Recording one keyboard to a seqencer of another keyboard

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if I have two keyboards connected via midi, and I'm using the master (controller) keyboards seqencer, can I play something on the other keyboard, and have what I've played be recorded to say track 3, or, whatever track I so choose?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That will depend on the capabilities of both boards.

An alternative is to record on one as a MIDI file and import to the other.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That will depend on the capabilities of both boards.

An alternative is to record on one as a MIDI file and import to the other.

Gary ;)
Hi Gary, right now, I have a psrS750, and a psrew400. I would use the S750, as the controller keyboard. Also, I plan on switching out the EW400, for a modx7. But that won't happen for a few months. I know very little about midi. In fact, this will be my first go at it. I don't have the keyboards midied together yet. I didn't want to spend the money on the cables, until I knew if what I wanted to do was possible. Thanks for any insight.

Mark

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unfortunately Mark, I don't own any Yamaha boards so I know nothing about their sequencers. I do all my recording using a computer.

Hopefully one of the numerous Yamaha users here will jump in with an answer.

Try msging Seagtgruff or Rayblewit. I know they use Yamahas.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Unfortunately Mark, I don't own any Yamaha boards so I know nothing about their sequencers. I do all my recording using a computer.

Hopefully one of the numerous Yamaha users here will jump in with an answer.

Try msging Seagtgruff or Rayblewit. I know they use Yamahas.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary, sounds like a plan.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As Gary/@happyrat1 says, it depends on the capabilities of the keyboards.

For example, the entry level PSR-E keyboards that I have cannot do this; their built-in song recorder can record what I play on them-- with certain limitations, such as the inability to record the left-hand part at the same time as the two right-hand parts-- but it cannot record any MIDI data being received from an external source.

But the higher-level PSR-S keyboards have settings that let you assign one or more incoming MIDI channels to one or more parts on the keyboard, which lets you record the incoming MIDI data.

If you want the most control over what gets recorded, as well as the most options for editing, your best choice (in my humble opinion) is always going to be to use a DAW. That would let you record both of your keyboards-- either all at once or one by one-- arrange the MIDI tracks as desired, and export the final result [edit: to a MIDI song file using a specified configuration of channels].

By the way, I just saw your additional posts. I believe you should be able to send the PSR-EW400's MIDI output to the PSR-S750, and set up the PSR-S750's MIDI Receive settings such that you can record the data coming from the PSR-EW400. The PSR-EW400 doesn't let you pick which channels you want to transmit on-- Main will be on channel 1, Dual will be on channel 2, and Split will be on channel 3-- but with the MIDI Receive settings on the PSR-S750 you should be able to assign specific incoming MIDI channels to specific parts on the keyboard.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info SeaGtGruff, based on your recommendations, I think I will go ahead and purchase the MIDI cables, and try it out. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Mark

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, the PSR-EW400 doesn't have regular MIDI ports, it has USB-MIDI, so you can't just connect it directly to the PSR-S750. You must connect the PSR-EW400 to a device that can act as a USB host, then connect from that to the PSR-S750. There are a number of threads in this forum that list some of the available standalone devices you can use for this, so you can either search the forum or search the web for "USB MIDI host."

Reaction score
Ah, good to know. Well, in about 3-4 months, I plan on replacing the EW-400 with a Modx7. Would I still need to purchase a intermediary host device to connect the PSRS-750 to the Modx7? If not, then I'll just wait until I get the Modx, no sense in getting the host device if I'm only going to need it for a few months.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, if you’re going to be recording one keyboard’s MIDI output in the other keyboard’s MIDI sequencer, then if it’s okay to have a computer or laptop or iPad involved then that can serve as the USB host device. That’s what I do— keep all of my keyboards connected to my computer, then use my computer (or more specifically, a DAW) as the USB host, MIDI processor, and MIDI router for sending MIDI back and forth between everything.

Edit— That was in reference to the PSR-EW400. If you get a MODX then it will have MIDI DIN ports and you can just connect it to the PSR-S750 without any go-between device.

Reaction score
Well, if you’re going to be recording one keyboard’s MIDI output in the other keyboard’s MIDI sequencer, then if it’s okay to have a computer or laptop or iPad involved then that can serve as the USB host device. That’s what I do— keep all of my keyboards connected to my computer, then use my computer (or more specifically, a DAW) as the USB host, MIDI processor, and MIDI router for sending MIDI back and forth between everything.

Edit— That was in reference to the PSR-EW400. If you get a MODX then it will have MIDI DIN ports and you can just connect it to the PSR-S750 without any go-between device.
Okay, thanks. Then, I'll wait until I get the modx. Thank you for your input.

Ask a Question