Recommendation for Praise/Worship Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am in the market for a good "all-around" 88-weighted key (or similar action) stage-type piano. Sequencer is not a must, but I would like that capability if possible as I would like to have the flexibility to compose with the instrument as well. I would like the ability to change sound patches without killing the sound as I switch from one to the other during a live performance. I really need excellent pianos, strings, pads, electric pianos but would also like decent drums, bass guitar, acoustic guitar (for the composition/sequencing piece). Again, looking for primary instruments that you would see in a praise & worship band. Price range ideally no more than $1500. Have contemplated going with an inexpensive controller and then using rack approach (such as Motif or Ivory II) instead of sinking my life savings in a full-blown unit (like the Motif XF) for which most of the sound patches will not be used by me. Suggestions?

Reaction score
I have a number of different keyboards, and each has it's own strength and weaknesses. Last year I bought a Casio PX5S (88 weighted key) stage piano and now use that as my regular gigging board. It has a good keyboard feel and very good piano and EP sounds. I especially like that the sounds cut through, but sit well, in the mix with other instrumentation. plus they sound great. The interface is somewhat awkward to me when changing patches on the fly, (just a personal thing I think). I have integrated my Ipad into my rig using an app called "Set List Maker" to manage my patches and patch changes on stage. It works great. I just pre-programed the patches I want to use, then I can just touch the screen to instantly change set-ups. The more I play the PX5S, the more I like it. It is also extremely flexible in programming and can cover almost any kind of synth sound. It might be worth looking into the PX5S and doing some research to see if it fits your needs. There is also a Facebok users page and may custom patches can be downloaded from a Casio forum site. http://www.casiomusicforums.com/ Don

Reaction score
Thanks!!!! Actually my first keyboard was a Kurzweil. Very pleased with that one as well. And you're correct. Do not know how I forgot about the B3's, Hammonds, etc. Would love those as well. Thanks for mentioning this board. Will definitely take a look at it.

Reaction score
I have a number of different keyboards, and each has it's own strength and weaknesses. Last year I bought a Casio PX5S (88 weighted key) stage piano and now use that as my regular gigging board. It has a good keyboard feel and very good piano and EP sounds. I especially like that the sounds cut through, but sit well, in the mix with other instrumentation. plus they sound great. The interface is somewhat awkward to me when changing patches on the fly, (just a personal thing I think). I have integrated my Ipad into my rig using an app called "Set List Maker" to manage my patches and patch changes on stage. It works great. I just pre-programed the patches I want to use, then I can just touch the screen to instantly change set-ups. The more I play the PX5S, the more I like it. It is also extremely flexible in programming and can cover almost any kind of synth sound. It might be worth looking into the PX5S and doing some research to see if it fits your needs. There is also a Facebok users page and may custom patches can be downloaded from a Casio forum site. http://www.casiomusicforums.com/ Don
Thanks so much for the information. I am not very familiar with the Casio keyboards. I've owned Kurzweil, Roland, and Yamaha. I will definitely take a look at the PX5S, though. Does it operate pretty well as a stage performance board (ie easy to maneuver around on the fly)?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
the PC3LE8 weighs in about 50 lbs and has a history of weird firmware problems requiring factory service. I'd instead recommend the PC3K8.

The Casio PX-5S on the other hand is a very recent entry into the market with superb pianos, killer synths, hex layers, decent organs and weighs in at about 20 lbs.

The Casio also sells for about half the price of the PC3LE8 and less than a third of the price of the PC3K8.

Gary

Reaction score
the PC3LE8 weighs in about 50 lbs and has a history of weird firmware problems requiring factory service. I'd instead recommend the PC3K8.

The Casio PX-5S on the other hand is a very recent entry into the market with superb pianos, killer synths, hex layers, decent organs and weighs in at about 20 lbs.

The Casio also sells for about half the price of the PC3LE8 and less than a third of the price of the PC3K8.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks!!!! While I am not very familiar with Casio boards, I have started taking a look at the reviews based on some response from the forum. It does seem that the PX-5S is a powerful board. I plan to get into a store and check it out. Thanks for the information.

Brian Dial=20

Reaction score

Don,

One related question. You mentioned that you had integrated your iPad into your rig. I am a novice when it comes to using this sort of technology in music, but would like to know more about this and even begin to incorporate this. I am aware that Mac laptops have traditionally reigned supreme here. How do iPads measure up here (ie Would you recommend 32 GB or is 16 GB sufficient based on your usage) vs using the Mac laptops? I ask because I am also considering purchasing an iPad (or Mac) for general personal use, but would certainly like to make the purchase to also meet the demands that utilization in a keyboard rig would pose. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Brian

Reaction score
Brian, I only have experience with the IPad (first generation) which I bought last year to experiment with. I am basically using it to run an app called "Set List Maker" as a patch manager for the PX5S. It works very well for that purpose. My Ipad is a 64 Gig but I'm using very little of that memory. To use set list maker, I bought an Apple Camera Connection kit which attaches to the Ipad and has a plug-in for a USB cable. I just attach the USB cable between the Ipad and the PX5S and run the app. If you want to run virtual instrument apps, it is recommend to buy the most current version Ipad with as much memory as you can afford. In my case, the first gen does all I want, as I also use it for web access when I travel. I can't comment on using the Mac's as I use a PC for my DAW and other music
purposes. I can say that my Ipad runs great and rarely glitches, and I am very pleased with it. I may upgrade in the future as my first generation OS can't be upgraded beyond it's current version. I hope this is helpful. Don

Reaction score
Thanks!!!! Actually my first keyboard was a Kurzweil. Very pleased with that one as well. And you're correct. Do not know how I forgot about the B3's, Hammonds, etc. Would love those as well. Thanks for mentioning this board. Will definitely take a look at it.

I was about to say it's going to be tough for you to stay within $1,500, but delaware Dave showed you a great find.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am in the market for a good "all-around" 88-weighted key (or similar action) stage-type piano. Sequencer is not a must, but I would like that capability if possible as I would like to have the flexibility to compose with the instrument as well. I would like the ability to change sound patches without killing the sound as I switch from one to the other during a live performance. I really need excellent pianos, strings, pads, electric pianos but would also like decent drums, bass guitar, acoustic guitar (for the composition/sequencing piece). Again, looking for primary instruments that you would see in a praise & worship band. Price range ideally no more than $1500. Have contemplated going with an inexpensive controller and then using rack approach (such as Motif or Ivory II) instead of sinking my life savings in a full-blown unit (like the Motif XF) for which most of the sound patches will not be used by me. Suggestions?

You will want some drawbar Organ ("Hammond B3") functionality. If you are going to transport the unit a lot (say, weekly to church), you may want to back down to 76 keys.

Ask a Question