Registration memory rage!

Reaction score
Help please before I go nuts! My little girl is doing grade 1 keyboard and has just learnt to use the registration memory key to change from one voice to another mid song. It had been working fine. We select the voice, press and hold reg memory key and choose a number and hey presto it writes. She selects her style, and off she goes. Then, mid piece, she’s been pressing reg memory and then the corresponding number. It was all working fine. UNTIL- yesterday- when she used the function and as well as the voice, it suddenly changes the style too! I’ve tried a reset. I’ve tried selecting the desired style when I’m storing the voice. But no! It doesn’t work! I’m totally stumped! Could this be a fault or am I missing something? Thanks for any ( simple) advice in advance !! Kate

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's actually working correctly, but there's a little trick your daughter hasn't learned yet. :)

When you save a registration, you can save the accompaniment on/off status, split point, tempo, style number, and style main section (A or B) along with the voices and other settings. See the box in the bottom right corner of page 32 in the PSR-E343/YPT-340 Owner's Manual for a list of all the settings that will be saved.

This can be handy if you want to use more than two style variations during a performance, because it lets you switch to a different style just by recalling a different registration. But if you hadn't meant for that to happen it can cause problems, since in addition to a sudden change in the style there might be a dramatically different tempo as well, or the accompaniment may suddenly be turned off entirely!

Fortunately, there's a way to stop this from happening. When you save a registration, the style settings will be saved only if you're in the Style mode-- i.e., if the STYLE button is lit up on the panel. (See the footnote about the style settings at the bottom of that box on page 32, which says that they are "Available only when a Style is selected.") So if you don't want the style settings to be saved in the registration, go ahead and change all of the settings that you do want to save, then press the SONG button just before you save the registration. This will prevent the current style settings from being saved. Then you'll be able to recall that particular registration without it causing the style to change.

Reaction score
It's actually working correctly, but there's a little trick your daughter hasn't learned yet. :)

When you save a registration, you can save the accompaniment on/off status, split point, tempo, style number, and style main section (A or B) along with the voices and other settings. See the box in the bottom right corner of page 32 in the PSR-E343/YPT-340 Owner's Manual for a list of all the settings that will be saved.

This can be handy if you want to use more than two style variations during a performance, because it lets you switch to a different style just by recalling a different registration. But if you hadn't meant for that to happen it can cause problems, since in addition to a sudden change in the style there might be a dramatically different tempo as well, or the accompaniment may suddenly be turned off entirely!

Fortunately, there's a way to stop this from happening. When you save a registration, the style settings will be saved only if you're in the Style mode-- i.e., if the STYLE button is lit up on the panel. (See the footnote about the style settings at the bottom of that box on page 32, which says that they are "Available only when a Style is selected.") So if you don't want the style settings to be saved in the registration, go ahead and change all of the settings that you do want to save, then press the SONG button just before you save the registration. This will prevent the current style settings from being saved. Then you'll be able to recall that particular registration without it causing the style to change.
Hi there! Thanks- That makes total sense. However, I can’t seem to get rid of the style setting. Ie- I can select song on its own; and style, but voice always seems to have another button lit up!! I’ve tried to associate the same rhythm with both reg memories but it still changes. How can I get it so just the voice is lit up on the front panel? I’ve posted photos to show you what I mean- the voice button is always accompanied by either the song function or style function! I must be missing something dead simple!

Attachments

• 210180E3-589B-4AED-B57D-92D3925BAF1A.jpeg
    210180E3-589B-4AED-B57D-92D3925BAF1A.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 371

Ask a Question