Recording video from Tyros 5 to Android phone.

Reaction score
I used a splitter from the 3.5mm headphone jack. One side to headphones and the other side to the Android phone via a Sennheiser PCV 05 Combo Audio Adapter. Recording works fine without headphones connected but stops as soon as headphones are attached (needed to hear keyboard) had anyone found a reliable way to record to an android phone?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Smartphones use a TRRS plug and jack to connect a headset.

Here's what you are dealing with.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks. I did use a TRRS jack to connect to the phone. Audio records to the phone fine from the keyboard headphone jack. Problem is the splitter at the headphone jack. As soon as I connect the headphones, recording stops. I need the headphones as inserting the headphone jack cuts off the keyboard speakers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm confused. Are you using a TRS splitter at the keyboard end or a TRSS splitter at the phone end?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think he's got the splitter connected to the keyboard's headphones jack. But I've never heard of a splitter that sends audio to only one side of the split or the other; both sides should be receiving audio from the keyboard, whether or not headphones are plugged into one side. Any other behavior pretty much invalidates the whole concept of it being a splitter. :shrug:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
His best bet is the Behringer 502 I listed. It has TS line outs AND RCA outs. It will simplify his hookup and eliminate the dicey splitter.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've got a normal male to two female splitter at the keyboard jack to give two audio outputs. One goes to headphones. Phone had TRRS jack split to separate Mic and speaker female jacks. Mic input connects to other keyboard splitter output. All works fine without headphones connected but stops when headphones connected?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, my understanding is that the Tyros 5 is a fairly pricey arranger from Yamaha.

Are you telling me it doesn't even have 1/4" TS line outs? You gotta use the shitty headphone jack?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Long explanation.

The phone has an input impedance of about a megphm.

The headphones have an input impedance of about 50 to 100 ohms.

The phones are loading the circuit in parallel, sucking all the current of the keyboard away from the android.

The solution is to use an active mixing device like the Bahringer I suggested and throw the cheap splitter in the garbage. It's worthless for this.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
@happyrat1: Yes, the Tyros 5 has line outs.

@PAULLOGIN: Are you saying the headphones have a built-in microphone? I don’t understand what you’re saying about what you’ve got the mic connected to. As Gary is saying, there are other/better ways you can record the keyboard. But if there’s some reason why you need to do it the way you’re trying to do it, then don’t connect the mic to anything.

Reaction score
BTW, my understanding is that the Tyros 5 is a fairly pricey arranger from Yamaha.

Are you telling me it doesn't even have 1/4" TS line outs? You gotta use the shitty headphone jack?

Gary ;)
Long explanation.

The phone has an input impedance of about a megphm.

The headphones have an input impedance of about 50 to 100 ohms.

The phones are loading the circuit in parallel, sucking all the current of the keyboard away from the android.

The solution is to use an active mixing device like the Bahringer I suggested and throw the cheap splitter in the garbage. It's worthless for this.

Gary ;)
This explains what I am doing

Problem is that it doesn't work with headphones connected but it records OK with headphones disconnected.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
All of that looks fine, but the Tyros has more connection options than the keyboard used in that video. Still, if you follow that video then presumably it should work.

However, the big question is why you want to record the keyboard using your phone. Is that the only device you have available to record with-- no computer, no laptop, no tablet? I don't think you're going to be able to make a stereo recording of your keyboard using a phone by connecting the keyboard's audio output to a microphone jack that's connected to the phone.

Reaction score

Gary ;)
Tyros 5 doesn't have built in speakers so line-out sockets are used to run external speaker system.
All of that looks fine, but the Tyros has more connection options than the keyboard used in that video. Still, if you follow that video then presumably it should work.

However, the big question is why you want to record the keyboard using your phone. Is that the only device you have available to record with-- no computer, no laptop, no tablet? I don't think you're going to be able to make a stereo recording of your keyboard using a phone by connecting the keyboard's audio output to a microphone jack that's connected to the phone.
I've now sorted it thanks. Found a setting in Utilities which allows speakers to be on even when a headphone jack is inserted. I can record via jack and still here keyboard. Thanks for everyone's comments.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm glad you've got it working now!

The low-end PSR-E or YPT model that the guy was using in the video (from the control panel it looked like an old PSR-E2xx or YPT-2xx model) does not have a setting like that, so plugging in headphones will always cut off the speakers.

But the Tyros is a high-end model (a very high-end model) which does have that setting.

As far as the line out jacks, they are not just for connecting external speakers; they can also be used for recording. :)

Ask a Question