

Reaction score
What is the purpose of your learning to play keyboards? Are you thinking about eventually playing piano? Also, all the keyboards you're proposing are "arrangers", which mean that they include auto-arrangement features. This means that you could play a chord with your left hand, and play the melody with your right hand. If the purpose of your learning keyboards is to be able to use both hands and play more complex music, then you may find that the arranger acts as a crutch, and slows down development of your left hand.

It's hard to say which of the keyboards is best (or if there's something better out there) if we don't know what you want to do. I'm not saying that an arranger is bad, just that it does tend to push your musical development in a certain direction.
Hi, I was actually thinking of using it mostly as a cheap piano, I find it interesting to learn, I probably won't fool around much with all the different sound effects. I just want to use it as a hobby instrument to occasionally relax on stressful days, I would probably want to be able to play some songs (pop, rock) I listen to frequently as well.

Reaction score
Personally I think you'd have a lot more fun if you spent a few more bucks and got a Casio WK-6600 or WK-7600

Not only do they have larger keyboards to play with but they also have so many voices you'd never get bored with them and they'd last you a lot longer before you outgrew them

If you look around on craigslist these days chances are you'd find one selling used in good condition for under $200.

Gary ;)
Hey Gary,

I'm sorry but I'm not from the USA and I couldn't find either Casio model on my local second hand sites and a new WK-6600 costs more than twice as much as any of the keyboards from my bugget list which I really can't afford, perhaps you could suggest some other, possibly older models, or an alternative cheap new keyboard. Mostly I'd want the keyboard's piano sound to be decent, I'm not that into making different sound effects, I would just like to practice some piano chords and eventually be able to play some of my favourite songs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The thing is that with second hand keyboards you sometimes have to keep looking for a few weeks or a month or two before one comes up.

They're both extremely popular keyboards but people do sell them quite often either because they want to upgrade or else they tried it and junior couldn't stomach the routine of weekly lessons. :)

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
The thing is that with second hand keyboards you sometimes have to keep looking for a few weeks or a month or two before one comes up.

They're both extremely popular keyboards but people do sell them quite often either because they want to upgrade or else they tried it and junior couldn't stomach the routine of weekly lessons. :)

Gary ;)

Many second hand sites (eBay, Craigslist) have alerts you can create. Instead of checking the site daily, it will email you when a new one is listed.

Reaction score
Ok but still the delivery from a country like the USA would cost a small fortune and the WK-6600 second hand on eBay are still over my budget and also I'm quite cautious of buying things second hand in general, not to mention when I can't even meet the seller in person to try the keyboard out. Also, believe me all the keyboards from my local sites that are within my budget are older, look worse and probably play worse than the ones I suggested, so I'll probably get a new one.

One last thing, what if I got the Casio CTK 3200 or a Yamaha YPT 340, they're a little over my budget but are they worth the extra money in comparisson to the CTK 2400?

CTK 3200: http://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/portable-keyboards/ctk-3200
YPT 340: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi.../digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/ypt-340/

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, the CTK3200 is definitely a worthwhile step up.

It's a pretty decent entry level machine.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, the CTK3200 is definitely a worthwhile step up.

It's a pretty decent entry level machine.

Gary ;)
Sorry, I've just edited my response and included the Yamaha, any noticable difference between the two or just go with any one of them? Possibly the Casio again because of the 48 notes of polyphony?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry I have no experience with the Yamaha but I did try out a 3200 for a few days two years ago. It definitely has superior specs and polyphony as well as a decent sounding set of voices.

To be honest, when I see people agonizing over the decision to buy a $200 keyboard I don't really have too much sympathy.

It's largely a matter of reviewing the specs and knowing that what you get is not a professional quality piece of gear to begin with.

When I see the other regulars on the board like Michael and Fred jump thru hoops to convince someone that spending an extra $50 or not will make all the difference I end up asking myself "WHY DO THEY DO IT?" "WHY BOTHER?"

We all love music and we all encourage every level of talent and ability here, but honestly whenever I see yet another posting of "Which keyboard under $200 should I get? A Yamakorg X or a Rolandorf Y?" I'm ready to hurl a brick thru my screen.

People OBVIOUSLY don't bother reading the other posts or the sticky in the "What keyboard should I buy section" and don't put in a single gram of effort doing their own research.

Instead, they try and negotiate with the ones giving them the advice and try to shave down the price to the lowest possible dollar.

Sorry for the rant but I just suddenly felt the urge to vent. :eek:

Maybe I'll qualify for "special needs seating" on my next vacation flight out of the polar deepfreeze... :p

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
When I see the other regulars on the board like Michael and Fred jump thru hoops to convince someone that spending an extra $50 or not will make all the difference I end up asking myself "WHY DO THEY DO IT?" "WHY BOTHER?"

I'm not saying to spend more money. I'm saying that he may be better served by some other $200 keyboard, one that's not an arranger. I understand the notion of staying within a budget. (It's my day job.)

Sticking with a $200 budget and avoiding any used instruments is an exercise im artificially limiting your choices.

(On the other hand, I can understand why seeing the same post over and over again might drive a person to rant.)

Reaction score
Hi! We have one similar to the Yamaha YPT-255. We like the sounds.
Where do you live? Here in the states, it is not hard to find these, and similar, being sold used on "Craigslist" or pawn shop.

Reaction score
I don't know where you are, but let me be the heretic here. From what you describe as your needs/desires - buy a piano. You can get a spinet where I live (USA) for $200-$400 or an upright for about $100. They will never depreciate further and there is almost nothing that can go wrong. A cheap keyboard is worth almost nothing in the resale market while a piano tends to stay at it's current value. It's not difficult to transition from a piano to a keyboard but very difficult to go the other way.

Reaction score
I totally neglected the real piano option. In many countries, this should be a great option. For many decades, a family having a piano was a big deal. And, they were truly built to last. And, nowadays, with less emphasis on the up-and-coming classes having their kids know French and playing violin, and with all the music sources we have, the piano is not as much of a requirement in the home as it has been - so there are many out there for sale - the market is flooded!

You could get one for free, if you look hard - a family may be moving, or have a deceased relative and they really just need to get a 60 year old piano out of the home.

We sold a wonderful piano a year ago for $100! And it sounded so great! We just decided to go with other options, musically and home-decor.

Just look for a piano that is functional / is in tune.

Moving a piano is a big deal. A smaller spinet could be moved with a couple of pizzas (for your strong friends), while some require a professional, costing maybe $100-300 USD. Ask a local music store that sells pianos about who can do the job well, and inexpensively.

We talk about how real a digital piano might sound, but in the end it is like margarine versus butter. Or even more extreme - there is simply nothing like a piano - the sound, the touch, the expression...

Reaction score
I don't know where you are, but let me be the heretic here. From what you describe as your needs/desires - buy a piano. You can get a spinet where I live (USA) for $200-$400 or an upright for about $100. They will never depreciate further and there is almost nothing that can go wrong. A cheap keyboard is worth almost nothing in the resale market while a piano tends to stay at it's current value. It's not difficult to transition from a piano to a keyboard but very difficult to go the other way.

Okay, I'll be a counter heretic here.

I actually don't strongly disagree with ptooner, but think a couple of additional considerations need to be on the table.

I have both an acoustic piano and a Casio keyboard. I like both, and use each for different reasons.

Things do go wrong with pianos, and I have had to have them repaired and adjusted beyond tuning. I say that because I have also been responsible for the piano in a club I belong to. The old club's piano has the strings at the low end beginning to stretch so much that the tuner is having trouble keeping up, and the cost to restring the low end is around $1,000, definitely in excess of the value of the piano. If you get a piano, you are also making a commitment to have it tuned two to four times a year, I pay about $150 each tuning and try to get it done twice a year. So far, I have not had to have my Casio tuned.

I still value the sound of my piano. There is something richer about it than the sound of the Casio. The action on each is different, which I consider an advantage. Practicing on two different instruments on a regular basis has made it easier for me to adapt to a new instrument than when I was usually only playing one.

My goal for a keyboard was to be able to practice (almost) silently while my wife watches TV. I found the Casio to be the best value new, but the Rolands and Yamahas I looked at would have served as well. My main recommendations:

• If you go the piano route, remember there are ongoing maintenance costs
• If you go the keyboard route, be sure to get one with 88 keys if your long term goal is to move to piano.

Ask a Question