Record Music from Piano to Computer ?

Reaction score
I got a Yamaha DGX-230 that has a USB A/B connector thing. Installed the driver for it already.
I looked around and I read that since it's a USB A/B it can only spit out MIDI ... I'm trying to get MP3.

I am trying to record music from multiple instrument settings from the Keyboard into my Computer.
Like drums, piano, violin, and etc .

Could you guys give me info on how to do that ? All help is appreciated.
Also for some reason my Audacity doesn't show up as a recording device ! It only shows my laptop's built in speakers ... Do I need to buy something else now ?

Reaction score
The Y-man is correct, you don't use USB for transferring music but Audio/Line OUT (or even Headphones out) on the keyboard to LINE in on the computer.
Audacity saves the MUSIC (not midi) as a WAV file. To be able to convert from WAV to MP3 you need the free program LAME and place the files in the same folder as Audacity than you have the choice to save the music in various formats.
If you have Audacity downloaded and installed correctly you just have to start up the program.

Ask a Question