Record Yamaha P-125 in my laptop

Reaction score
I'm buying a Yamaha P-125 digital piano. But got no clue about how to record stuff I play in best quality in my computer.

I previously had a PSR E443 and never got able to record stuff in the computer. I used a USB printer cable and installed the Yamaha Steinberg
USB Driver to the computer. But when I connected the keyboard to the computer, the device never got recognized.

So with my new keyboard, I really need to figure out how to do this successfully. I'll really appreciate some steps to get this done.

Thanks

Reaction score
Welcome.

There are multiple ways.

Page 21 of the manual shows how within the unit.

At the rear there are auxiliary outputs which with the correct cabling you could connect up to the computers audio input and use software like Audacity to record your performance.

Then there is MIDI, the P125 is MIDI capable but just how compliant it is I am unsure. This is the Driver that should enable the keyboard to be seen.

Download it, extract to a specific location say a folder named P125 and connect the keyboard then using Device Manager ensure that this driver is being used.

When it is seen correctly by Windows you will need to tell your DAW what keyboard is connect, the selection may well be in the Preferences sub-menu.

Let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Thanks,

Can you mention amazon or some other links of exact cables that I need to get,
-auxiliary outputs and
-MIDI output

Reaction score
Cannot be specific about cables as I do not know what type of socket(s) are fitted to your computer, they may be phono left and right or 3.5mm TRS ( stereo ) or 3.5mm TRRS ( stereo + mike ).

I do not have time now but I will post a link for each option later today another member has not done so.

BTW
The link I gave you is the downloads page where there are other manuals available for your P125 including one specifically for Computer operations and there is another on basic MIDI.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Although I take it you no longer have the PSR-E443, I just wanted to mention that you were probably trying to use the wrong driver with it. The Steinberg driver is for Yamaha keyboards that can send and receive USB audio over their USB connections, and the PSR-E443 cannot do that. It uses the standard Yamaha driver instead, which just handles USB MIDI communications and file transfers.

Reaction score
I bought the new P125-B and was able to succeed in this.
Just needed
  • USB printer cable ,
  • Install the 'Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver' to the computer.
  • 'Audacity' as the software to record audio
Thanks everyone.
On a side note, P125-B is a great digital piano. With the sustain pedal, it sounds fabulous.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Thank you for the update! I'm glad you were successful at getting everything to work with a new P125-B.

Reaction score
Just needed
  • USB printer cable ,
Thanks everyone.
On a side note, P125-B is a great digital piano. With the sustain pedal, it sounds fabulous.
i have windows 10 pc, i have the usb printer cable, i installed the yamaha steinbrenner’s usb driver, and I have audacity as the software. when I play my p125 keyboard, it records the pattern and it uses the sound of the audacity on my p125,. ..... how do I get the recorded track to PLAYBACK the track using the p125 sound instead?

Reaction score
i have windows 10 pc, i have the usb printer cable, i installed the yamaha steinbrenner’s usb driver, and I have audacity as the software. when I play my p125 keyboard, it records the pattern and it uses the sound of the audacity on my p125,. ..... how do I get the recorded track to PLAYBACK the track using the p125 sound instead?
Bit unclear.

What do you mean by "records the pattern and it uses the sound of the audacity on my p125". Audacity doesn't have inbuilt sound as far as I know. It records your digital piano as Audio input.

You can play the recorded track via P125 speaker, if you select your 'Digital Piano' as your playback device (right most dropdown) in Audacity.

And you can record your playing, in your digital piano and play it without a pc. There is a record and play button in the digital piano.

Reaction score
Just needed
  • USB printer cable ,
Thanks everyone.
Ummm man can i ask you something?
I don't know how to insert the yamaha steinberg usb driver to audacity and because i don't use the audacity much so i'm really confused how to use it
Can you teach me how to record it pls?

Reaction score
Ummm man can i ask you something?
I don't know how to insert the yamaha steinberg usb driver to audacity and because i don't use the audacity much so i'm really confused how to use it
Can you teach me how to record it pls?
You just have to download and run the installation wizard of Steinberg (https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_for_win.html).

Then try connecting you digital piano to your computer via a USB printer cable. If Steinberg installed successfully, your digital piano will be shown as an input in the computer (Just like when you connect a USB pen drive to your computed).

Then open Audacity and you will see your Digital piano as an input, in the dropdown.

Ask a Question