Record/Play, Stop Buttons!?

Reaction score
I oredered a "Alesis Q49". It's unpacked in my room now.
But I am alrady thinking if I shouldn't have gotten a Keyboard with Record/Play and Stop Buttons.
I noticed it once, my old keyboard wasn't near the computer, so I had to jump from keyboard to my desktop everytime to record and stop.

I was also about purchasing the "M-Audio keystation 49 MKII" but I didn't find enough reviews about the keyboard. I just found 1 video on youtube. And I heard a loud noise when the pitch button was moved at (4:37min):

I was afraid that I would get this noise to if I buy that keyboard, so I decided to order the Alesis Q49, although it has no RECORD button!!!!!!! :(
I don't know if I made the right choice.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
DAWs will often let you map keyboard controls-- maybe keys as well if your keyboard doesn't have many controls-- to different functions in the DAW. DAWs will also often have a feature to start recording as soon as something is played.

But I can understand why you'd want dedicated buttons for play/record/pause/stop, etc. When it comes to MIDI controllers, my philosophy is "The more buttons, sliders, dials, and pads, the better!"

Alesis makes a VI49 controller that's got a lot of controls, but it costs a good bit more than the Q49. There's also a QX49 and a V49. It looks like the VI49 is the newer version of the QX49-- both have a lot of controls-- but the QX49 doesn't cost as much. The V49 doesn't have nearly as many controls, but it does have a few more than the Q49 does.

I have no personal experience with Alesis controllers. I do have an M-Audio Axiom 61-II, which has a lot of controls, and it works well, although the keys are noisier than I'd like (but that doesn't impact recordings).

Edit: I forgot to ask, which DAW are you using?

Reaction score
I am using Cubase 5. I am beginner to making music at the computer. Not new to music though (have played piano for a few years). I think for the beginning I won't use these extra keys like sliders and pads. I can simply switch it in the program. I wasn't even sure at the beginning if I really stay playing this time. the last time I bought a keyboard I only used it for 2 weeks and then it wasn't used anymore till I sold it.
I believe your theory is right. But maybe for the start not needed.
The last time I had a miditech i2 control 61.
Last time I also thought I am going to become really professional and then I didnt use any of the keys and soon stopped playing xD
This time I was also unsure about to buy a keybord with 49 or 61 keys.
But I know 49 is enough to produce all kinds of music. Only for people who want to always use both hands to play and play life they need at least 61. I am aware I cannot play real piano compositions on this board.

The Alesis got lots of bad reviews I am pretty sure I'll send it back. I already ordered the other keyboard I mentioned earlier.

Reaction score
I have both keys, both I tested.
Not satisfied!
I am gonna return both.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The M-Audio Keystation doesn't seem to get very good reviews. I have an M-Audio Axiom, which is more expensive and presumably has a better build quality, although the keys are a bit noisy. You might try Novation, Akai, or Nektar. I don't have any keyboard controllers from them, but I do have some launch controllers from Akai and Novation, and their build qualities seem to be pretty good. I've been tempted to get a 25-key controller for when I'm traveling, although I'm thinking I might prefer to save up for an 88-key controller with aftertouch.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It may be that the best option when using a less expensive keyboard is to adjust the velocity curve in the DAW.

Reaction score
Yes it looks like I have no other option. So either I'm gonna keep the M-Audio49 or the AlesisQ49. I have to made up my mind this week end.
It's easier to play on the Alesis, the gaps between the keys are bigger. The Keys on the M-Audio have the same key size but the gaps between the keys are more narrow, so the keys together feel narrow.
On the other hand the keys on the Alesis are a bit hard to press. And the pitch button is way too hard to move.
It's easier to play on the Alesis. But I don't like the ahrd key feeling. The Alesis is a bit noisier when using as well.
Difficult decision.

Last edited:

Ask a Question