Recording with "USB to host" MIDI

Reaction score
HEY!

I bought a Yamaha p115, and I took it for granted that it had MIDI so I flipped when I saw it didn´t, but it has something they call USB to host. What is it? How does it work? I have a mac and I use Cubase, and by now I haven´t figured it out... Someone knows how I make this work? Please! Im kinda upset right now... haha

Thanks...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The "USB to Host" connection lets you connect the keyboard to a computer (which acts as a "host") using a standard USB cable-- the same kind you use to connect a printer to a computer. The USB connection is used for sending and receiving MIDI data, so it takes the place of "MIDI In" and "MIDI Out" ports-- or, if the keyboard also has standard MIDI ports, the USB to Host connection adds another way to send and receive MIDI data. The USB to Host connection can also be used for transmitting files-- song files, style files, backup files, registration files, voice files, music database files, etc., depending on the types of files that the keyboard can use. And on some keyboards the USB connection may also be able to be used for transmitting audio.

Note that if you connect a keyboard to a computer using a USB to Host connection, you may need to install a USB-MIDI driver on the computer. The keyboard may have come with a CD that has a USB driver on it, but as is the case when you buy any hardware (printer, monitor, etc.) that requires a driver, you should check the manufacturer's web site to see if there's a newer version of the driver, and you should make sure you install the version that's designed for the specific operating system that your computer uses.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Note that if you connect a keyboard to a computer using a USB to Host connection, you may need to install a USB-MIDI driver on the computer. The keyboard may have come with a CD that has a USB driver on it, but as is the case when you buy any hardware (printer, monitor, etc.) that requires a driver, you should check the manufacturer's web site to see if there's a newer version of the driver, and you should make sure you install the version that's designed for the specific operating system that your computer uses.

Note that only applies to Yamahas and Rolands and possibly a few other manufacturers that use proprietary drivers.

Most brands use USB MIDI Class Compliant Drivers which are truly plug n play and work with any OS using the built in MIDI drivers.

This is one of my main criteria when shopping for a board these days. I refuse to buy any keyboard that requires a manufacturer's drivers.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And one other thing to note. If your computer has USB 3.0 ports the keyboard may not talk to the computer at all.

If your computer has both 2.0 and 3.0 USB make sure you plug the keys into the 2.0 Port.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yes, most keyboard might act like a plug and play device, but usually there's some limitations...like certain features don't work or something. Might as well just install their driver and be done with it.

Ask a Question