Record singing voices with Yamaha DGX 660

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new, just bought the DGX 660. My question: Can I record and save my singing into this keyboard ?

Reaction score
Thank you Biggles,
I had this manual and I did exactly as instructed but nothing was recorded...
Does your answer mean YES to my question ?

3dc

Reaction score
DGX660 : USB Audio Recording

Before recording, make the necessary settings such as
Voice/Style selection and the AUX IN and MIC
INPUT connections (if you want to record with the
input sound via AUX IN and MIC INPUT jacks). All
the sound produced via this instrument other than
Metronome can be recorded

1) Connect the USB flash memory to the “USB TO DEVICE” terminal.
2) Press the [SONG/AUDIO] button once or twice to call up the AUDIO SELECT display for Audio recording.
3) To record a new Audio file select “000 New Audio.”
Note: if you select a file that contains previously recorded data the previous data will be overwritten and lost.
4) Press the [REC] button to be ready for recording.
5) Press the [EXECUTE] button to start recording, then play the keyboard.
6) After you finish the performance, press the [EXECUTE] button or [REC] button to stop recording.
Note : the audio file will automatically be saved as “UserAudioxxx” in a folder labeled “USER FILES” which will be created on the USB flash device.
7) To hear the recorded performance pres the [START/STOP] button.

This is straight from Yamaha website. How to connect your Mic is on page 70 of the DGX660 manual. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you all,
My question just need a YES or NO answer.
If the answer is YES meaning I did something wrong in the set up or record procedure.
I had and read all manuals, instructions already.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just tried again, YES I can record my singing but without Style and ACMP function.
Any ideas ?
Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Ah, I see what you're trying to do! :)

No, unfortunately I don't think you can add audio to a User Song you've already recorded. If you want to record yourself singing, you'll need to record directly to an audio file.

If you've already recorded a User Song and would like to add vocals to it, I think you'll need to (1) convert the User Song to an audio file, (2) load the audio file into a DAW or other audio program on your computer, (3) record an additional audio track in the DAW, and (4) mix the tracks together and export them to an MP3 or other file.

Reaction score
Thank you SeaGtGruff,
I agree.
Now I know what I can do for this keyboard (regarding singing).
My next question:
Is there any downloadable Yamaha Styles can use on this dgx 660 ? I found the built in styles are not to my taste.
Thank you

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
@Michael Le, I had a thought about a way you might be able to do this on the keyboard rather than in a DAW, but I've no way to try it myself since I don't have a DGX-660. It would still require using an additional device such as a computer or phone, but if you'd rather not get too involved with DAWs then this should be simpler (if it works):

1) Record a User Song-- which I think you've already done?

2) Convert the User Song to an audio file on an attached USB flash drive.

3) Plug the USB flash drive into your computer or other device; if you're lucky, you might even be able to connect the USB flash drive to your smartphone if you've got a suitable adapter.

4) Connect the computer or other device to the keyboard by plugging one end of an auxiliary audio cable into the headphones jack of the computer/device and plugging the other end into the AUX IN jack of the keybiard.

5) Connect a microphone as well.

6) Use the procedure for recording directly to an audio file while playing back the existing audio file and singing along with it. I'm not certain that the keyboard will let you mix the audio from the AUX IN connection with the audio from the microphone, but I don't see why it shouldn't. I'm also not certain whether you need to be playing something on the keyboard while doing this, but I don't see why it should.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
See page 85 of the manual.

There's also some information on page 84, but I think that's for converting a User Song to a standard MIDI file.

Reaction score

2) Press the [SONG/AUDIO] button once or twice to call up the AUDIO SELECT display for Audio recording.
Note: if you select a file that contains previously recorded data the previous data will be overwritten and lost.
6) After you finish the performance, press the [EXECUTE] button or [REC] button to stop recording.
Note : the audio file will automatically be saved as “UserAudioxxx” in a folder labeled “USER FILES” which will be created on the USB flash device.

This is straight from Yamaha website. How to connect your Mic is on page 70 of the DGX660 manual. I hope this helps.

Hello! There is NO "000 New Audio" in my Yamaha DGX-660. Looks like can't record my voice through mic?? Have been going through manual too. Is my mic connected badly? It is working properly otherways

Reaction score

Hi there. My name is Mark and I've recently tested out the Audio record function on my DGX660 to record my playing and singing directly to my USB...the only thing is...the keyboard only records 35 seconds at a time which is very annoying. Is this a standard feature or am I doing something wrong?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think I've seen other people post similar complaints, and IIRC the problem was something to do with their USB flash drives-- but I might be misremembering. I don't recall whether the other users resolved the issue by using a different USB flash drive, or reformatting their USB flash drive using the keyboard's function menu, etc.

Ask a Question