Recommendation on Digital Piano

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently dusted and brought home from my parents' a very old Casio keyboard that I played for years when I was in my tens and early twenties. It has been around ten years since that. I have been playing now for a few months and I am starting to have fun again, but I think it would be much greatest if I had a board with more realistic tones, specially the piano one, and with sensitive piano-like keys.

Now that I could afford it even if only to spend some of my spare time whenever my wife and children allow, I am thinking in buying a digital piano. The key features I am more interested in are:
88 keys with a realistic hammer-action effect,
very realistic piano tones as well as a harpsichord
lots of other tones: the more and more realistic the better
possibility to split the keyboard into different tones
After some search in the internet I have concluded as my preferred candidates either
  • the Roland RD-700SX Digital Piano, or
  • the Yamaha S90 ES Synthesizer
I am not sure if I am making the good choice with these two candidates, also because the second one is being classified as a Synth that is something that always attracted me very much but I never really knew
about the capabilities of such a piece of professional equipment.

I will appreciate any advice or help from anyone's side on these two boards or any other suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
ManL

Reaction score
I always tell everyone the same thing with digital pianos- Yamaha cp33. In my opinion this is the best, most accurate piano feel/sound for the price. The s90 has a lot more stuff and is more expensive, but it is also way legit. I know someone on this board has one, and will hopefully reply to this thread. If you want more than just the basic sounds, you might want to check that one out. Either way, Yamaha is going to get you the best piano sounds for the price. The Roland doesn't have a very realistic feel to it, but it is a very good keyboard and is really lightweight. I don't think the sound is as good though either.

Reaction score
I agree with Skot on this, Yamaha just sounds better. I've owned 2 Roland workstations in the past, and wasn't too impressed with either. I owned a Yamaha DX7 in the early 80's and it was a great all around synth. I tested out a Yamaha S90ES at a local dealer and was very impressed, and it does cost quite a bit over other choices, but not as high as some and this synth not only has a dedicated Piano engine, but a great synth sound also. The Roland RD700sx is about the same money, it's really your call!

Ask a Question