Recommendations for Rehearsal rooms & Studio

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly thanks you for taking the time to read my post. This is my first post on this forum so I apologise in advance for any faux pas.

I run a rehearsal and recording and studio in the UK and I am looking to acquire a keyboard or synth for the studio that could be used by rehearsing bands.

I understand keyboards, organs, pianos & synths are a bit of a gap in my musical knowledge and don’t really know what would be most useful resource for a bands or also what features or specs would be most beniftial, providing enough versatility whilst also being cost effective.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, specific products would be fantastic. I am also open to the idea of taking advantage of the secondhand market from getting the most bang for my buck but don’t want to rule out new options.

If any further detail is required please let me know.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

The big question first budget, £?.?.?

There are three electronic keyboards, arrangers, workstations and digital pianos, that said there is overlap on the functions of each.

Say £6k ish.
Korg Krome 88 £1100
Roland Juno DS88 £1000
Yamaha MOXF8 £1300
Yamaha CLP 625 digital piano (all in one hence stand not needed) £1000

+ monitor speakers at £200 per keyboard or amp at £300
+ Z stand for each keyboard or similar, suggest you get two tier to start with (Hercules or Quicklok?) to give expansion potential £150 each,
(please do not compromise with a cheap stand as you do not want £1000 of keyboard crashing to the floor during heavy playing).
+ adjustable stool @ £40 for each keyboard

Visit a large music store by arrangement and they will no doubt help to spend all your budget, PMT have many large stores with Manchester being huge, Promenade Music in Morecambe is awesome, Music Matter in Preston, Rimmers have a huge keyboard store in Bolton, Dawsons in Liverpool and Manchester.

As you can probably guess from the stores I quote I am from the NW.

Reaction score
I run a rehearsal and recording and studio in the UK and I am looking to acquire a keyboard or synth for the studio that could be used by rehearsing bands.
Wow - I've been using rehearsal rooms since I was a teenager, and the only keyboard that's EVER been provided was some dodgy Kawai plastic toy. Maybe it's just not a "thing" here!

That said, if you want to go down this path, I wouldn't bother with a synth or complicated workstation - I'd just run with a digital piano of some kind that will no doubt have a few supplementary sounds like organs, EP's and a couple of basic synth patches.

My rationale being that if the band's needs are complex, the extra functions of the "house synth" will be useless to them anyway, they won't be burning their rehearsal time programming patches, they'll be bringing their own gear.

Given that you're running a business, I'm going to contradict Col a little here:
monitor speakers at £200 per keyboard or amp at £300

I wouldn't spend money on special amplification, I assume your studio has its own monitors and PA, just DI the keys through that.

Also, I differ slightly here, again with your overheads in mind:
Z stand for each keyboard or similar, suggest you get two tier to start with (Hercules or Quicklok?) to give expansion potential £150 each,
(please do not compromise with a cheap stand as you do not want £1000 of keyboard crashing to the floor during heavy playing).
+ adjustable stool @ £40 for each keyboard

Don't waste money on a two tier stand if you're only providing one keyboard (and that's all I'd provide).

And Z stands are very stable, but so are tabletop stands. You don't need anything fancy. Just something sturdy that the player can sit at and play. They want to stand up? They can bring their own keyboard and stand.

Of course you want to be accommodating to your customers, but I think you could spend a lot of money trying to be all things to all people.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cowboy.
Certainly where I live in the UK the studios/rehearsal suites do provide a basic level of kit including keyboards, drums, amps, pa and even a few guitars.

Many also lease out for tutors to use as training.

I am in a University City and students are a big element of business but due to their daytime college commitments the music tutors have daytime use of the suites and the student rehearse at night.

Reaction score
Cowboy.
Certainly where I live in the UK the studios/rehearsal suites do provide a basic level of kit including keyboards, drums, amps, pa and even a few guitars.
I need to move to the UK! That's wonderful.

Here it's always been PA and monitors: Yes. Everything else: Bring it yourself!

Reaction score
Thank you for your response,

The budget is somewhat limited and I don't know if I could stretch to £6k. I could probably only budget £600 for the instrument but I would like to get quality instrument. Hopefully some of these models on the second hand market might be closer to budget and I will certainly have a look.

As per the connections, I was planning of mainly running it through a P.A system supplied within the room but also trying to find a Roland Jazz Chorus amplifier. I have played with player using these amps many times and they have always sounded great.

As per the stand, I couldn't agree more. I use Hercules microphone stands in the studio at present and have held up great. I'll check out 2 tier stands as that is a possibility, especially as this could hopefully be provide a useful addition to visiter currently bringing their own. Stools I do already have in the studio.

I'm a big fan of visiting music stores and I certainly will.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
For £600 it is a no brainer a Roland Juno DS 61 will be £610, it is easy and simple to program and use, its 61 keys which may be a bit limiting but the 88 key version is £1000.

Alternative which is probably a better bet is to go for a digital piano, there are a host of them available in the £600 range.

Second hand kit may be available at a music store but avoid fleabay.

Most folks in the UK tend to hold on to old kit rather than PX it

Good luck.

Ask a Question