Recording multi track songs on the EK-50

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm mostly a piano player (Yamaha P125) but I want to get a basic arranger, and the EK-50 looks like the right one for me (full keyboard detection mode is super important, and it has good speakers, L/R line outs, and I love the "keyboard sets" - I'm not one who wants to spend time modifying my own sounds). I've watched every review and demo I can find, but one thing I can't seem to find any information on is the sequencer.

Has anyone used the sequencer for making multi track recordings and if so I would love to hear your comments on good, bad, etc. My main use for this would be to make my own backing tracks for use live behind a piano sound.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have not tried an EK

Page 17 onwards of the manual describes the recording feature.

The EK seems to be a capable beginner keyboard but for more recording functionality the a Pa 700 is far more capable.

Also a Korg Kross 2 has pretty good recording functionality

Reaction score
I have not tried an EK

Page 17 onwards of the manual describes the recording feature.

The EK seems to be a capable beginner keyboard but for more recording functionality the a Pa 700 is far more capable.

Also a Korg Kross 2 has pretty good recording functionality

Thanks for that! Looks like you can "live record" what looks like 8 tracks (4 tracks for the 4 layered parts you are playing, and 4 tracks for the rhythm/accompaniment) - the Korg website actually says 12 tracks but whatever. And then it looks like the only edits / overdubs you can make are for the 4 tracks that you are playing (no edits to the backing tracks recorded). So not really what I was thinking it was (an actual punch in punch out edit any track kind of thing).

Thanks for those other 2 recommendations, the PA looks awesome but I could buy 3 and 1/2 EK-50s for that, and 2 for the Kross. If I was going to spend twice as much I might opt for trading in my P125 piano for a DGX-670 - it has the same action (which I like and am used to) and has some amazing arranger functionality built in; just weighs 9,000,0000 pounds :D

Thanks again for your tips!

Reaction score
Take a look at this?

I used this App with my P series, works well and is way, way cheaper than another keyboard.

Should you consider a DGX at some point do plenty of research as you may find the recording features a bit limited, also consider the Korg Xe20 which is similar to the DGX but being a Korg its recording features will be superior to Yamaha’s

Reaction score
Hey that app looks super cool I will try it out thanks so much! Can you use it to generate/record a backing track for use live later on? I'll check out the Korg as well (I think Jeremy See has some comparison videos of that and the DGX)

Do you still have/use P series pianos?

Reaction score
I checked out the Jeremy See video and it looks like the DGX recording functionality is actually miles ahead of the Korg XE20. On the Korg you have to record all style tracks and then go in and remove / edit tracks one at a time (you can't just record one track at a time), while the DGX allows you to record one track at a time, has punch in punch out, quantize, and also allows audio recordings as well.

Here's a link to the spot in the review where he shows the recording functionality:

I have heard great things about the Korg PA series for recording, but it looks like the XE20 is closer to the minimal functionality on the EK-50

Ask a Question