Recording in Casio WK-1800

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Got a question for anyone with keyboard recording experience...

I direct choirs, and usually have a pianist during rehearsals. But when the pianist isn't available, I use my Casio WK-1800 keyboard as the "accompanist." This works because I record the music onto the keyboard prior to rehearsal.

Because it is for accompaniment purposes, the meter needs to be strictly followed, so I record the music using the built-in metronome. (Sometimes I quantize, sometimes I don't depending on the complexity of the piece).

What I'm wondering is: How do I program and record in the tempo changes (ie. retardandos, tenudo, a tempo, etc). I know that if I use a laptop connected to the keyboard, then I can just program in different tempos in the music program (Cakewalk, MidiSoft, Sibelius, etc). But I don't want to have to use a computer on a regular basis. (Besides, whenever I use the computer-keyboard option, the playback is always at a very diminished volume, for some reason. Not good enough for a choir accompaniment). So, after recording with the metronome, can the tempo be adjusted in certain places within the music and have these adjustments recorded?

To answer some questions you may have: I sometimes accompany the choir, myself, but have a difficult time accompanying and conducting at the same time. Thus, the use of my Casio keyboard.

Also, I could just record the accompaniment without the metronome, and play as though I were accompanying (with the retards, and pauses, etc), but this leads to meter problems. This is why I prefer to record using the metronome.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
Mark

Ask a Question