Recording with a Keyboard

Reaction score
Hello, I am in the market for a new keyboard. Previously i've been using a couple controllers with a module, but i'd like my next keyboard to have the sounds pre loaded. What I'm particularly interested in is a keyboard that I can plug into a computer and record onto some recording software my friend has. So far all I've found within my budget of approximately $1k is the Roland Juno-G. Does the Juno-G do what I need? Rolands site says that you can plut it into the computer and transfer files, but can I record straight onto the computer, or do i have to record on the keyboard's memory then transfer? Also (but to a lesser extent) I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with a Juno-G can tell me whether it has good symphonic and trance sounds that come with it? My friend and I are into making melodic metal, so those are the two main sounds we'll be using.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Ziltoid,

I have not yet the need for pc recording,as I've been using keyboard workstations for years,so I have no pc recording experience.

However though,from what I have read & from users that I have spoken with,any keyboard that has USB connectivity can interact seamlessly with sequencing pc software-as it's pretty universal,for the most part.

There are various different recording programs such as CakeWalk,Sonar,CuBase etc., & it's just a matter of doing research to see what program will be compatible & the most useful to you.

I've personally tinkered with the Juno-G & was not all that impressed with the sounds-as I have discovered that,when it comes to Roland workstations,even though they are a good recording tool,they skimp on sound quality with thier program preset sounds(I guess to keep the cost low).
The Juno-G is no doubt,a great value for what it is,but since you plan on utilizing pc software to record-I really think you should seriously consider the Clavia Nord Lead 2X.

The Nord Lead was designed for symphonic & trance music and it has 990 sound patches that utterly blister & put to shame,the sound quality of the Roland-there is just no comparison.

I am of the strong opinion that the Nord Lead is by far,the best synth on the market for what you want to do and the best part is,is that it's the same price-just a grand.

The Nord Lead is quite different than the Juno-G,as it does not have a midi sequencer or audio recorder and it does not even have any digital effects-but the compelling factor & the overall them of this keyboard is SOUNDS and extremely high quality sounds that are so stunning-that they actually do quite well on thier own WITHOUT effects.

Since the Nord does not provide onboard effects,this opens up an entire world of possibilties for effects implementation through various effects processors that are available.

Effects processors can be found in just about everything;mixers,external midi hardware sequencers,pc programs & of course-stand-alone effects modules-of which there is a vast assortment & very inexpensive.

Another thing I do not like about the Juno-G,is that there is no pattern-based sequencing-whereas again,pc programs provide this function-which is all the more reason to put that grand into a much better quality synth like the Nord & let the computer do the sequencing-which is the route you want to go anyway.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Elwood

Ask a Question