Registration Freeze for PSR e453

Reaction score
Hi team,

Wanted to check if there is any way we can freeze styles and transpose parameters without changing voices.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think it might be possible, but you can't do it on the keyboard itself-- you'd need to hack the registrations in your BUP or USR files using a hex editor. I don't recommend doing that unless you're familiar with hex data and hex editors-- as well as the structure of your BUP or USR files-- and positively know what you're doing.

The PSR-S, Tyros, and certain older PSR models did have a "freeze" function, but the PSR-E models don't have that. However, if a given data field within a saved registration contains invalid data-- generally a hex value of FF, but in some cases 7F-- then the keyboard will ignore that data field when the registration is recalled, such that the current setting of that item will be left untouched. This is a bit different than the freeze function, but it lets you achieve similar results.

I can't promise anything for sure, but If you email one of your BUP or USR files to (e-mail address removed) so I can examine it, I may be able to write a simple Windows utility to let you freeze the voices in a registration, as well as add a second split point to your keyboard.

(It turns out that the registrations for the PSR-E models-- at least, those I've seen-- contain two different data fields for the split point. The keyboard sets both fields to the same value when you save a registration, but they actually control two separate split points, similar to the way that PSR-S and certain older PSR models have two separate split points for the auto accompaniment and split voice. If you set the accompaniment split point to a lower value than the split voice split point, you can split your keyboard into three sections-- accompaniment on the left, split voice in the middle, and main and dual voices on the right. Normally you can't play with the split voice if the accompaniment is turned on, and the PSR-E models don't have functions for setting the two split points separately, so the only way to achieve this is by hacking a registration.)

Reaction score
I think it might be possible, but you can't do it on the keyboard itself-- you'd need to hack the registrations in your BUP or USR files using a hex editor. I don't recommend doing that unless you're familiar with hex data and hex editors-- as well as the structure of your BUP or USR files-- and positively know what you're doing.

The PSR-S, Tyros, and certain older PSR models did have a "freeze" function, but the PSR-E models don't have that. However, if a given data field within a saved registration contains invalid data-- generally a hex value of FF, but in some cases 7F-- then the keyboard will ignore that data field when the registration is recalled, such that the current setting of that item will be left untouched. This is a bit different than the freeze function, but it lets you achieve similar results.

I can't promise anything for sure, but If you email one of your BUP or USR files to (e-mail address removed) so I can examine it, I may be able to write a simple Windows utility to let you freeze the voices in a registration, as well as add a second split point to your keyboard.

(It turns out that the registrations for the PSR-E models-- at least, those I've seen-- contain two different data fields for the split point. The keyboard sets both fields to the same value when you save a registration, but they actually control two separate split points, similar to the way that PSR-S and certain older PSR models have two separate split points for the auto accompaniment and split voice. If you set the accompaniment split point to a lower value than the split voice split point, you can split your keyboard into three sections-- accompaniment on the left, split voice in the middle, and main and dual voices on the right. Normally you can't play with the split voice if the accompaniment is turned on, and the PSR-E models don't have functions for setting the two split points separately, so the only way to achieve this is by hacking a registration.)

Reaction score
Hi SeaGtGruff,

Thanks for d info,

Is it possible for any user to just save it generally not hacking by software, in normal ways as like psr i455 has a freeze lock mode which is absent in the e453.

Even Casio ctk 7300in has d freeze lock feature wher styles cant be changed. Just d voices can b selected over the registry buttons once a style or rhythm is played

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The only data that can be "frozen" are the settings related to styles, patterns, and songs.

If you press the STYLE button before you save a registration, the style settings will be saved-- Style Number, Style Variation, Style Volume, and Style Tracks-- but not the pattern and song settings.

If you press the PATTERN button before you save a registration, the pattern settings will be saved-- Pattern Number, Pattern Section, Pattern Volume, and Pattern Tracks-- but not the style and song settings.

If you press the SONG button before you save a registration, the song settings will be saved-- Song Volume and Song Tracks-- but not the style and pattern settings.

In this way you can save the voices and other settings without saving the style settings, such that when you recall the registration it will change the voices and other settings but the currently-selected style will not be affected. But you can't do it the other way-- save the style settings but not the voice settings-- which is what your initial post seemed to be asking for (unless I misunderstood your question).

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I mean "frozen" on the keyboard, without having to hack any files.

Reaction score
Thank you!

This helps a lot. The e453 is just a voicer to me I also use a ctk 7300 in where I have customised the rhythms that it gives a full band experience. Will share with u a style file which I created from a psr 710.

This is a gift from me to you. Its very rare. And I doubt u must have ever heard such a rhythm earlier. None of the keyboards have it. Its common in India here we use it as a party medley.

Hope u like it. Send me you id will mail it to you tomorrow.

Thanks once again for the help.

Allwyn Joe
Octaves-band from the sand.

Reaction score
Hi Seagtgruff,

I have mailed you. This is the master style file for yamaha keys.

Its like a one man band file. Do give me the suggestions on this.

Please check.;)

Regards,
Allwyn

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, thank you! I'll check it out later and let you know what I think.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I haven't tried it on my PSR-E443 yet, but I just looked at it in a hex editor and I see that it's a 4-variation SFF2 file. The PSR-E453 can't play SFF2 files, only SFF1 files. And although the PSR-E453 is able to use 4-variation style files, it can play only the A and B variations.

If you'd like, I can convert the style file from SFF2 to SFF1 for you, and create two or more versions of it so all 4 variations are accessible on your PSR-E453. For instance, one version could contain the A and B variations, and another version could contain the C and D variations (but moved into the A and B positions so you can select them). I can also check the voices and drum kits, and change them as needed to ones that are available on the PSR-E453.

Reaction score
Hello SeaGtGruff, i have a psr i455,It supports only A and B variations. how do i get 4 variations as you mentioned in your post. Do you create two style files. How do you play them without break.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, the only way you can play with more than two variations on these models is to switch between multiple styles while playing, as follows:

(1) Set up the keyboard's settings-- Voices, Effects, Tempo, Time Signature, Style Number, Style Variation, etc.-- as desired, then save the setup to a Registration.

(2) Pick a different Style Number and Style Variation as desired, and check the other settings (particularly the Tempo and Time Signature, which will likely change when you pick a different Style Number) to change them back as needed, then save the setup to another Registration.

(3) Start playing, and use the MAIN/AUTO FILL to switch back and forth between Variation A and Variation B of the first Style. When you're ready to use the other Style, press the appropriate Registration button rather than the MAIN/AUTO FILL button, and the other Style should begin playing. If the Tempo and Time Signature are the same in both Registrations, the keyboard shouldn't miss a beat. Once you've switched Styles by pressing the appropriate Registration button, use the MAIN/AUTO FILL button to switch between Variation A and Variation B of the second Style. Press the other Registration button when you want to return to the first Style.

Try it and see-- just pick any two Styles that use the same Time Signature (i.e., don't try to mix a 3-beat Waltz with a 4-beat Style), perhaps two Styles that sound different enough from each other that you can easily tell them apart, and save two Registrations as described above. Just be careful to double-check the Tempo after you pick each Style, because each Style has a default Tempo, so you must set the Tempo as desired after you choose a Style and before you save the Registration. Then start playing. Practice changing the Style or Variation by pressing either a Registration or the MAIN/AUTO FILL button as described above, to experience how it all works and to practice the procedure. It shouldn't take long for you to get the hang of it. :)

As for taking a 4-variation Style File and converting it into two 2-variation Style Files, you'll need to copy the Style File to a different filename, then use a utility like Jorgen Sorensen's Style Remixer to shuffle each file's variations around (and remove the unused variations). Then you can load the two Style Files to different User Style Numbers on your keyboard.

Just be aware that if you use one of the User Style Numbers when saving a Registration, it saves the Style Number but not the actual Style File-- in other words, if you load a different Style File to that same User Style Number, the Registration will switch to the Style you just loaded, not the Style File you'd previously loaded. Fortunately, if you save everything to a User File, it will save whatever Style Files you've loaded along with the Registrations you've saved.

Ask a Question