Recommendation from this list?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an absolute beginner trying to learn piano. I'm trying to buy a keyboard between $100-$200, however, since I live somewhere where buying online is not an option, because of that my options are a bit limited. Below is a list of available keyboards that I've found and can afford.
Yamaha
  1. PSR EW300
  2. PSR E263
  3. PSR E363
Casio
  1. WK-240
  2. CTK-1550
  3. CTK-2500
  4. CTK-3500
These were the only affordable options I could find. Roland, Korg and others are non existent in my country. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do you want to play Piano or Keyboard, there is a difference and a further difference in how you learn.

If you want to learn to play a keyboard, I would also suggest a Casio over a Yamaha.

There is also the Casio CTX700 to consider which is a new model but it would be close to your budget limit.

You will also need a stand which if you get an X framed stand should have a security strap or lock to protect against collapse and a seat.

If you want to learn to play piano then the keybed will be different with 88 keys with a hammer action whereas a keyboard has a light synth action as it is called.

A digital piano will cost more than your budget unless you can find a se ond hand unit.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm an absolute beginner trying to learn piano.
Great!
Make sure you enjoy the challenge and be patient. If you are young then don't get trapped into just learning the right hand melody and left hand chord accomp. All keyboards have this facility but you may regret it later in life (as I do).
So if you can get a KB with 88 keys within your budget then go for it and study and practice bass and trebble Piano. Make sure the KB had a sustain pedal too which is very important playing piano.
The budget KB will be ideal for learning and as you advance you can update later.
Take your time. Enjoy it.
Remember . . Love life, love music.

Welcome to the forums and tune in regularly and ask many questions.

Ray

Reaction score
So if you can get a KB with 88 keys within your budget then go for it and study and practice bass and trebble Piano.
Ray
I can't afford a 88 key piano at the moment and my options are quite limited, Roland, Williams keyboard are very rare and non existent in my country. 88 keys keyboards are also quite rare and a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I will get an electric piano in the future when I've improved.

Reaction score
There is also the Casio CTX700 to consider which is a new model but it would be close to your budget limit.
I want to learn piano and my options are limited. The options I've listed are the only affordable keyboards I've found. CTX is quite rare in my country.

Reaction score
If I tell my tale that may help you decide.

I have only been playing keyboards for about three years after many, many years of guitar playing (6 string and bass) but age and in my case arthritis in my hands with it worst in my left makes fretting difficult especially for solo riffs and instrumental pieces so I thought that I would give keyboards a try.

I bought a fairly low cost one and started playing, I progressed pretty well but then I grew to hate the keyboard, its action was just OK. The problem was that the menu system was dire, with button after button press being required to just do a simple task and whilst I had never liked the tonal qualities of the keyboard the lack of tonal quality was really starting to bug me but the keyboard was what it was a budget beginner board.

I do not have a dedicated room to play in, just a corner of my Dining Room so mostly I use headphones so I can rule out rubbish speakers inbuilt in the keyboard as being the source of the poor sound, playing through the inbuilt speakers was never a pleasurable experience and that is still the case with most budget models.

I sold the keyboard in question and bought my Korg PA700 which is light years ahead in terms of quality of build and sound but it is 4x the price.

The keyboard that was the source of my annoyance, a Yamaha PSR E363.

You have duly been advised what not to buy.

Finally please remember what Ray and myself have advised, these are keyboards, they are not pianos, yes these keyboards have piano sounds but the whole process of learning to be a pianist is totally different than that of being a keyboardist.

Reaction score
The keyboard that was the source of my annoyance, a Yamaha PSR E363.

You have duly been advised what not to buy.

Finally please remember what Ray and myself have advised, these are keyboards, they are not pianos, yes these keyboards have piano sounds but the whole process of learning to be a pianist is totally different than that of being a keyboardist.
Thanks for the advice, however, since I can't afford a digital piano as of this moment, I think I will just get CTK 3500.

Reaction score
You may also like to invest in a couple of books to helps get you started.

Kenneth Baker books can be easily found on Amazon for about $15 each, they produced two series The Complete Piano Player and The Complete Keyboard Player.

My thoughts are that having books about the two different styles of play will give you the benefit of comparing the two styles since the books are by the same author and hence they are consistent in their approach.

BTW
There are plenty of resources on this forum listed in the threads that will help with music theory and online training videos

Good luck

Ask a Question